View topic - food help 7 days

It is currently September 21st, 2019, 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: food help 7 days
PostPosted: August 4th, 2009, 11:50 am 

out group of 5 is going on a 7 day trip, usually we just by a selection of dehydrated food from mec, on one hand i want to stick with that cuz its easy light and tasty(usually) but on the other hand a 2 portion meal in never enough for 2 men.

please give me some help with this planning, should i start making food from scratch, one of the group has adehydrator, i have a vacuum sealer, or should we stick with the just add water meals, but which have the biggest portions?
thanks

Post subject: Re: food help 7 days
PostPosted: August 4th, 2009, 12:59 pm 

The dry salamis and pepperonis hanging in a deli will keep in hot weather... slices of greasy salami are filling and if anybody finds the dehydrahated meals inadequate, give 'em some salami slices on the side. Especially good cooked on a grill over coals.

Also jerky.

Instant hot chocolate and a variety of nuts helps fill 'em up.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2009, 1:19 pm 

cans of ham and chicken, like tuna cans. Dry very well

On the trip...
Soak in water until soft, drain off excess water.
fry in olive oil
add flour to make a roux
add water to turn into a sauce
add dried olives, garlic powder, pepper.

Remove from heat and cover...

Make minute rice, or cous cous and pour sauce on top, add tobasco to taste.

You can do the same thing with ground beef and use instant mashed potatoes instead, add some cheese on top and then you have a shepperds pie.

Knorr powdered sauces are good too with pasta.

The good thing is you can control the portion sizes this way.

Make some bannock as a filler for thsoe who need a bit more to fill them up. Leftover bannock is good for breakfast with a big dollop of jam or PB on there.

Hope that helps.

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2009, 2:08 pm 

Have you checked out Recipes?

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: August 4th, 2009, 8:08 pm 

Dr. Zoos:
Some of the Harvest Foodworks meals are pretty big when compared to other popular brands. You might find they fill the gap a bit better. Many of them are dehydrated and not freeze dried... giving them some opportunity to increase the portion size and still be competitive, with the freeze dried suppliers.
Also available from MEC.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2009, 8:46 pm 

end of trip is toughest right? a few ideas...

- potatoe flakes from grocery store, add that salami etc. some are with herbs etc
- rice noodles with dried Tai sauce (fresh ginger, light & mmmm)
- tortillas not opened with BB date after trip, with PB
- dried hummus

- heavy so maybe best early in week, but those tuna steaks , one each, with rice, is great stuff
- basmati rice is light and more interesting

As twilight drifts to even.
- Pauline Johnson -

PostPosted: August 4th, 2009, 8:53 pm 

Dehydrate your ground meat..beef, turkey, pork..(they all taste a little different) take some cans or pouches of chicken.

Take a hike in the noodle section where you will find Lipton side dishes..some of them have veggies in them One package serves two well with added protein.

http://www.knorr.ca/en/home.aspx

You also can find dehydrated veggies if you have a health food store or Whole Foods nearby.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2009, 12:54 pm 

well i guess its time to try and use the dehyrater, any tips on how to know when its dryed enough? im assuming that the meat has to be precooked and then dried correct?

PostPosted: August 5th, 2009, 1:21 pm 

When it crumbles.Usually takes 8-12 hours. I usually start at night and in the AM its done.

Use lean meat, cook it. Then put it in a colander and rinse with boiling water.. then dehydrate..
The idea is to get rid of all fat. Fat goes rancid and thats what spoils your meat.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2009, 10:55 am 

Keep in mind you can usually supplement store-bought meals such as Harvest Fartworks with an extra bit of water and a handful of rice or pasta.

DoubleBend

PostPosted: August 9th, 2009, 7:42 am 

On remote fly in float trips, weight/volume are always obstacles when planning meals. Also, if you are not carrying a cooler, you have more to factor in. While there are many ways to do things, some work better than others. Each float trip, we revise our food choices, holding on to what worked last time, and improving on food choices we were not so happy. Below is a brief run down of how I do things. Perhaps some of this information will generate some thought to help you better plan food on your next float trip.

For breakfast, we like bagels with the precooked bacon packs. The Boars Head comes in two seperate pouches which is convenient. Oscar Meyer comes in one bigger pack. We like block cheese and Harvest Food eggs (see their website for all kinds of great products). I use their powdered oil/shortening in my dutch oven. Works just like regular oil but without the weight/mess. We also take hot oatmeal and recently discovered Richmoor cold cereal. Just add water type. It comes in granola with strawberries and granola with raspberries. Both are delicious. I am 6' 6" and weigh 300 lbs. So I will buy 4 packs of the cereal and vacuum seal. 2.5 for me and 1.5 for my wife. If you eat a 2,000 calorie a day diet normally, perhaps one pack would be enough for breakfast. They taste great. I buy mine from www.wildernessdining.com This site sells lots of other great food items. Check out their website for all kinds of food related items. Great selection of hard to find items. I get the peanut butter and jelly individual packs there too. Great for putting on flour tortilla wraps or bagels for snacks/lunches. Very convenient. Comes with strawberry or grape jelly. These are larger packs and have plenty to make a sandwich or bagel. They also sell cheese in packs like this. That with some pilot bread would make a great snack/lunch.

For lunch we take Mountain House Pro Paks. Vacuum sealed and slightly smaller portions than the regular Mtn House meals, they pack small and light yet are plenty for lunch. They come in about 10 different types. Chilli-Mac, spaghetti, and Lasagna are my favorites. Go to the Mountain House website and order there. One nice thing about having these meals for lunch everyday is that it makes things simple. No meal planning. Save that for the dinners. Keep it simple. Just boil some water riverside and have lunch. This route also saves weight compared to many other food ideas.

