View topic - Is it possible to over dehydrate?

It is currently September 22nd, 2019, 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 7:07 am 

Is it possible to over dehydrate?

last night I was dehydrating C***** L***** S**** (yum yum!) and instead of the 5-7 hours of dehydration as called for in the recipe, I fell asleep. Resulting in 9.5 hours of dehydration.

I have done the same thing with a couple of other recipes- as I find time wise, its easier to start dehydrating in the evening, but I don't wake up in the middle of the night to turn the dehydrator off.... I haven't reconstituted the recipes yet, but don't want to be starving if they don't work due to my lack of attention :).

Last edited by Sunfish on June 11th, 2009, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 8:27 am 

first off....I want the recipie.....

I doubt you can over dehydrate lentil mixes where they won't come back..... green peppers maybe and corn and peas maybe if not stewing

Yogurt definately can over dehydrate

Woke up this morning to a god awful smell.....house reaked of B.O. bad bad
word to the wise...do not put on Keema curry, chana chaat and donair meat at the same time :oops:

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 5:28 pm 

Sunfish wrote:
Is it possible to over dehydrate?

last night I was dehydrating Citrus Lentil Salad (yum yum!) and instead of the 5-7 hours of dehydration as called for in the recipe, I fell asleep. Resulting in 9.5 hours of dehydration.

I have done the same thing with a couple of other recipes- as I find time wise, its easier to start dehydrating in the evening, but I don't wake up in the middle of the night to turn the dehydrator off.... I haven't reconstituted the recipes yet, but don't want to be starving if they don't work due to my lack of attention :).

Not all dehydrators are created equal. Some have more heat, some less. Some have temperature control while others do not. But they all work fine and they all work in the same way.

With that being said, drying times stated for any given item or meal in a recipe are at best just a guideline.

The humidity level, room temperature and the moisture content of the the food you're trying to dry can vary and change the drying time quite a bit. Today may be 7.5 hours. Tomorrow might mean a 10 hour dring time.

The first thing about dehydrating you'll quickly learn is that it's not an exact science. It's more of a touchy feely thing you get used to over time.

As for your Citrus Lentil Salad dried for 9.5 hours instead of the 5-7 hours of dehydration as called for in the recipe, don't sweat it. I'm sure it will turn out just fine. I regularly dry corn, peas and cabbage for 12 hours plus and they all rehydrate just fine.

Bon Appetit!

Dave

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 7:23 pm 

you can definetely over dehydrate chicken! Rocks comes to mind.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 7:52 pm 

Gail R wrote:
first off....I want the recipie.....

???
First of all, I didn't think youe were allowed to say C***** L****** S****** on this website!! :) But if you surf back far enough I think you'll find the recipe.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 7:23 am 

I think I recall from ages ago that you couldn't say C***** L***** S**** . I completely forgot about that...oops...I will see if I can alter the post :D ...its just so yummy.

Thanks for the input. Now I can sleep better knowing that I haven't ruined anyones dinner :lol:

PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 7:33 am 

I over dehyy the potatoe chick pea salad yesterday and it came back (I test a wee bit new stuff to get an idea how long it has to be in the re-hydration bag)
I forgot about chicken.......sends shivers down my bicuspids to think of it...knaw knaw knaw.....like dried licorice without the reward

PostPosted: February 19th, 2010, 4:44 pm 

Quote:
I think I recall from ages ago that you couldn't say C***** L***** S****

K gota ask..... first... what is C L S, And why can it not be said? I hate being the new guy around here.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2010, 8:55 pm 

If you are worried about too much dehydration time, plug the machine into a timer, set to turn it off appropriately.
Don't worry about it being too dry. Most of the commercial dryers only reach about 165F... so a bit longer will not damage most food.

Chicken: Can be dried, but not well, from sectioning or dicing chicken breasts.. too much connective tissue.
Put the lean chicken through a meat grinder ,cook it, and dehydrate that. The grinder breaks up the connective tissue and the cooked meat then drys well and re-hydrates well.

And what Tripper said pretty much sums up the issue with dehydration. The process is variable due to several factors.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2010, 11:32 pm 

RAY1984 wrote:
Quote:

K gota ask..... first... what is C L S, And why can it not be said? I hate being the new guy around here.

Oh boy..

PostPosted: February 20th, 2010, 3:41 am 

RAY1984 wrote:
Quote:

Tripper wrote:
Citrus Lentil Salad

Just don't say it. :wink:

PostPosted: February 20th, 2010, 9:54 am 

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27649&hilit=citrus+lentil+salad

The full recipe is in there.
It would be nice if we could refrain from the family history. Whats done is done and the topic is off course already..

going skiing now..maybe I better stay gone skiing..then gone paddling.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2010, 10:24 am 

Quote:
K gota ask..... first... what is C**** L**** S****, And why can it not be said?

Those three words are from an ancient witch's text written during the Dark Ages to summon demons from the underworld. The original recipe included bat's ears, an eye from a salamander, several kinds of poisonous toads and the spleen of a viper.

When those words were repeated here several years ago, horribly filthy p*rn that could only have come from the deepest recesses of Hell started showing up, along with countless viruses and malware.

They have an effect something like the dark magic in Lord of the Rings, except much worse. The fabric of the entire universe splits open to allow an unspeakably evil force to enter.... it ain't easy, repairing that kind of damage.

On a lighter note, beef strips that are overdehydrated become too hard and will not make nice chewy jerky.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2010, 10:57 am 

Mac wrote:
Chicken: Can be dried, but not well, from sectioning or dicing chicken breasts.. too much connective tissue.
Put the lean chicken through a meat grinder ,cook it, and dehydrate that. The grinder breaks up the connective tissue and the cooked meat then drys well and re-hydrates well.

Yep. And once done, it is one of the great tripping foods. You can use chicken as the base of many delicious one pot meals. To make life even easier, I buy canned flaked chicken and turkey. It is cooked of course, and no need to worry about the fat because it is rendered and more stable (but store your extra supplies at home in the freezer). Just re-flake in a bowl, then spread on the roll up trays, or in a cookie sheet in an open oven, and you have super-simple dried meat that rehydrates easy. You cannot over-dry it.

For rice meals, I put the chicken in at the same time. When the rice is done, the meat is rehydrated. For pasta meals, I put the meat in first, and measure the water just like for rice (i.e. for absorption - no draining of pasta). Based on experience, I put the pasta in after some rehydrating time (like 5-10 minutes), and when the pasta is done, the chicken is rehydrated. All in one pot, no drainage required (if you measured the water right).

This flaked canned chicken/turkey is so easy, I wonder why people buy commercial dehydrated meals?

PostPosted: February 20th, 2010, 12:43 pm 

I concur with Mac and Hoop on chicken drying. I also dry canned flaked ham, which is a good addition to potato dishes and scrambled eggs / omelettes.

With jerky, I think you can vary "dryness" with "thickness". When I make jerky, I slice the meat as thinly as possible and dry it to the point where it cracks when you try to bend it. It's kind of like meat potato chips - thinner and dryer than jerky you can buy commercially.

The thin slicing is made easier by "almost" freezing the meat and using a very thin bladed knife. Alternatively, I know people who freeze the meat solid and slice their jerky with a sharp block plane.

That might help some of the woodworkers on this site . . .

-jmc