View topic - Smoker Recommendations

It is currently September 17th, 2019, 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 8:49 pm 

Hi guys,
I picked up the Bradley 4-rack non-digital smoker for $289 at Canadian Tire. Getting them to find it in the Canadian Tire store was an adventure in itself and took a full 45 minutes and several people looking. They first tried to give me the $399 (sale price) digital version, which they had stored outside in the rain! But perserverence paid off and they eventually found the one I was looking for. (The store manager made the comment "yeah, a lot of guys will be coming in for these at this time of year." My responding question of why had they hidden them - they were out on the shelf a week ago - seemed to make him angry.)

It's clear that this unit is way nicer than the tin box style that I had originally. Of course the retail price is nearly 4-fold that of the tin box, so it should be nice. I cashed in the credit voucher that I had from returning the one my wife had purchased, plus another credit voucher from something I had returned a few months ago, plus the $100 gift card my in-laws had given me as a birthday present so the amount of extra cash I had to lay out for it was minimised. What really made the decision though was how much my wife was behind the idea. It seems she is just as anxious to sample the food I create as I am.

I "seasoned" the unit this afternoon, and now have some blocks of cheese hopefully absorbing some nice applewood smoke. Tomorrow I will attempt a turkey. Hey, might as well go big or go home, right?

Cheers & thanks for all the advice.
Bryan

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 1:44 am 

By the way, my turkey turned out fantastic! One hour of smoke using the pecan wood pucks, plus another 5 hours at 230-250F, and a 15 minute rest before carving. Very nice! The carcass and the bits and pieces left over, plus the left-over drippings, are in the freezer waiting to be turned into soup.

The cheese - I think I way over-smoked it. I found a recipe online which called for about 1.5 hours of smoke. Later I found online the instructions & recipe book that were supposed to come with my smoker but did not, and it called for 40 minutes of smoke. The friends that sampled the cheese for me actually seemed to really like it. But to me it tastes like nothing but acrid smoke. So, I think that's one of the things that has been mentioned - go easy on the smoke.

Now, I think I should go get a bunch of ribs and do those on the weekend.

Cheers,
Bryan