View topic - transporting eggs

It is currently November 12th, 2019, 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: transporting eggs
PostPosted: August 30th, 2009, 11:03 pm 

everyone talk about bringing eggs on trip.
I have always brought my eggs in a waterproof tupperware/nalgene (already cracked) is this what people mean when they say the bring eggs?

Or do you have one of those fancy egg holders?

I have never used pre-cracked eggs past the 1st day. What if I just put eggs in a box packed with plastic bags to cushion them?

Post subject: Re: transporting eggs
PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 2:46 am 

Cracking fresh eggs for later use (even 1 day) is asking for serious poisoning! Of course it's safer nowadays since eggs are processed much better than in earlier times.

Here are two almost foolproof methods to take eggs with you on a trip

1 - buy a standard dozen eggs in the paperboard carton, you might have to cut it down to 10 eggs, place egg carton in zip lock bag, blow a little extra air into the bag as you seal it, place inflated bag in a plastic shopping bag and store in the stern end of your boat

2 - buy these

DO NOT buy one of those silly hard plastic egg holders designed for camping, first thing, only small eggs fit in them and second it's highly likely you will end up with a real mess.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 4:58 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I'm going to disagree with my good friend recped about the plastic egg carriers.

We use them every trip. The eggs I buy at the grocery store are called "large", but they fit quite well in the carrier. In fact, I have taken to putting a folded paper towel on top of them, before closing it, to take up the eggstra space.

I use the 12-egg carrier to take 10 eggs. Haven't had a mishap yet. The carrier is placed in the center of the barrel, with other things around it to keep it from moving around.

Barbara

PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 5:58 am 

I have cracked the eggs and put them into nalgenes 100's of times with no ill effect at all. I usually through them into the freezer if I am going to want to use them past the first morning out.

That said, we usually buy those cartons now. Basically the same thing, just easier and the carton crushes down small for easy transport too.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 6:03 am 

I've used a plastic egg-carrier-thingy for decades - NEVER had a problem or a "mess". Cracking them ahead of time is asking for trouble (and, you can't have boiled eggs...) :D

PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 6:23 am 

I must say that this is the first time that I have ever heard that cracking them ahead has any hazard. Almost everyone I have hiked or canoed with over the last 35 years has done this with no ill effect. What is the problem with cracking eggs and putting them in a clean container? Especially when they get cooked anyway.

Curious minds wish to know. *huh?* :D

PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 6:31 am 

Quote:
DO NOT buy one of those silly hard plastic egg holders designed for camping, first thing, only small eggs fit in them...

I did have the same problem with those yellow egg containers for 6 eggs, from Cdn Tire. Large eggs in them cracked when I closed the case.

Since them, I have my own solution using a discarded cardboard shell where most eggs come in. I once bought 6 eggs in the clear plastic container (Omega-whatever rich) which is roomy and sturdy enough for large eggs, and I reuse it. I pad the outside with the separated cardboard halves for extra padding and place two elastics around the package to keep it together. It's small and even fits in the olive barrel. No problem with that set-up....

PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 6:46 am 

"Salmonellae may occasionally be present on shell eggs even after washing, and any Salmonella reaching the membranes can be transferred to an egg mixture through breaking, and will rapidly grow under improper storage conditions. A Relative Risk analysis showed that cracked eggs are 3 to 93 times more likely than uncracked shell eggs to cause outbreaks."

http://www.cnrs.fr/index.php

PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 6:56 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

dunkin' wrote:
I must say that this is the first time that I have ever heard that cracking them ahead has any hazard. Almost everyone I have hiked or canoed with over the last 35 years has done this with no ill effect. What is the problem with cracking eggs and putting them in a clean container? Especially when they get cooked anyway.

Curious minds wish to know. *huh?* :D

It's been discussed back and forth here on CCR a couple of times over the years. (No, I don't want to try to do a search for the threads.... :P LOL)

And, yeah, having boiled eggs every other day for a week....that's my objective.

I've never yet bought "large" eggs that are too large for the plastic carrier.

Barbara

PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 7:07 am 

At some time the egg must be cracked with the same potential of spreading the salmonella then, would it not. I must admit I know little about salmonella. We have always raw fed our dog, and have cut have had chicken carcasses on a daily basis getting thawed and cut up in our kitchen, as well as fish and other meats. We have been told by some that this too is a bad practice health wise, but I know of dozens who do this, and have felt no ill effect.

Is salmonella not killed by cooking, like other bad stuffs?

Sorry about hijacking the egg thread, curiosity got the best of me. :)

PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 7:28 am 

I have successfully carried eggs in the regular cardboard carton that you buy them in. Take a knife and saw the egg carton so that its just as long as the number of eggs that you need.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 7:29 am 

Theoretically, yes, salmonellae are killed by thorough cooking at high heat. However, that isn't really the issue - the problem usually arises with incidental (and overlooked) transfers - like, your spatula, cutting board, mixing bowl or container, utensils, etc etc - even your own hands - none of which are gonna be cooked. That might be overcome by washing at a high heat with antibacterial detergents, but, honestly, we all know that that sort of washing never happens on a trip.
Freezing definitely does NOT kill salmonellae.
My best suggestion is that, if you're gonna carry raw, cracked eggs, carry a bunch of immodium as well... :wink:

PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 7:44 am 

sk8r wrote:
My best suggestion is that, if you're gonna carry raw, cracked eggs, carry a bunch of immodium as well... :wink:

:lol: Actually, that is one thing not in my medical kit.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2009, 8:39 pm 

Two methods that work very well.

1. Duct tape a dozen eggs under your seat in the container you bought them in. Fibre or styro, both work well. You could add more cushion between the carton and the seat with just about anything, but I've not found it necessary. They're suspended this way and travel very well.

If you typically tuck your feet under the seat while paddling, method #2 may work better for you.

2. In my Souris River I use 1/8 inch bungee cord to hold a 2X6 carton on top of the flotation chamber at one end or the other, or both of the canoe. They are out of the way there and don't get knocked around.

We pretty much eat fresh eggs every day, and have whatever we need for baking too.

pake

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2009, 8:53 pm 

One other thing....perhaps it's just me.....

Those fancy Omega eggs, they look attractive in their double layer plastic container, not sure what kind of chickens they come from but the shells seem to me to be incredibly thin and subject to cracking VERY easily.