View topic - Packing for the long haul

It is currently September 22nd, 2019, 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2009, 7:20 pm 

E-e-w-w-w-w-w-w-w......

That's just nasty...... :tsk:

PostPosted: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 pm 

traditional (ethnic, regional, whole food whatever)
55:15:30
Carb:pro:fat

carbs are as complex as you can make them....ie instant oatmeal won't cut it....does fine in 1 week trips.....but it's glycemic index is greater than instand mashed especially the maple sugar one.

Calorie counter: (has canoe flat water)
http://www.yvesveggie.com/calorie/default.htm

fats and aerobic activity......which is below your aerobeic threshold.....medium chain fats are a good source of energy as they are absorbed and used
real coconut is an example

.......with evening meals after activity (recovery) you might want to restore your muscle glycogen
avoid as much heavily processed carbs as you can so the burn is slow....... if you're worried about energy take some chocolate or those energy gels.....
do't wait to eat until you're hungry, snack often and take in some water every 20 minutes.

forgot:dietary content food labels here:
http://www.nutrientfacts.com/searchfood ... tern&var=5

PostPosted: April 24th, 2009, 8:11 pm 

I think nuts have been under emphasized. High calorie, keep practically forever, good fats, provide fiber, etc. I like to visit the baking section of the supermarket and get chocolate chips, walnuts, almonds and cashews for a high end gorp. use it for lunch, snacks, or dessert.!

peanut butter also ! Don't leave home without it !

PostPosted: April 25th, 2009, 5:57 am 

Quite right Douglas - they're high in protein and good for fats, too (even I gotta eat some fat... :) ). I also add cranberries and raisins to the mix -yummm. (I don't put chocolate in tho' - that doesn't sound very tasty to me... and besides, if I did, Bandit couldn't share, and that would NEVER do!)

PostPosted: April 25th, 2009, 8:10 am 

Sk8r:
Interesting comment about the chocolate.
A few years ago I was with a group sitting around a large bush table and someone passed around peices of a Toberlone bar. A young lady put her peice on the top of her day pack sitting on the ground. It was dark out, Pepper was foraging around the table and got it.
Fortunately it was only 1 peice and not enough to poison her.
I am not sure if all dog owners know that chocolate is a no no for them.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2009, 8:22 am 

I carry around enough fat, that I don't need to worry about fat intake on even a 2-month trip. We bring no oils. I have a friend who needs oil on a long trip, but he doesn't carry around all the built-in canoeing fuel I have.

There is nothing special about our meals.
We eat instant oatmeal with coffee nearly every morning. Cliff Bar at mid-morning. Wasa PB&J, trail mix lunch. Pasta, pasta & beans, or rice with veggies and flavoring for dinner. Fairly typical canoe food. (Our food is standard, but I originally did a daily calorie budget. I think it's around 2500. I start burning fat fast after 3 weeks, and will lose up to ~10-lbs total in a month.)

I think 'Coke Stop in Emo' Alec Ross put cold water in instant oatmeal packets every morning. Kruger/Waddell seemed to eat a diet that was mostly pancakes when they paddled cross country. Oil is a pain in the butt to clean, and oil is heavy.

Your typical Algonquin/Boundary Waters canoer hauls way too much unnecesary gear to easily carry 4-weeks of food. If weight or space is an issue, look to your gear first, before your food.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2009, 10:43 am 

I easily can pack 3 weeks food for two people in 1 food barrel.
... and I always end up bringing some back with me...

So using that logic, if you're traveling solo, you should be able to go for 6 weeks on a single barrel's worth of food.

Mike

PostPosted: April 25th, 2009, 10:52 am 

3 week trips! you teachers have all the fun!

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 11:48 am 

Raisins are a no-no for dogs too.

Pete

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 1:05 pm 

Why raisins? Bandit's been munching 'em for 11 seasons now, and her 2 JRT predecessors (passed away at 15 and 14 years old) did the same for all their seasons as well - total of 38 canoe-seasons of my 3 grrls eating raisins with no problems.

Dunno - maybe there's a medical reason, but I sure never ran into it.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 3:02 pm 

Try this Wikipedia article Sk8r:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_and_ ... ty_in_dogs

There are still many unknowns with raisins. I used to give my dogs raisins also until the Vets starting listing it as a renal toxin which just happened about 5 years ago.....

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 4:28 pm 

Thanks for the link Mac. Interesting, and something I had not run across before.

On the other hand, those figures for toxicity mean that, using minimums, Bandit would have to eat over a quarter-pound of raisins to reach "toxic dose" levels. That's a HECK of a lot of raisins...I don't think I would feel too good either after that many of 'em.

So, given how many raisins are typically in one of my gorp bags, and the very small amounts I usually share with my grrl, I don't think I'll change my habits just yet.

I do appreciate the info. tho'. Thanks again.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 11:06 am 

I've done several lengthy solo expeditions without resupplying, the longest 4 months.
In each case I had one small freeze dried meal for each day. Beyond that my diet was supplemented by fish each day.

I can tell you from personal experience the person who mentioned fat was bang on.
Near the end of one of my trips I was craving it (milk as well).
I checked a vacated outpost camp and managed to scavenge among other things a litre of peanut oil.
You'd likely guess I used it to fry my fish right?
I was craving fat so much that I actually drank most of it. :lol:

Could literally feel the strength seeping back into me as I did.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2009, 7:53 am 

There's no such thing as essential carbz, but there are essential fats. Although our body can survive 2months without fats, as it can convert carbs into lipids, at some point it will need those essential oils.

These essential fats are most necessary for production of cell membranes, and eicosanoids (which are precursors to a whole bunch of important substances). Let's not forget their importance in the absorption of lipid soluble vitamins.

I crave fats as well after 2weeks in the woods, and I always have olive oil. Still nothing compares to the fish fat.. that gooey stuff on the other side of the skin....mmmmmm omega 3.