View topic - Trout Tartar

It is currently September 19th, 2019, 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trout Tartar
PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 10:11 am 

Just watched a video of a chef making this dish.
Diced trout fillets, tomatoes, parsley,chives,green onion,garlic,tobasco,worchester sauce,mayo.
Mix ingredients and put into a mould. He then emptied the mould onto a plate and served it with some type of crackers.
Has anyone tried a dish like this where raw trout is used?

Post subject: Re: Trout Tartar
PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 8:01 pm 

Are you sure it was raw trout and not smoked?
I've very similar smoked and it is great.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 8:01 pm 

Are you sure it was raw trout and not smoked?
I've very similar smoked and it is great.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 8:41 pm 

You might consider this beforehand:

http://www.sushifaq.com/ffaq.htm#Fresh%20Water%20Fish

Is fresh water fish OK to use?
Another issue that comes up occasionally is the use of fresh-water fish for making sushi. I offer a resounding "NO." Fresh-water fish can contain bacteria and parasites that are more prolific or possibly dangerous than salt-water fish. Species such as salmon that spend a large portion of their lives in the ocean are generally considered safe, as well as its permanent denizens, but it is recommended that people not eat fresh-water fish raw due to the increased potential for health risks, some of which can be extremely dangerous.

http://fishcooking.about.com/od/rawfish ... i_fish.htm

Tapeworms are far nastier. They live in lots and lots of freshwater fish, to the point that only the foolish would even think about eating a wild trout or largemouth bass raw. Tapeworms can live inside people and can grow to 20 feet long inside you. Ick! Unless it is farmed, skip the walleye sashimi.

Maybe it's just paranoia but the feeling about eating raw fresh water fish seems to be pretty widespread.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 10:58 pm 

recped wrote:
You might consider this beforehand:

http://www.sushifaq.com/ffaq.htm#Fresh%20Water%20Fish

Is fresh water fish OK to use?
Another issue that comes up occasionally is the use of fresh-water fish for making sushi. I offer a resounding "NO." Fresh-water fish can contain bacteria and parasites that are more prolific or possibly dangerous than salt-water fish. Species such as salmon that spend a large portion of their lives in the ocean are generally considered safe, as well as its permanent denizens, but it is recommended that people not eat fresh-water fish raw due to the increased potential for health risks, some of which can be extremely dangerous.

http://fishcooking.about.com/od/rawfish ... i_fish.htm

Tapeworms are far nastier. They live in lots and lots of freshwater fish, to the point that only the foolish would even think about eating a wild trout or largemouth bass raw. Tapeworms can live inside people and can grow to 20 feet long inside you. Ick! Unless it is farmed, skip the walleye sashimi.

Maybe it's just paranoia but the feeling about eating raw fresh water fish seems to be pretty widespread.

I gotta second this post...... freshwater fish are not great to eat raw, can cause too many complications can arise! Unless you are absoluty confident that the fish came from cold waters....its not worth the risk

[color=

PostPosted: September 19th, 2009, 1:18 pm 

If you like fish and it's fresh, why adulterate it with other manmade stuff? Most folks wouldn't think of doing that with a fine cut of beef. Why do it with fish. My 2 cents---to each, his own I guess.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2009, 9:02 pm 

wotrock wrote:
If you like fish and it's fresh, why adulterate it with other manmade stuff? Most folks wouldn't think of doing that with a fine cut of beef. Why do it with fish. My 2 cents---to each, his own I guess.

Wow, offer him a penny for his thoughts and he throws two cents back at ya.....must be that East Coast Math!

:thumbup: :rofl:

Kirk

[color=

PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 1:51 pm 

Well, Aught 6, It's about time you showed up. This place has gotten pretty dull lately. If it wasn't for those yanks yakking about some sort of slow version of football we'd have fallen asleep. 'Sides that, you services may be needed as a bear deterrent.

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34157&start=30

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.