View topic - Best ribs?

It is currently September 16th, 2019, 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best ribs?
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 12:55 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

Kind of way off topic but...

I usually boil ribs for an hour or so before barbecuing but I heard there are much better ways to get melt-in-your-mouth ribs.

Any cave men or women who make the best ribs in the world out there?

Post subject: Re: Best ribs?
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 1:22 pm 

Believe it or not, this was a topic one night at DF09 (see, not that far off topic). It was recommended to wrap the ribs in foil and bake them in the oven before putting them on the grill.

Tony

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 1:37 pm 

Not to brag, but I do speak barbecue fluently.

1. The secret in in the rub... and the rub is a secret. :wink:

2. You've got to smoke them for about six hours at or near 220ºF (105ºC). This breaks down the connective tissue and makes the meat tender and pink. Not the same pink as uncooked pork, the color here is derived from the smoke. Regulate the heat within 15-20 degrees of the ideal by using a thermometer and by controlling your draft and vent.

3. Use indirect heat. The last thing you want is for the fat to drip onto the charcoal and make disgusting tasting fat smoke. The smoke should come from the wood chips alone. Real smokers have a separate smoke chamber and the heat and smoke is piped through the larger cooking chamber.

I don't have a real smoker grill, but I get excellent results with my Weber by placing a drip pan of water directly under the meat and putting the charcoal along each side of the drip pan.

4. Use real charcoal, not briquettes.

5. Chunks of wood last longer and are easier to get for free (just raid your firewood pile). You don't need to soak big chunks of wood, but you will go through lots of them. Hickory, maple and apple are best. If you use mesquite, only put it in during the last addition. It's a great flavor, but it can overpower the more subtle taste of the meat.

I like my ribs dry (they are plenty moist enough) but the other method uses a big mop with a basting solution after the ribs are done. Either way tastes great, but I prefer a crunchy crust outside and fall-apart, juicy meat on the inside.

Also, I don't boil or do anything else to the meat but slow cook it and use wood smoke.

You're a real nice guy, Neil, so if you ask I'll give you my rub recipe. But as long as your ingredients include brown sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt, you should be fine concocting your own.

Think I'll go off and bop Lady BK over the head with my club now. 8)

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 3:54 pm 

Long, slow cooking is surely better than boiling but if I have no smoker handy will 220 in the oven for 6 hours wrapped in foil do the trick with the secret rub?

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 4:36 pm 

any kind of slow cooking works(roasting pan,dutch oven)the one trick i've found is you have to take off that silver skin on the backside
I get this news letter http://www.smoking-meat.com/

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 5:42 pm 

I don't have a long enough trough to boil my ribs so I ladle the boiled water over them repeatedly until they are flexible enough to bend around my knees, then I would continue to pour ...

oops, wrong kind of ribs.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 6:16 pm 

hikerneil wrote:
Long, slow cooking is surely better than boiling but if I have no smoker handy will 220 in the oven for 6 hours wrapped in foil do the trick with the secret rub?

In the oven you will basically be steaming the ribs...no chance to develop that smokey flavour. For sure BK has the best technique to BBQ the ribs, but we managed good ribs on a propane BBQ at a friends cottage. We fast browned (not blackened) the rubbed ribs first then wrapped in foil and slow baked on the Q for about 3 hours. Mmmmmm....melt in your mouth good.

Get a good rib rub recipe. Skip that nasty, sweet bottled, slop.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 7:04 pm 

hikerneil wrote:

:doh:

Now, Neil... :roll:

OK, any slow cook method will give you tender ribs, but barbecue is barbecue.

I once invited some blues guys from the south to a barbecue. Boy, did they read me the riot act when I presented them with grilled meat. After a few beers, they allowed as how the meat was tasty, but it wasn't barbecue. That's when I found out about the slow smoking technique... and the magic of the rub.

The rub not only flavors the meat, it helps seal in the juices. The rub goes on dry and it ends up dry. Wrapping in foil will make a sloppy mess of the thing. The sugar caramelizes and makes a hard glaze over the meat.

Oh yeah... I forgot about that membrane. Yes, you do have to remove the membrane from the back of the ribs or the rub flavor won't penetrate.

You don't need to have a smoker to do this, any big grill with a cover will work. In fact, you definitely don't want to use a conventional (cold) smoker, it will give you a very different product. You need that heat in the boiling point range. 6 hours minimum for pork ribs, 10-12 for beef ribs. The connective tissue has to break down before the ribs are truly tender. The stuff gets like gelatin and bathes the meat in an indescribably delicious clear gravy. And you need lots of real smoke, otherwise the meat won't get that great pink color. No substitutes, unfortunately.

Neil, at your next fall rendezvous in the 'Dacks, I'll think about bringing along my setup. While you guys are out bagging peaks, I'll stay behind and do what I do best. Once you taste the real thing, you'll be spoiled for life. :wink:

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 7:48 pm 

Quote:
I usually boil ribs for an hour or so before barbecuing ...

WRONG!!! Stop right there. Boil? What, are you going to drink water?

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 8:01 pm 

OK BK will 6-10 hours in the Weber (the kettle charcoal kind) at very low indirect heat do?

I have only done ribs in the oven at 220 for as many hours as possible. Usually its not six and it sounds like it should be.

Yes the rub is the thing.. But I often get too much..and perhaps the secret recipe is the key.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 8:13 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
OK BK will 6-10 hours in the Weber (the kettle charcoal kind) at very low indirect heat do?

That's it. But get a cheap grill thermometer at HD or Wally World and prop it up in one of the vent holes on the top. Too low a temp is not good, get it around 220º F and try to keep it there. Takes a bit of tending, but that's why God invented beer. :wink:

Quote:
Yes the rub is the thing.. But I often get too much..and perhaps the secret recipe is the key.

Hm-m-m... it can be had for a price. Maybe some private canoeing lessons... 8) :lol:

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 8:47 pm 

Sorry you poor saps have to go through all that trouble. I just go to the grocery store and pick-up some Rudolph's ribs and let the free market economy do its thing.

Heaven.

You gotta specialize... :wink:

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2009, 7:12 am 

Strathcona wrote:
Sorry you poor saps have to go through all that trouble. I just go to the grocery store and pick-up some Rudolph's ribs and let the free market economy do its thing.

We've been known to drive almost an hour to get the real thing at "Chico's". Chico came from Texas with only his motorcycle and "the rub". Now he's an institution whose place attracts big crowds of bikers from spring to fall.

Lots of gleamimg Harley's parked out front = excellent ribs. :wink:

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2009, 8:55 am 

How about indirect heat in a gas barbecue? No tin foil.

What type of beer do you put in your cooker?

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2009, 12:10 pm 

hikerneil wrote:
How about indirect heat in a gas barbecue? No tin foil.

What type of beer do you put in your cooker?

NEIL! The beer goes in the chef, not the cooker. :lol:

I usually use Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for the purpose, but any high alcohol content beer will be fine. 8)

They make little metal boxes for gas grills that hold moistened wood chips to make smoke with. Get one of those and all you might need is to control the heat so it doesn't get too hot and overcook the meat before it breaks down. You can probably get by with less tending that way as well, but you won't get to drink as much beer.

Placing a cookie sheet filled with water (not beer) directly under the meat will shield it from the direct heat of the gas burner and will add some needed moisture to the system as well.

Bottom line is, I'm no snob when it comes to cooking. If you can find a way to get great ribs using a gas grill, I'll go out and buy one myself. I'll even buy your cookbook. :wink: