View topic - food packing for 5 days

It is currently December 5th, 2019, 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: food packing for 5 days
PostPosted: July 30th, 2008, 8:06 am 

Has anyone got any new/innovative ideas for food prep/packing for a trip of this length. I usually take a small soft sided cooler that fits inside the barrel and it hold steak and potatoes for night one, frozen pre-cooked hamburger and chicken for wraps for night two, night three has been a pasta dish with canned chicken or the like and night four has bben pasta.
Brands for dried food etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks to all
Great forum here and keep up the good work

Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.....Henry David Thoreau

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2008, 8:12 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Don't mind me...just here to move this thread over to "The Camper's Kitchen" forum.

Barbara

PostPosted: December 26th, 2008, 10:56 am 

On remote fly in float trips, weight/volume are always obstacles when planning meals. Also, if you are not carrying a cooler, you have more to factor in. While there are many ways to do things, some work better than others. Each float trip, we revise our food choices, holding on to what worked last time, and improving on food choices we were not so happy. Below is a brief run down of how I do things. Perhaps some of this information will generate some thought to help you better plan food on your next float trip.

For breakfast, we like bagels with the precooked bacon packs. The Boars Head comes in two seperate pouches which is convenient. Oscar Meyer comes in one bigger pack. We like block cheese and Harvest Food eggs (see their website for all kinds of great products). I use their powdered oil/shortening in my dutch oven. Works just like regular oil but without the weight/mess. We also take hot oatmeal and recently discovered Richmoor cold cereal. Just add water type. It comes in granola with strawberries and granola with raspberries. Both are delicious. I am 6' 6" and weigh 300 lbs. So I will buy 4 packs of the cereal and vacuum seal. 2.5 for me and 1.5 for my wife. If you eat a 2,000 calorie a day diet normally, perhaps one pack would be enough for breakfast. They taste great. I buy mine from www.wildernessdining.com This site sells lots of other great food items. Check out their website for all kinds of food related items. Great selection of hard to find items. I get the peanut butter and jelly individual packs there too. Great for putting on flour tortilla wraps or bagels for snacks/lunches. Very convenient. Comes with strawberry or grape jelly. These are larger packs and have plenty to make a sandwich or bagel. They also sell cheese in packs like this. That with some pilot bread would make a great snack/lunch.

For lunch we take Mountain House Pro Paks. Vacuum sealed and slightly smaller portions than the regular Mtn House meals, they pack small and light yet are plenty for lunch. They come in about 10 different types. Spaghetti, Chili Mac, and Lasagna are my favorites. Go to the Mountain House website and order there. I just placed a big order myself for an upcoming NW Alaska in Sept. They ship fast. One nice thing about having these meals for lunch everyday is that it makes things simple. No meal planning. Save that for the dinners. Keep it simple. Just boil some water riverside and have lunch. This route also saves weight compared to many other food ideas.

For dinner, we go through more trouble. For the purpose of good morale perhaps. We take Darn Good (brand) dried chilli bags and make Jiffy cornbread in the dutch oven. We also make grayling gumbo. We take Zatarains Gumbo (dry mix) and slivers of about 2 lbs of grayling. Cook slow while the Bisquick garlic biscuits cook in the aluminum GSI 10" dutch oven. It only weighs 4 lbs and can be found on the wilderness dining website above. Also at Campmor.com. We cook fish for about 3/7 meals too. Usually dolly vardon (arctic char). We get Idaho instant potatoes (garlic is our favorite). We will make garlic bisuits in the dutch oven to go with. We also make mac and cheese to go with fish. Simple things like that. Some of the easy to make Suddenly Salad brands are nice too. They have a ranch and italian cold pasta salad. Great sides for a fish meal. We have also packed the 10" pita pizza deals. Take the pizza sauce in the bags and some block cheese to grate. Two person may be enough. And of course the pepperoni. In a pinch, we will just have one of the extra Mtn House Pro Paks. Maybe too tired to cook or got into camp late. Bad weather and such. I always carry 2-3 extra Mtn House Pro Paks. One tip, tape a disposable plastic spoon to the lasagna packs. The cheese in them is nearly impossible to get off your standard Lexan spoon. We burn the disposable spoon with the bag the meal was in. Dishes done.

Save the clean lexan spoon for stirring the 100 proof peppermint schnapps into the hot chocolate. Also, Captain Morgans rum and hot apple cider is a good camp fire drink. For other times of the day, we take Crystal Light sticks and perhaps one gatorade packet per person/per day.

