View topic - Algonquin interior trip - what to pack ??

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 5:07 pm 

Hi

my wife, 2 kids and I are planning a trip to Algonquin (Rock lake starting point all interior sites are within 2 hours paddle)

We have a pelican guide canoe (under 15 feet- 2 seats) and it is 86lbs so we do not have maximum space..

my main question is what type of food I should pack for this trip? Obviouslly I don't want a cooler full of beef so what type of foods and or general gear would you pack for a quick paddle from rock lake to an interior site for a 3 night stay?

http://twoifbysea.webs.com/

PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 6:43 pm 

I do steaks first night , chicken or another meat second night and a pasta dinner 3rd.
the meat can be bought frozen or frozen at home- if not it can be vaccumed sealed at the butchers.
almost every sight has a grill there so you can add baked potatoes, cook a pot of veggies and eat like you normally do.
Conversely you copuld go with all dehydrated foods, like Harvest Foodworks prepackaged dinners.Just need a big pot to boil it up-surprisingly filling.

I do a blend of Quaker Oatmeal / Red River cereal with raisins, cinammon, and a freshly diced apple for breakfast.

Simple Lunches can be done with a package of tortillas , shredded cheese, some packaged tuna or more veggis and make wraps-season to choice

and for about $75 you could rent a 17' lightweight canoe at Paddleshack on the way up !

PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 8:14 pm 

Hi,
You didn't mention the age of the kids, but I'm going to assume they are young if they are both going to fit into your canoe with you and your wife.
Ok, the kids are the dictating factor here! Plan food they'll like or you'll end up packing up early! A few suggestions from when I Took kids out paddling/backpacking.... with 3 days, you don't need freeze dried or dehydrated.
Breakfast- baccon, eggs, spuds, hot chocolate, pancakes(no blueberries yet), bagels & cream cheese(get the smaller sized spreadable container that is sealled with tin foil. It'll keep if you don't break the seal for a couple of days)
Lunch- sandwiches, wraps, cheese, salami, grilled cheese, bagels take some soup packs incase it's rainy/cold, make soup/stew/chilli at home and freeze it in containers
Snacks- crackers/cheese, veggies &dip, licorice, pringles, trail mix
dinner- steak/chicken as above, smoked sausages, pita-pizzas, buritos, taccos.....
campfire snacks- 'spider dogs' (hot dog with the ends sliced lengthwise in quarters, stuck on a stick and roasted on the fire- the kids like watching the ends curl around from the fat dripping), bannock on a stick, bananna boats