View topic - transporting eggs

It is currently August 19th, 2019, 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: transporting eggs
PostPosted: September 7th, 2009, 10:55 pm 

Thought I would weigh in on this one also. Have had a number of medical folks and public health folks advise me of the seriously high risk to taking pre cracked eggs on a trip. Yes, Salmonella. So I don't. pre-crack my eggs.

As a newly married car camper we dutifully bought the 6 and 12 egg yellow plastic carriers. Even trying different sizes and brands of eggs provided no relief - each and every time we used the yellow carrier we had at least one broken egg making a mess of things. Recently a company I work for started prvding fresh eggs for baking in the 6 egg carrier. Regularly we have a broken or cracked egg. At least now they use a zipper lock bag in the carrier to contain the mess.

Somewhere along the way I started buying the Omega 3 eggs in the plastic container (recyclable where I live). I started carrying eggs in these containers on trips in 2004 and have never had a cracked or broken egg yet. I use an elastic or piece of masking tape to ensure the case stays shut. I place them vertically into whichever barrel my food is in - blue or olive and things work well.

Another tripper of my acquaintance fills a Nalgene bottle with tap water and gently places eggs in one at a time. A slight swirling action as each egg goes in allows things to seat tightly. Once about eight eggs are in - top up the water as full as you can and seal the bottle. I have used this method with success but the problem is you need to use all eight eggs at the same time.

By the way - I had friends back east who worked for a university research lab. They bought a hobby farm and wanted to have their own eggs. So they bought several laying hens. They looked into Omega 3 and discovered that all you need to do to boost the Omega 3 in eggs is feed the hens flax. So they did this. Then they took the eggs into their lab and checked and sure enough - very high in Omega 3.

My four cents worth.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 5:21 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Like I said back on page 1, a simple fix is to put a folded piece of paper towel on top of the eggs before closing the plastic holder. Haven't had a broken or cracked egg in years.

I still put the carrier in a big ziplock..."just in case". Always end up using the ziplock for something else, once the eggs are eaten, because it's never needed to contain an egg mess.

The paper towel gets to be used for something else, too, once its job is done.

Barbara

PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 4:02 pm 

We never have any problems getting fresh eggs on our canoe trips.

Never seem to have any problems getting fresh chicken either. But the noise and the smell can be awful on a long trip.

:D :D cheers :D :D
dave

PostPosted: May 8th, 2010, 7:51 pm 

I have used a plastic pop bottle to carry eggs. I cut the bottle where the top part meets the full-diameter part, pack the eggs in with good paper-towel padding, then tape the top part back on. That generally preserves the eggs, and somehow the paper towels are nice to have as things start feeling grungy later on in the trip.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2010, 7:49 am 

Back when eggs were sold in styrofoam containers, we'd simply duct tape a dozen eggs under the thwart: not in the way for portaging, or for your feet when kneeling. Now we have to add a step and wrap the cardboard egg cartons in a plastic bag before duct taping to the thwart. Have used this method for 25 years with about 95% success rate.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2010, 3:35 pm 

My wife insisted that we get one of those yellow egg holder thingies a few years back, and I was like this Casandra, "It'll never work, it'll never work." But she was determined and by putting a small piece of cotton batting on the bottom and top of each egg - by gar she worked! We've never had a broken egg and she has converted me, who would never even think of bringing a whole egg on a trip - "Eggs! Why when I was a young tripper we didn't eat eggs, we ate light weight and nutrious sand ... and we liked it that way!"

PostPosted: May 17th, 2010, 8:22 am 

By cracky I'm gonna have to try that.

Getting tired of tree bark.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2010, 1:15 pm 

Egg-zactly! And that's no yolk. (cue rim shot)

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 11:36 am 

Barbara wrote:
I'm going to disagree with my good friend recped about the plastic egg carriers.

We use them every trip. The eggs I buy at the grocery store are called "large", but they fit quite well in the carrier. In fact, I have taken to putting a folded paper towel on top of them, before closing it, to take up the eggstra space.

I use the 12-egg carrier to take 10 eggs. Haven't had a mishap yet. The carrier is placed in the center of the barrel, with other things around it to keep it from moving around.

Barbara

Ditto what Barbara said on all counts - except the number of eggs, we jsut bring the dozen. No problems yet. Knock on wood.

I've said it before here, but each egg comes in a very well-made sterile semi-permeable membrane meant to keep bacteria out yet allow that potential chick inside the shell to breath.

I like the canoe-load of chickens idea, but I've had more than enough chicken-caring experience in my life-time. Might be an idea for the next NorthStar Expeditions trip.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 11:45 am 

Interesting that folks have such varied experiences. Maybe not all carriers are the same? Maybe egg shells vary by region? Certainly the feed varies by region (corn, soy, grain, etc. - our egg yolks are a different colour than them Ontario eggs) and maybe the mineral content varies and affects the shell? Here in Saskatchewan they probably feed them extra oyster shell in order to toughen the eggs so they can withstand transportation on our fine Saskatchewan roads! :lol:

By the way, the closures on those egg carriers suck and you have to use tape or some other means to keep 'em closed.