For deserts, we take the Backpackers Pantry (brand) cheese cake and cream pie (same things). I love lemon, but chocolate mouse, strawberry, banana, and dark chocolate are great. Just add and stir some cold water into the bag, then sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top (included in the pack) and then let it sit and think for about 10 minutes. This desert must be tried. Amazing stuff.

For snacks, the normal fare. Dried fruit and beef jerky vacuum seals to very small packs. Leave out the mango and apricots as it makes everything sticky. We love Cliff bars as they can get squished and are not effected by heat. Comes in about 20 flavors. And of course some home made gorp with the larger size M&M's.

For coffee, only Peet's arabian mocha java or major dickisons blend will do. Order online from Peet's and specify that you want press pot grind. You do this when finalizing the order. Get a french press to take on the trip. I have a stainless model that I got from Campmor. I think they quit carrying that model, but REI and others carry it. GSI also makes some lexan french presses. They work fine, I just preferred the stainless model. Point is, this makes great coffee and it is the perfect way to start a day on a float trip. We get small 16,8,4 ounce nalgene bottles (campmor) and put the coffe, powdered creamer, and sweetener in them. Good stuff man.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2008, 11:37 am 

jerryc wrote:
Brands for dried food etc. would be appreciated.

Enertia Trail Foods

Simple prep.
Practical packaging.
Very tasty.
Good portions, lots of calories and energy.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2009, 4:55 pm 

This is not really any advice I guess since it has to do with modifying an eating habit, but when one drops meat, then it becomes much simpler. Potatoes tend to keep for quite a while without anything special, and so do carrots. Peppers and tomatoes can keep a few days. Cheese keeps some days. Eggs for the first day. Bulghur, couscous, lentils, oatmeal, peanut butter, olive oil, TVP, whole wheat flour, all need no extra care to keep. Nile Spice soup mixes (Loblaw's) can be put into bags and they keep quite a while (look at expiration date on bottom). Apples, oranges tend to keep for some time. Bread can keep for a few days, depending on what type. Good German rye bread (Loblaw's) keeps more. Thin pita (Lebanese style) also. Finnish dry bread keeps forever. Good GORP (no candies in the mix) is also nutrional and keeps long.

All it needs to make a complete protein is a mix of grain and bean in about 3 to 1. This means couscous with TVP, bulghur with lentils, peanut butter and bread, for instance. A bit of practice at home cooking the meals using the camp stove and there you go. 5 days without meat will not kill you, you know ;-)

Cheers.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2009, 6:34 pm 

Perhaps you would like to peruse the archived threads on this general topic. There is a ton of stuff.

Last summer on a hot weather trip my eggs kept for 8 days, and my cheese lasted 16 days with no problem. Personally I prefer dry foods that I can rehydrate with the water surrounding me. I can't imagine lugging potatoes across a portage, for example instead of potato flakes. Though on this last trip I did bring tofu that was packaged in a way that required no refrigeration.

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2009, 8:32 am 

I usually dehydrate some chicken and hamburger to add to other dishes to give it some substance. I now have a dehydrator,but I've done it in my oven for years. If you have a Real Canadian Superstore near you, they have all kinds of dried foods in the packaged food section. Some of the brands are:

Clubhouse - great for powdered pasta sauces
Knorr (soupworks)- some really good, hearty soups
Lipton Sidekicks - these help fill the pit
of course KD, mixed with some rehydrated hamburger and pasta sauce...it's amazing what we'll eat in the bush, since I wouldn't touch KD at home...lol
Schneiders precooked bacon - doesn't need to be refrigerated...just be careful not to heat up too much (remember it's already cooked)

Pick up a few packages of tuna in foil wrap and some mayo packages from a fast food restuarant. Tear open the foil pack, add in the mayo, mix in foil pack, scoop into pita, add some cheese and voila...a great lunch.

You can also take some cheesecloth ( I use a tough paper towel) and soak it in vinegar (make sure to ring it out well) and wrap some cheddar cheese in it. The cheese will last for days (some tell me weeks). Great for a grilled cheese, with your Knorr tomato soup, on a cold day.

Walk through the grocery store and be creative. You'll likely find everything you need for a five day trip.

Good Luck!!

Brad

PostPosted: February 1st, 2009, 9:10 am 

carcassonne wrote:
Eggs for the first day.
All it needs to make a complete protein is a mix of grain and bean in about 3 to 1. This means couscous with TVP, bulghur with lentils, peanut butter and bread, for instance. .

Actually, eggs will last for the 5 days no problem. Beans and rice make a complete protein as well. I'm not sure where you live, but in the Toronto area one can buy packages of Grace brand Carribean beans and rice in about 3 different flavors. we have used these a lot, not necessarily alone but as the basis for a varity of meals. You'll need the smaller beans---black for e.g.---so that they'll cook faster.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2009, 9:43 am 

Salami and pepperoni, the kind that's seen hanging unrefrigerated in the deli, is high in energy and will keep a long time in hot weather.

Margarine will keep a few days, and olive oil and cooking oil much longer. Try Becel oil if you get tired of olive oil. This is the stuff that will get you there and back... maybe you saw the Antarctic trip recently where they ate a golfball-sized cube of margarine with every meal. Cold-weather mountaineers also tend to have greasy eating habits.

Dark chocolate.

One of the best treats around camp is freshly-baked bannock... the flour and the oil can be used to fry fish if there are any caught.

Sigurd Olsen's recipe...

Quote:
This bannock recipe, which Sigurd said is "for four, depending on appetite and what else goes with it," comes from a letter he wrote on December 18, 1962.

Three or four cups of flour, a good pinch of salt, a few tablespoons of bacon grease, a level teaspoon of baking powder, enough warm water to make dough. Kneed the dough well, turning it over and over until all the ingredients are well mixed and the dough of even consistency. Use only enough water to make a rather dry dough. Too much water and it is spoiled.

Then, depending on the size of your frying pan, cut off enough of the dough to pat into a well-greased pan, making the bannock at this stage not more than half an inch in thickness. Have it fill the pan.

Now it is ready for the baking. You can start it over a low flame very gently so as not to burn, but it is better to do as the Indians and Old Timers—prop your pan beside the fire so it will get the heat and bake from the top. After the top is done, you can turn it and brown the other side. It usually takes about twenty minutes. The secret is a slow, even heat.

After it is done you can rub it with more bacon grease to make a nice juicy crust. Many like to add some fruit to the bannock, raisins, any chopped fruit, dried, or anything you can pick in season. It does something.

This is the bread of the north and worth working at.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2009, 11:33 am 

Hi all,
Regarding eggs....
Actually, if you can find an egg farmer and get FRESH eggs (not at the local grocery store), they will last for nearly 3 months, as long as the shell does not crack. My parents used to have a hobby farm- with chickens that produced more eggs than they could handle and had to keep track of what was at the 3 month limit.

To take eggs, I usually use the Canadian Tires yellow, hard plastic carton with one layer of paper towels on the top and bottm. This helps to absorb possible shock/crackage.

Melissa

PostPosted: February 1st, 2009, 4:09 pm 

Here is a suggestion. At home when cooking your favorite type of one pot wander meals just make more than you need. Buy a dehydrator and dehydrate your meals. That way you are eating the same food as you do at home and you can take along all the food you need for many more days than 5. Yes, fresh eggs will last for 5 or more days, hard boiled eggs will last twice as long, make sure the shell does not get cracked, along with many types of cheese and some spicy types of salami and partially dried meat in the deli. Take along the pre-cooked bacon you can buy in the store. Make bannock.

Bill

www.friendsoftemagami.org
www.friendsofchiniguchi.com
www.wildernesscleanup.com

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2009, 11:54 am 

If you can dehydrate your leftovers, you probably don't need to buy pre-cooked bacon. You can cook that at home too. Using the pre-cooked version saves a lot on the mess, weight, smell, time & clean-up. However, I still like to bring good slab bacon for some trips. Bacon isn't what it used to be and it seems to be getting harder to find the good stuff.

Ditto on eggs - they have a perfectly good microbial barrier built into them. In other parts of the world they would laugh at us for keeping them in a fridge.

Bryan

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 5:26 pm 

DANATTHEROCK wrote:
We like block cheese and Harvest Food eggs (see their website for all kinds of great products). I use their powdered oil/shortening in my dutch oven.
Is Harvest Food an online store? Could somebody provide a URL?
I failed to find it using Google.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2009, 5:47 pm 

http://www.harvestfoodworks.com/index.cfm
Holy Cow :D I beat Barbara to a post! :lol:

PostPosted: February 24th, 2009, 11:59 am 

cassscone..... I love mung beans and curry....yum. The TVP I draw the line at :lol:
meat eaters that go veggie for a long trip maybe should bring some beano to help their tripmates.
how to put this........ there are time when lower intestine gas can assault more than two sences at a time, particlualry when said culprit is a loved one and the quarters are close.

now....can i ask the experts if they have any experiecne with this product:
http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp ... &ProdID=16