View topic - Packing for the long haul

It is currently September 16th, 2019, 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2009, 10:55 pm 

Whats the longest anyone here has ever packed worth of food without re-supplying? 4 weeks?

Whats are some of the best foods in terms of calories/protein per square inch?

Thanks!

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 3:27 am 

Quote:
Whats are some of the best foods in terms of calories/protein per square inch?

Beans! You could do an entire trip with a bag of beans, a bag of rice, a bag of sugar and an assortment of seasonings......a supply of multi-vitamin would be a nice addition

Here's a useful site, you can look up all types of food items and get calorie/protein info:

http://caloriecount.about.com/

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 5:42 am 

I completely agree with recped - beans! With the addition of some pasta, rolled oats, and some tinned oysters, I have stayed out for several weeks at a time. :)

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 7:54 am 

Yeah! but who wants to eat beans for 45 straight days.... only if you are solo and desperate. :wink:

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 11:07 am 

When you say "beans" in what form are you referring to? Dehydrated?

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 11:27 am 

I don't know much about nutrition, but my understanding is that the body really suffer if deprived of fat for a long time: one reason for the voyaguers pork and beans diet.

Navy beans etc are already dry and will keep indefinitely---OK if fuel is not a concern e.g cooking with wood.

I you eat beans all the time you'd have to be solo, or else pack gas masks! :) :roll:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 12:30 pm 

Homme du Nord:
All joking aside, I do use beans in some tripping dishes, but I cook them at home and dry them in my dehydrator. Otherwise they take for ever to rehydrate before using them.
Since I happen to like Pork and Beans in the bush here is is simple recipe for a solo person:

Cooked dried white beans 50g
Brown Sugar 2Tbls
Prepared Mustard 5g
Dried Onions 10g
Pasta Powder 20g
Molasses 40g
Pepper 1/8tsp
Vinegar 5g
Meat ( precooked Bacon works well) 25g
~165g total
Pack the Beans separately so you can get them in your pot first. Also pack the mustard, sugar and molasses in their own packages. Keep the pasta powder separate as well. Bring the vinegar in a small bottle (or collect some from your local MacDonald's) . Cut the bacon up into small peices and add last.

You can start to cook( heat) this up and be eating in about 15 minutes if you have cooked the beans completely before dehydrating them.

It is quite yummy.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 1:56 pm 

The longest I've tripped for is two weeks and if I were to plan the food again, I'd have added in more fats... back then I thought that carbs would get us through and they did, but the real energy and staying power is in the fats.

Greasy salami (my gawd salami tastes good at the campfire along with freshly made bannock and jam), cooked bacon, pepperoni, smoked ham slices, margarine, chocolate, nuts, cheese... these are now included in with the carbs and they help make a meal filling and long-lasting.

In hot weather olive oil, or Becel oil if you don't want the olive taste, can be substituted if there's a chance that the margarine could spoil.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 2:33 pm 

Homme -

I think that the most calorie-dense foods you will find for extended travel are fats - lard, butter ghee, oils, nuts, peanut butter, whole (not skim) milk powder, etc.

In drying meats, removing the fat is important to avoid spoilage: but to get the calories (and flavour) I think you need to add that fat back, in some fashion, when rehydrating / cooking on the trip.

Mac - if you see this, what is "pasta powder" in your recipe - some kind of spice mix? I haven't heard the term before.

I often buy canned (cooked) beans and lentils for drying, to avoid the need to cook before drying.

-jmc

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 3:17 pm 

I don't agree with that 'fats' thing. I haven't eaten any form of "food-with-a-face" for over 40 years under any circumstances, so I sure don't carry meat or meat-substitutes when out tripping. Don't carry margarine/butter/whatever either. A little canola or olive oil for cooking,(only rarely used, coz I don't carry a skillet or frying pan either) but that's it. And I don't think I have any 'stamina' problems - I'm a 63-yr-old woman who's still travelling solo (with my little dog bow-mate), and still having a ball, after 48 seasons out there. :)

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 4:01 pm 

sk8r:
Well sk8r, fellow Jack Russell tripper, I would never have guessed.
Congratulations. There are very few trippers like you.

jmc:
Pasta powder is a dried version of pasta sauce. You could use tomato powder or paste in this recipe.
I used to buy commercial pasta sauce and then dry it and use it in sauces for spaghetti, lasagne etc. But then I discovered tomatoe powder. You can mix it with dried.... onion, italian spices, parsley, chives, brown sugar, salt, pepper etc as a dry blend then rehydrate it to make a pasta sauce. Throw in a little bit of olive oil before using and it tastes about the same as the commercial variety, without the hassle of drying it. This version does cake a little bit, but that can be prevented by adding some silica to it.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 4:09 pm 

jmc wrote:
Homme -

I think that the most calorie-dense foods you will find for extended travel are fats - lard, butter ghee, oils, nuts, peanut butter, whole (not skim) milk powder, etc.
-jmc

Fats have approx twice the calories per gram as protein.Not sure how much more than carbs, but quite substantial. Nevertheless, that was not the reason why I was suggesting fats. I'd like to eliminate most fat too if I could get away with it. Following Sk8r's assertion, I will do some more reading on the subject. Maybe some of you know of some unbiased sources of info re how much fat we really need.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 4:47 pm 

Fats are not necessary for your body to withstand long treks.

Calories (source of energy) can be derived from Protein, Carbohydrates, Lipids (fats). If you over-consume carbohydrates, (ie. consumer more than you burn) it will turn into fat. Now, chances are, while traveling for a month at a time, you will be under-consuming and therefore losing weight.

The point is, fats are not "needed" or necessarily desireable. What is desireable is "calories" (and proper nutrition if we get deeper into it). If fat has more calories per inch than lets say other forms of carbohydrates or protein, then great fat works (of course in moderation).

This of course is an oversimplification of nutrition for energy sake. But the question really isn't which foods have more carbs or protein, as it is which have more "calories" - understanding of course that a balance of protein to carbs must be struck, generally with a proportion of about 1:3 (chocolate milk!) is desireable for proper recovery after long days of paddling.

Homme du Nord

ps. I used to be a competitive Triathlete = long training days....

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 4:57 pm 

Thanks Mac. I will try that this summer.

sk8r, I was not trying to prescribe a diet, just point out that a given volume of fat contains more calories than an equal volume of carbohydrates. Keep on tripping.

-jmc

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 7:02 pm 

A gram of carbohydrate contains 4 calories while a gram of fat has 9... so for ultralite types, packing foods high in fats will cut down on the weight of the food pack.

How much fat do you need? Depends on how much energy you need to burn... the Antarctic trekkers in the news recently ate margarine by the tablespoonful with each meal to keep their energy up. Mountaineers pack tubs of margarine because it's lighter than packing carbs and helps provide more energy.

Sk8r... Your food choices, you've probably worked out what is best for you... my time spent out there tends to be sorta high-energy, so I find foods high in fat go over better.

Gotta go, time to have my daily bowl of margarine.