View topic - Barrel Organizer

It is currently December 5th, 2019, 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Barrel Organizer
PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 7:32 pm 

Remember those goofy tupperware cake containers? My mom bought all kinds of crappy tupperware. Of all the crap I threw away or gave away when we moved and for some reason we still have that cake container here.

Like this...

So guess where it is now??? In my food barrel as an organizer. Fits VERY well. Now if only I had a few more.

Not quite an original idea, Ostrom makes a barrel organizer. Soft-sided and very pricey.
Image $60

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

Post subject: Re: Barrel Organizer
PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 8:02 pm 

you just reminded me of something I saw last week.....
someone had washed and sew together many of the little foil juice containers (koolaid jammers) into a purse....I bet you could make a mat of these (whatever number layers you wanted), cut out the pieces for the barrel organizers and sew them together

make a cool re-use/ recycle project.....there's a group in Stitsville that's collecting milk bags and weaving them for mats for street children in the third world

PostPosted: July 31st, 2009, 5:08 pm 

I just came home from a nine day Temagami trip and had decided organize my barrel differently for this trip. I had as usual put my meals in large zip lock backs and marked them breakfast day 1 ect. But what i did differently was use three different coloured mesh bags one for each meal. I had a breakfast, lunch and supper bag. So all i had to do was pick the bag needed for the meal and being mesh they conformed to the barrel shape and size and as the meals went down I moved stuff from other packs into the barrel. This system worked out wonderfully and I purchased the bags at the dollar store.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2009, 6:03 pm 

My system is similar with different coloured stuff sacks, but I have an extra bag with snacks.

In the morning, when packing up after breakfast, the snack for the day gets pulled and put into the day pack for use around eleven, and the sacks are arranged so that the lunch bag is on top in the barrel. Around 1pm after lunch, things get stowed so the dinner is on top for the evening etc. So the bags are "rotated" in anticipation of the next meal. It works quite well,especially since the dried dinners and the simple grain breakfasts are quite compact and thus the meal bags are not that large...

PostPosted: July 31st, 2009, 8:41 pm 

Excellent idea, Rob. How many do you think can you stack in a 60 liter barrel?

PostPosted: July 31st, 2009, 10:03 pm 

3, maybe 4

Look hard in your second hand stores

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 9:09 am 

I've been using mesh laundry bags, four of them, one each for breakfast, lunch and supper, plus a fourth for leftovers. Using mesh bags gives a clue to the contents. I would like four bags of different colours but have only red and white bags now.
The supper bag holds plastic grocery-store bags, each with everything needed for a supper.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 10:16 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

BK, you do realize those things don't come with cakes in them, eh?

Barbara

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 10:02 pm 

There are no less than 4 of these on ebay right now. Prices is around $5. Problem is shipping is $20

PostPosted: May 24th, 2010, 8:12 pm 

I have used the different bags trick before too. It worked reasonably well. This time however I made a simple cardboard "T" with double thick walls to section the barrel into three chambers. It worked quite good. Most of my stuff is either rice/pasta mixes or various things stored in old peanut butter jars. Yes I have been working on this for a while...lol.

The little Ziploc tubs you can get at walmart are indispensible too. I have a larger one to hold all of the utensils.

For shorter trips you can leave enough space in the top of the barrel to hold your pots/pans. These I put in one of those nice new cloth shopping bags from superstore...keeps the soot off all the other things in the barrel rather nicely. Neatness counts.

....Christine