View topic - Powdered eggs found at Bulk Barn

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 11th, 2011, 4:52 am 

Made a quick trip into our local bulk barn (brampton location) and to our suprise found they just started carrying powdered eggs. They also carry the jello instant cheese cake mix(very good with wild blueberries). However they've taken away the vegetarian chili mix. Hope that helps any looking for them!

PostPosted: August 8th, 2011, 7:44 pm 

I picked up some at the local BB not expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised! I've done a few test cooks and have settled upon some recipes to bring with me on my 8 day trip coming up.

Tonight I made some egg burritos and they were divine. Couldn't even tell it was powdered egg! Here's what I put in it:

2 tbsp powdered whole egg
1/2 cup (8 tbsp) water
2 tsp powdered milk
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 cup dehydrated green peppers
2 tortilla shells
2 slices shelf stable bacon
2 tbsp shredded cheese
salt
black pepper

Put the egg power into a ziplock bag, added the water and shook it up for a bit. Some of it had to be worked in by kneading the bag. Once it had the right consistency I put in the onion powder, milk, salt, pepper, and shook it up some more. At that point I added in the green peppers (which I let soak in water for a half hour before hand) and the cut up bacon slices and put them in and mixed it some more. While doing that I had brought water to a boil on my supercat and dropped the bag in there. After the fuel boiled off I checked it and decided to give it another minute and then took it out and put it under a folded cloth and forgot about it for a few minutes to firm up. Even though the egg was cooked it still needed to cool and firm up a bit. Before cutting open the bag there was some extra water inside that I had to drain off, I think it was condensation that formed as it cooled a bit. I cut the egg log in half and put it in a burrito with some shredded cheddar and rolled it up.

I'm still not big on the eating out of a bag idea so this was one of the few times I'd do it that way. You could eat it out of the bag w/ a spork and leave the wraps at home. And of course you could just fry this up on a frying pan, it makes a great omelette or scrambled eggs.

I'm so happy to be leaving the egg shells and big yellow plastic case at home. Not only did they take up too much space, but every attempt I've taken to keep them safe has failed. Even when lined with several layers of paper towels I still lost several eggs each trip. No more, no more.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2011, 9:56 pm 

Lots more discussion about the BB eggs here.

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 23&t=38328

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 12:42 pm 

Thanks, I was looking for that thread. That was the one that gave me the initial heads up as to finding them at Bulk Barn. For some reason I couldn't find it last night!