For dinner, we go through more trouble. For the purpose of good morale perhaps. We take Darn Good (brand) dried chilli bags and make Jiffy cornbread in the dutch oven. We also make grayling gumbo. We take Zatarains Gumbo (dry mix) and slivers of about 2 lbs of grayling. Cook slow while the Bisquick garlic biscuits cook in the aluminum GSI 10" dutch oven. It only weighs 4 lbs and can be found on the wilderness dining website above. Also at Campmor.com. We cook fish for about 3/7 meals too. Usually dolly vardon (arctic char). We get Idaho instant potatoes (garlic is our favorite). We will make garlic bisuits in the dutch oven to go with. We also make mac and cheese to go with fish. Simple things like that. Some of the easy to make Suddenly Salad brands are nice too. They have a ranch and italian cold pasta salad. Great sides for a fish meal. We have also packed the 10" pita pizza deals. Take the pizza sauce in the bags and some block cheese to grate. Two person may be enough. And of course the pepperoni. In a pinch, we will just have one of the extra Mtn House Pro Paks. Maybe too tired to cook or got into camp late. Bad weather and such. I always carry 2-3 extra Mtn House Pro Paks. One tip, tape a disposable plastic spoon to the lasagna packs. The cheese in them is nearly impossible to get off your standard Lexan spoon. We burn the disposable spoon with the bag the meal was in. Dishes done.

Save the clean lexan spoon for stirring the 100 proof peppermint schnapps into the hot chocolate. Also, Captain Morgans rum and hot apple cider is a good camp fire drink. For other times of the day, we take Crystal Light sticks and perhaps one gatorade packet per person/per day.

For deserts, we take the Backpackers Pantry (brand) cheese cake and cream pie (same things). I love lemon, but chocolate mousse, strawberry, banana, and dark chocolate are great. Just add and stir some cold water into the bag, then sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top (included in the pack) and then let it sit and think for about 10 minutes. This desert must be tried. Amazing stuff.

For snacks, the normal fare. Dried fruit and beef jerky vacuum seals to very small packs. Leave out the mango and apricots as it makes everything sticky. We love Cliff bars as they can get squished and are not effected by heat. Comes in about 20 flavors. And of course some home made gorp with the larger size M&M's.

For coffee, only Peet's arabian mocha java or major dickisons blend will do. Order online from Peet's and specify that you want press pot grind. You do this when finalizing the order. Get a french press to take on the trip. I have a stainless model that I got from Campmor. I think they quit carrying that model, but REI and others carry it. GSI also makes some lexan french presses. They work fine, I just preferred the stainless model. Point is, this makes great coffee and it is the perfect way to start a day on a float trip. We get small 16,8,4 ounce nalgene bottles (campmor) and put the coffe, powdered creamer, and sweetener in them. Good stuff man.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2009, 8:47 am 

Wow and I have all eleven days of my food in one 30 liter barrel :o

Goes to show you there are many ways to go about it.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2009, 12:17 am 

well thats it we got out the dehydrator and dried the meat out, groundbeet and chicken breast, one pack of ground beef has mixed veggies dried in with it, there are five of us going and we need 5 dried suppers so we each picked a recipe from here or created our own and are surprising the others what they choose, it will keep things interesting and wow talk about cheap and easy!!!!! and with the size of portions we are able to have now, as long as what we make tustes good i think we found our new winning meal method!!!!! thanks alot!!!

PostPosted: August 15th, 2009, 7:18 am 

I wouldn't be afraid to try and dry anything. use your imagination. Canned ham and chicken. Cut up a steak and dry for stew. Shrimp. Tomato sauce for pasta dishes. Salsa, olives. I just got a hold of a recipe for coleslaw you can dehydrate. Can't wait to try this. We will take smoked oysters in oil, I will put them a small nalgene container. They stay good for a week or more. I cut cheese in small cubes and wrap in a cloth soaked in vinegar. This will last a long time. There are many good recipes and tips right on CCR in the food and recipes section.

Randy

PostPosted: August 15th, 2009, 9:45 am 

you like indian?

go to the local indian shop and pick up a couple SHAN spice mixes and some lentils beans and peas; way cheaper to shop there and talk about tastey and pennies a serving
try the Dal curry mix..... got a little kick to it but you can always buy apricot paste (rehydrate to a sauce) cheap and add a little spice to make a chutney or just plain to cool th spice and make it interesting
Shalini makse some good pickles (lime one is nice) and they can be repackaged in plastic containers.
Keema curry goes good with hamburg then dehydrate

pakoras (deep fried spicy lentil dumplings with optional left over veggies and mashed potatoes mixed in and then fried)are nice too with tamrin sauce

Chana Chaat is a nice chickpea salad do it up the way you like it at home and dehydrate comes back well and to make it interesting you could use israeli couscous (carcasone recommended this a couple moths ago) fabulous mouth feel and way different than regular couscous.
Get some dried taboli mix, and humus for lunch even bruchetta will dehydrate although there's a black olive bruchetta in a bottle that is worth the extra weight....... it will keep in a transfered plastic bottle just like olives will

whole wheel of brie, red pepper jelly dried cranberries and a hearty cracker......dehydrate a bag of coleslaw and just bring a samll bottle of craft coleslaw dressing..... dress it up with the cranberries and cashews

dried salamis aged cheddar and sweet onion slices (fresh) with a spicy mustard on pitas
unfortunately, it's the brands like dempsters that keep well. You local middle east pitas don't have preserve in them and they don't keep
chapatis can be made or brought as bread