View topic - looking for ideas to cook fresh caught fish

It is currently October 22nd, 2019, 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 12:17 am 

during the weekend trips my son and I do we often spend some time fishing with him often spending alot of time fishing well I paddle. So often enouph we have fish in our diet. Now I have never thought of many things I been reading to create a diet beyond Kraft dinner and the like. What would be some ideas to spice up the fish beyond throwing it in a pan and just frying it up

Take your time. Do it right. Let speed take care of itself

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 7:45 am 

IMHO there are few things better than freshly caught fish and the flavor it has without adulteration. I'm talking trout fried when they're so fresh they curl up in the pan! Shore lunches simply don't get better if you add anything to the fish!

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 7:45 am 

sushi

frying fresh fish in olive oil after it has been dredged in flour spiced with garlic and pepper is perfect, why change it.

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 7:51 am 

Fresh fish is hard to beat. Grill it on the fire flesh side down for a couple minutes then flip to skin side down and cook till just done. The skin will char but protects the flesh. Alternatively fish is really good in a stew or thick soup. Make a soup base --- lots of ready to cook options in the local supermart --- add spices you like --- curry, cumin for Indian --- basil, oregano etc. for Italian/French --- simmer for a while and drop in chunks of fish. It will cook in just a couple minutes. You can also bake fish in tinfoil buried in coals from the fire. Only way to ruin fish is to overcook it or eat it when it isnt fresh.
S

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 8:23 am 

The aluminum foil method is good when you don't want to mess around with oil, frying pan and cleanup afterwards. Coat the fish with margarine and seasoning salt, crimp the foil closed and set the packet on the grill or coals at about ten minutes per inch thickness. Used aluminum foil will burn away completely in a hot fire.

Fillets from larger fish are good panfried... roll in flour, add some seasoning salt and fry in oil.

There are fish spice mixes sold at outdoors stores to add more flavor when pan frying... I've never tried them. Fish on it's own tastes good enough at a campfire, the only spice I've added is a touch of seasoning salt.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 10:26 pm 

There are so many ways to have fish. Common to all of them is to ensure that the fish is not overcooked.

One of the easiest but best ways I know of to cook fish is to fillet it and then pan fry in some olive oil, ground pepper, dill weed, and slivers of ginger.

Other ways that have proven popular with my family is grilling over a fire with the fish brushed with honey and mustard, baked in tinfoil with olive oil, dill, and ginger, fried and then served in tacos, and in a curry.

Can't beat having fresh fish while out canoeing.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 10:37 pm 

1. Try a "rub". You can buy them, or make them. Basically salt and seasonings. Put the rub and a bit of oil on the fillets 30 minutes before you fry. This gets the flavour a bit deeper into the flesh.

2. Use some almond slivers and lemon pepper. Lemon pepper is basically msg, so it is cheating, but it tastes good.

As mentioned, don't overcook. This is delicate, a few minutes tops.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2009, 8:47 am 

Red Lake Rob wrote:
frying fresh fish in olive oil after it has been dredged in flour spiced with garlic and pepper is perfect, why change it

Frying fresh fish in bacon fat after it has been dredged in flour spiced with garlic and pepper is perfect, why change it?

I almost never keep any fish that won't fit inside a 12" fry pan, so this was always the way I did it, and it is the method, I am told, that was used in fine restaurants in Paris back in the day.

Then one day...

frozentripper wrote:
The aluminum foil method is good when you don't want to mess around with oil, frying pan and cleanup afterwards. Coat the fish with margarine and seasoning salt, crimp the foil closed and set the packet on the grill or coals at about ten minutes per inch thickness.

I brought a brace of 16'' trout to a friends house and they wouldn't fit in anything she had. That's when she introduced me to the second best way to cook fish. She wrapped them up just like frozentripper said, but since she had a real nice herb garden, she inserted some fresh chive and garlic greens and a sprig of rosemary. Cooked them on the Weber grill along with the steak, potatoes and corn. They were heavenly tasting.

frozentripper wrote:
Used aluminum foil will burn away completely in a hot fire.

Hey, freeze, are you trying to ignite that old "burn or pack out" garbage argument? :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :lol:

PostPosted: April 18th, 2009, 12:39 pm 

I like the tinfoil method for reduced cleanup, and the oil method with some flour or other powdery goodness. I can't wait to go to the park and eat fantastic lake and brook trout. So fresh and sustainable... mmm it makes my mouth water.