View topic - pre-cooked burgers

It is currently September 17th, 2019, 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: pre-cooked burgers
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2009, 11:08 am 

If I pre-cooked some burgers and shrink wrap them how long would they keep?

Would it be better to rinse them after cooking and freeze them then shrink wrap them?

Post subject: Re: pre-cooked burgers
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2009, 11:57 am 

Assuming you cook the heck out of them, I would guess maybe a day, depending on the temperature you keep them at. Maybe two-three days in a good cooler? (How long would you keep them in the fridge at home? But remember that your cooler won't stay as consistently cold as a fridge and will warm with time.) And yes, I'd start them out frozen.

I'd rather take steaks or other un-ground meat. Get them from a good butcher as fresh as you can, vacuum bag them (or buy them that way), and freeze them. Take them from the freezer at the last possible time, wrap in layers of newspaper, and bury in the food barrel &/or pack next to other cold things. Of course that same principal can be applied to anything you want to keep cool, including the aforementioned burgers. They'll keep maybe 3 days like that, depending on a lot of factors like how cool you can keep the pack, how much mass you have in the first place, how well insulated they are in the pack, your weather, etc.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2009, 1:29 pm 

Quote:
Would it be better to rinse them after cooking and freeze them then shrink wrap them?

Cooking sterilizes food, so in theory as long as no bacteria comes in contact with it, it should keep a long time. But bugs will contact the food at some time, so it will spoil.

I'd try and minimize this by not allowing the meat to contact anything other than clean plastic which should be mostly bug-free.

I've kept cooked meat for 36 hours in warm weather and it was fine... haven't tried freezing.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2009, 11:36 am 

Anyone ever tried the M&M meats little round steaks before. They are already frozen and shrinkwrapped. Maybe I'll pick those up and wrap them in newsprint and hopefully they keep until the second night.

We will most likely pan fry them as our fires are usually small.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2009, 11:47 am 

I use the M&M steaks

Some come in a package of 4
I cook them all by the second day
Eat 2 and then use the other 2 for snacks on a flatbread

http://misabiadventurecompany.ca/

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2009, 11:50 am 

I have tried the MM package. It is convenient but the meat and a hockey puck have way more in common then either my teeth or my taste buds liked. I have tried the cooked, seal a meal, burgers at DF09 worked great because they stayed frozen. May last 2 days now because it will take that long for them to get above +2C.
Good luck
Stay safe
OAF

PostPosted: September 6th, 2009, 12:38 pm 

Hi Tyco,

Why not dry your cooked ground beef and not have any worries at all about spoilage? Then you really start to enjoy lighter packs and have all the meat you want for delicious meals.

Cook the burger and spoon out with a draining spoon into another bowl. You can (1) dry it with some fat in it, and it will be fine for many days, or (2) you can de-fat and it will keep more or less forever.

(1) Place cooked drained burger on cookie sheets in an oven on low heat with the door partially open overnight, and it will be nice and dry in the morning. Or dry on fruit roll-up trays on your food dehydrator. Store in freezer, and when ready to use, thaw out and dry cold condensation, and use in whatever one pot meal or fry pan meal you want. The fat is rendered, so its more stable and will last for many days.

(2) Place cooked and drained burger hot into a tupperware type container, and pour boiling water over it, plus any marinade you may like. Place in fridge and the fat will float to the surface and solidify like ice on a lake. Peel off the solid fat a day or so later, spoon out defatted burger and dry using over or food dehydrator. The defatted burger will store forever without freezer burn in sealed mason jars in the freezer. It will last all summer in zip lock bags in the field. Its so dry and with no fat its very stable.

Once you discover how easy drying meat is for camping, you may never use fresh water logged food again! :D

PostPosted: September 6th, 2009, 12:47 pm 

Buy a lea piece of meat and have it ground or grind it yourself. Make you patty and fry it. Then drain all the grease and rinse burger over hot water and fry some more. Now dehydrate it, maybe 6 to 8 hours. Place in zip lock bag and freeze. Should be good for 8 to 10 day on a trip in heat.

Bill

www.friendsoftemagami.org
www.friendsofchiniguchi.com
www.wildernesscleanup.com

PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 11:01 pm 

Hillbilly wrote:
Buy a lea piece of meat and have it ground or grind it yourself. Make you patty and fry it. Then drain all the grease and rinse burger over hot water and fry some more. Now dehydrate it, maybe 6 to 8 hours. Place in zip lock bag and freeze. Should be good for 8 to 10 day on a trip in heat.

Bill

YEP!

[color=