View topic - Starbucks Instant Coffee

It is currently December 6th, 2019, 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Starbucks Instant Coffee
PostPosted: October 4th, 2009, 3:59 pm 

Starbucks Instant Coffee

They are selling instant coffee now in tiny little packages. It is stupidly expensive (something like $1.25 per pack - which makes ONE fluid cup of coffee).

So, being the sucker for coffee that I am, I bought some. It is good - not worth $1.25 per cup for instant coffee, good but still much better than other instant and comparable to any drip coffee I have ever had on a trip.

Soooo.... If you are suffering through bad instant coffee on trips and are willing to spend $1.25 for ONE FLUID CUP (who the hell drinks that small a cup of coffee?!!?@) of instant then Starbucks is for you.

-?-

Killarney Campsites - check it out... http://sites.google.com/site/killarneycampsites/Home

PostPosted: October 4th, 2009, 4:14 pm 

I don't drink coffee myself but my tripping partner seems to find these acceptable:

PostPosted: October 4th, 2009, 4:34 pm 

so you can make this without a filter or melitta basket? cool.

way too expensive for me anyway.

As twilight drifts to even.
- Pauline Johnson -

PostPosted: October 4th, 2009, 6:02 pm 

I'd buy it for sure.I don't mind paying for something a little better quality.I am a bit of a coffee snob however!

I hate tim hortons coffee

Self propelled mindfullness kayak and canoe travel

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 12:44 am 

This stuff is really, really good:

http://www.nestle.ca/en/products/brands ... presso.htm

Its so good, in fact, that I stopped bothering with freshly ground beans in a french press every morning at home. Two big spoons in a big mug and mmmm yummy coffee.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 12:17 pm 

recped wrote:
I don't drink coffee myself but my tripping partner seems to find these acceptable:

Hi recped,
I use these as well but can only find the Folgers Singles in the States. Up here in Hamilton, I get the Maxwell House Singles from my grocery store. Flogers is my favorite of the two brands. I have the GSI coffee grinder and coffee press but my wife is too impatient to use them, so the Coffee singles is the next best for us.

Can you please find out if your tripping partner gets them up here in Ontario and which store. Thanks

Mike

PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 12:45 pm 

Sorry guys, I cannot get excited about instant coffee.

There's no ritual - just stirring the cup doesn't cut it for me. Compare this to my friend Doug's way of making the mid-afternoon stop special: a mini espresso maker is put to work using real fire, real pressure, deliciously smelling ground coffee, an expectant wait for the magic to finish its job, and the carefully pouring of the black gold.

With instant coffee, aside from the convenience I think it's all marketing, the build-up of an aura around Nescafe as an example. Watch this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zey5HQX150Q
The commercial is great, but the coffee sucks and Nestle Instant is just about the only coffee you can get there. I stayed in that country for over a month, and at the end of that stay I would have killed for a decent cuppa - or at least left for the neighbouring country where they have an Italian tradition and thus serve the real thing.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 2:53 pm 

I hear yah.
thing I can't do is bring a perk with me.I can't validate the extra weight.I am slightly obsessed about lighter loads however.I cut the handle off my toothbrush..

Then again I will never turn down perked coffee in the morning!

Self propelled mindfullness kayak and canoe travel

PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 5:10 pm 

Quote:
Can you please find out if your tripping partner gets them up here in Ontario and which store. Thanks

Mike

Sadly (for coffee drinkers) he brings them up from the USA along with these tasty items:

PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 5:24 pm 

Thanks recped, guess it's Maxwell House brand.

Erhard, the Folgers & Maxwell House Coffee Singles are not instant coffee. They are regular ground coffee that are in a "tea bag" style format. Quite good but the trick is to let it steep for a few minutes. No clean up unlike my old coffee press. :wink:

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 5:07 am 

Another alternative is to use a T-Sac. These are basically empty tea bags. My sweetie buys them at a specialty tea shop.

Just fill the bag with your favourite coffee and let it steep, just as you would with tea. Excellent results.

http://www.amazon.com/T-sac-Tea-Filters ... B000GTNM3M

Bob

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 5:33 am 

maddogbob wrote:
Another alternative is to use a T-Sac. ...

What will they think of next?! *idea*

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 7:10 am 

I use a single cup (#2) size Melitta filter both for camping and at home. Real coffee, better than instant and almost as fast. Yes, the filter holder does take up space, but, the taste and easy cleanup are worth it.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 7:16 am 

Erhard wrote:
Sorry guys, I cannot get excited about instant coffee.

There's no ritual - just stirring the cup doesn't cut it for me. Compare this to my friend Doug's way of making the mid-afternoon stop special: a mini espresso maker is put to work using real fire, real pressure, deliciously smelling ground coffee, an expectant wait for the magic to finish its job, and the carefully pouring of the black gold.

Erhard, you're a man after my own heart. Instant coffee? What a way to ruin a great trip!

Making coffee should be a ritual, the occidental version of a Japanese tea ceremony. Your friend Doug certainly seems to get this, and likely, he is a good tripping partner.

I must say, though, I am very spoiled when it comes to coffee. My small town is home to Uncommon Grounds, one of the finest coffee shops I've ever been to. They get their beans by the gigantic bag - green beans can be stored indefinitely - and roast them every day, right on the premises. Their roaster is right by the door as you enter, and let me tell you, there is nothing quite like the smell of coffee beans roasting in an enclosed space.

To top it all off, both of my sons work at Uncommon Grounds. They text me when they are roasting the organic Sumatra Mandheling, and I drive into town to get a nice warm bag of beans. Doesn't get any better than that.

We have a Starbucks :x in Saratoga Springs as well. No one but a ditsy tourist would ever cross the threshold there. But during track season they do... in droves. :roll: Burnt tasting, too strong, overpriced... the big city coffee con-a-sewers line up for the acrid swill.

It's always good fun to see the racing high rollers come into town and crowd into the same places we locals avoid like the plague in the off season. Just goes to prove money can't buy class... or even good taste. :wink:

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 7:46 am 

You know, in everyday life, I do stop at starbucks - this is part of my life and it's more the friendly faces behind the counter than the special taste of the coffee. Burnt, yes. But better than other options of this neighbourhood.

But canoe trips are a religious experience and, as such, they should be pure and uncompromised.

The pic is from the last Island Lake/Kelsie trip.

Attachments:
IMGP0103.JPG
IMGP0103.JPG [ 91.29 KiB | Viewed 4266 times ]