View topic - Eating dehyrated dog food ?

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 10:05 am 

Hi

I was at my sisters home and found a bag of dog treats.The bag of Vitalife Chicken Tenders looked a lot like my dried chicken.The chicken is dried with nothing added.

This chicken is tasty but a little hard.After a good chew you get a distinct chicken taste.I placed a piece in water overnight and it reconstituted as well as my own dehydrated chicken.

My question to you all............has anyone else tried this type of product?

Vitalife web site list other products made in a similar fashion. Nutrition information seems better than "human food".I called them to ask for human consumption recommendations. They said it was dog food with nothing harmful to humans or dogs.

Karl

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 1:10 pm 

It was probably made in a feed mill, with lot's of other stuff destined for animal feed.
Personally I would prefer to make my own dehydrated chicken from ground chicken which is readily available in most Canadian supermarkets.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 1:21 pm 

Thanks I will pass. That product is made in China. The website is full of poor translation and mismatched words.

Fine for your pet. Perhaps not so fine for humans. Dog food can contain toxins and bacteria not fit for human consumption.

Also do you know the source of the chicken? Often poultry that is diseased or dying finds its way into pet food. Sure tastes like chicken though...

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 2:09 pm 

I've tried similar products. Nothing wrong with them.

I wouldn't feed my dogs anything I wasn't prepared to ingest myself.

That being said, we dehydrate our own chicken.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 3:41 pm 

I ate a dog treat once. It said cheesecake on the bag and I thought they were candies. They didn't taste like candies. Only after I started eating it did I notice the picture of the dog on the bag.

I did not die.

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 5:31 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Vitalife was the major target of the pet food scandal of a few years ago, was it not?

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 6:08 pm 

Red Lake Rob wrote:
I ate a dog treat once. It said cheesecake on the bag and I thought they were candies. They didn't taste like candies. Only after I started eating it did I notice the picture of the dog on the bag.

I did not die.

Well, hey.......that's all the proof I need. Must be safe then!! :rofl: :thumbup: Gotta rush out and get some Kibbles and Bits(looks like TVP anyway!!)

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 6:35 pm 

Red Lake Rob wrote:

I did not die.

This guy thinks you should be ok... He also mistook a dog treat for cheesecake. But, he didn't die.

I would try to avoid the dog food provisioning if possible, especially if its a group trip.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 6:47 pm 

I was raised in farm country and I've seen the dead and rotting animals and chicken shit that gets hauled off for dog food. From what I saw, not even the additives are food grade.

And after the nonsense in China with melamine paint and lead being used in human food and the associated deaths, I shutter to think what would go into dog food.

NO thanks. Sterilized or not, there is no way I'd eat that stuff.

Ted

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 8:50 pm 

arf,arf ( or is it barf, barf? )

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2011, 6:02 pm 

If you've ever been to a 'rending' plant where they make pet food, you wouldn't consider this a viable option. When they cut up a cow (or whatever), the best cuts are removed and packed, leaving behind the dregs (i.e. the face, head, spinal tissue, etc). Most of the dregs get reprocessed into patties for the fast food industry (really gross). The leftovers from this process get shredded and mixed with animals deemed unfit for human consumption and made into pet food. Bon appetit!

There are really good reasons why I haven't eaten at places like McDonald's or Burger King in a very, very long time. There are even better reasons why I have never eaten pet food. Not even out of morbid curiosity... :)

Cheers,
JB

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2011, 6:29 pm 

Jason Broersma wrote:
If you've ever been to a 'rending' plant where they make pet food, you wouldn't consider this a viable option. When they cut up a cow (or whatever), the best cuts are removed and packed, leaving behind the dregs (i.e. the face, head, spinal tissue, etc). Most of the dregs get reprocessed into patties for the fast food industry (really gross). The leftovers from this process get shredded and mixed with animals deemed unfit for human consumption and made into pet food. Bon appetit!

There are really good reasons why I haven't eaten at places like McDonald's or Burger King in a very, very long time. There are even better reasons why I have never eaten pet food. Not even out of morbid curiosity... :)

I've worked in the meat industry, grew up on a farm, and am not the least bit squeamish about food. That said, I think the "fit for human consumption" is stretched to the limits (and past) of what you would actually be willing to risk. Dogfood must be a whole order of magnitude worse.

In other news, I once ate a freeze-dried liver dog treat. Just raw liver, freeze-dried. It smelled so good. I did not die either, but it was touch and go for several hours I spent in the bathroom engaged in a pair of activities, both known to lead to dehydration. Am I being too cryptic? It wasn't pleasant at all.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2011, 9:11 pm 

:o I believe most of the processed foods meant for humans are not fit for consumption for healthy longevity never mind considering dog food with even lower standards.