View topic - Best ribs?

Canadian Canoe Routes
https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/

Best ribs?
https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32263
Page 6 of 6

Author:  TemagamiPete [ March 29th, 2010, 11:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Best ribs?

I would suggest using rib racks to hold the ribs on edge. That cuts down on the space required a lot.
Go to the Canadian BBQ forum for help in building/renting a smoker.
http://www.bbqtalk.ca/forums/index.php

Author:  dunkin' [ March 29th, 2010, 12:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Best ribs?

I have done like Pete recommends. You do have to allow for a longer cook time due to the mass of ribs to be cooked. I imagine it would depend on how much heat your smoker puts out. With my smaller Bradley Smoker, it took quite a while to get to temp.

You can always do up a bunch ahead of time, and just warm them up before serving too, that works good. I have put ribs straight off the smoker into large ziplocks, wrapped them in towels, and placed them in a cooler. This will keep them plenty hot for eating for a few hours. If you add boiling water to the towels an hour before serving, you have time to do up a second batch. Total smoking time for two smokes would be around 8 hours, or more.

Author:  TemagamiPete [ March 29th, 2010, 2:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Best ribs?

dunkin' wrote:
I have done like Pete recommends. You do have to allow for a longer cook time due to the mass of ribs to be cooked. I imagine it would depend on how much heat your smoker puts out. With my smaller Bradley Smoker, it took quite a while to get to temp.

You can always do up a bunch ahead of time, and just warm them up before serving too, that works good. I have put ribs straight off the smoker into large ziplocks, wrapped them in towels, and placed them in a cooler. This will keep them plenty hot for eating for a few hours. If you add boiling water to the towels an hour before serving, you have time to do up a second batch. Total smoking time for two smokes would be around 8 hours, or more.


Good ideas, dunkin. With a smoker box and a big gas grill, you could do a batch of 6 - 8 racks at a time. Rotate end to end and top to bottom halfway in the cook. sauce, if you wish, only during the last 10 - 15 min of the cook. Ribs keep very well in a cooler for a few hours. Wrapping in foil then in towels works well, too.
Cook without sauce, then sauce and put them back on the grill to set the sauce and warm them a bit before serving. You can cook a day ahead and serve them that way, too.

Neil, your recipe is very close to the "Best ribs in the Universe" recipe -- it looks like a winner!

Author:  Hiker Neil [ March 29th, 2010, 4:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Best ribs?

TemagamiPete wrote:
Neil, your recipe is very close to the "Best ribs in the Universe" recipe -- it looks like a winner!

You been standing around the smoker a lot?

Go back and look at this post in this thread:
Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:39 am

Author:  Battenkiller [ April 1st, 2010, 7:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Best ribs?

Temps going to hit in the 70s here... American degrees, that is. How do you express that in Canadian degrees? Can't say it's going to be in "the 20s", because that could mean anything from 68ºF to 86ºF. I like most things metric (hey, it's fun driving down the highway going 100), but give me Fahrenheit degrees for weather, please. :roll: :lol:

Anyway, it's my first real yard day. Yesterday was my last day with the wood stove, so I'll start with cleaning up the wood storage area. Pick up the branches from the winter storms, uncover the outside boat building bench, maybe start stripping the varnish off the inside of Lady BK's "Nakoma". Hook up the hose, sweep and wash the deck, put out the deck furniture, stack a summer's worth of wood for the chiminea, fill up our ten tacky Tiki torches... and cook up a big mess of ribs.

FWIW, here's my secret rib rub recipe (try saying that three times fast):

Basic BBQ Rib Rub Recipe

1 cup Brown sugar
2 tbs. Paprika
1 tbs. Cayenne pepper
1 tbs. Cumin powder
1 tbs. Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbs. Garlic powder
1 tbs. Onion powder
1 tbs. Dry mustard
1 tbs. Poultry seasoning
1 tbs. Canning salt
1 tsp. File powder
1 tsp. Ground ginger
1/8 tsp. Ground cloves

Beer of the day will be Sierra Nevada "Bigfoot Ale". 9.5% alcohol content. If I make it through a six-pack of that stuff, I promise not to post anything later on. Drinking and posting just don't mix. :wink:

Author:  scoops [ April 1st, 2010, 4:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Best ribs?

Battenkiller wrote:

Basic BBQ Rib Rub Recipe

1 cup Brown sugar
2 tbs. Paprika
1 tbs. Cayenne pepper
1 tbs. Cumin powder
1 tbs. Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbs. Garlic powder
1 tbs. Onion powder
1 tbs. Dry mustard
1 tbs. Poultry seasoning
1 tbs. Canning salt
1 tsp. File powder
1 tsp. Ground ginger
1/8 tsp. Ground cloves

Beer of the day will be Sierra Nevada "Bigfoot Ale". 9.5% alcohol content. If I make it through a six-pack of that stuff, I promise not to post anything later on. Drinking and posting just don't mix. :wink:


Looks like a good balance of flavor, hint of clove and sage with all the stuff in the File. Using a sauce or eating them dry?

Author:  wotrock [ April 1st, 2010, 4:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Best ribs?

Battenkiller wrote:
.


Basic BBQ Rib Rub Recipe

1 cup Brown sugar
2 tbs. Paprika
1 tbs. Cayenne pepper
1 tbs. Cumin powder
1 tbs. Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbs. Garlic powder
1 tbs. Onion powder
1 tbs. Dry mustard
1 tbs. Poultry seasoning
1 tbs. Canning salt
1 tsp. File powder
1 tsp. Ground ginger
1/8 tsp. Ground cloves

Beer of the day will be Sierra Nevada "Bigfoot Ale". 9.5% alcohol content. If I make it through a six-pack of that stuff, I promise not to post anything later on. Drinking and posting just don't mix. :wink:


That's all very well, BK, but what the heck is tbs and tsp converted to normal metric units? e.g. mL. Or do we somehow have to figure
it out in drams, furlongs, rods, chains etc?? :o :-? :roll: :D

Author:  littleredcanoe [ April 1st, 2010, 5:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Best ribs?

1 teaspoon = 80 mimims
1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons.

How many mimims in a tablespoon?
How many drams? There are .0166 drams in a minim.

For those having a pint. They are drinking 128 drams. How many minims?

No wonder they have to go pee :rofl:

Author:  splashdancer [ April 1st, 2010, 6:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Best ribs?

Battenkiller wrote:

Basic BBQ Rib Rub Recipe

1 cup Brown sugar
2 tbs. Paprika
1 tbs. Cayenne pepper
1 tbs. Cumin powder
1 tbs. Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbs. Garlic powder
1 tbs. Onion powder
1 tbs. Dry mustard
1 tbs. Poultry seasoning
1 tbs. Canning salt
1 tsp. File powder
1 tsp. Ground ginger
1/8 tsp. Ground cloves


Busy quickly writing out recipe, ...."1 T canning salt, 1 t file powder"??? :o , google to the rescue!

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/07/03/h ... le-powder/

....No Sassafras tree in my yard. :( Love it when there's an excuse to look for something new to me in a spice store. :D

Page 6 of 6 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/