View topic - commercial food

It is currently December 15th, 2019, 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: commercial food
PostPosted: January 9th, 2010, 11:52 pm 

hello all
just wondering what you thought the best commercial dehdrated or freeze- dried meals are out there.i know make your own. this is my frist big trip and i don't need to mess with the food. :tsk:
thanks

Post subject: Re: commercial food
PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 12:28 am 

Difficult to name one particular brand and really hard to pick the best (much easier to pick the worst).

I tend towards Backpackers Pantry but even within their line there is the good, the tolerable and difficult to consume!

I've not had as good luck with AlpineAire nor Natural High.

In general I prefer freeze-dried over dehydrated but some of the Harvest Foodworks stuff is reliable.

Another thing to be aware of is serving size, one package serves 2 is usually only truthful if you are lying on a beach all day or supplementing with other stuff. For two paddlers I normally figure on 10 two person packages per week (7 dinners) plus a few grocery store packaged "entree" things to supplement. Most days we use two but it's normal that on some days one is enough

Preparation which is touted as "simple" is a bit of an art as well and can make a big difference, too much water and/or too short a hydrating time can make a big difference.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 8:58 am 

Some of the Mountain House stuff is OK..the chicken and beef stews and the sweet and sour.

The meatballs are awful. Some of this is personal taste. Just pick a variety from a bunch of makers and you will be fine. Dont take the whole trips of food from one mfr.

Hawk Vittles is another brand that people like but dont think its available in stores.

http://www.hawkvittles.com/

PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 9:39 am 

I like backpackers pantry. I tend to just get the chicken, beef and salsa packs and add them to other beans and rice or pasta meals. The actual meals they make I don't like but if you add a chicken pack and a salsa pack to your beans and rice it transforms the meal into a new level of quality and nutrition.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 10:09 am 

May i suggest that you go to mec.ca ?

The list a wide number of foods on their website for sale and most of them have multiple ratings by their users.

Bonus, you can buy the food directly from them if you wish.

-?-

Killarney Campsites - check it out... http://sites.google.com/site/killarneycampsites/Home

PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 11:48 am 

You might like to try this out fit

http://www.trailfoods.com

I have not tried all of their products, but the ones I have tried are the best commercial food I have had. BTW commercial meals are horrible

PostPosted: January 11th, 2010, 9:09 am 

I'm with the others.... alot is personal taste.

I generally dehydrate my own meals, but... I always carry a few of the simple boil in a bag style meals.

I tend to buy Backpackers Pantry for simple boil and pour in the bag style commercially available meals. These just plain work the best for me on those nights where you paddled into darkness, set up camp and just need something warm to fill your stomach before going to bed.

Another option is Cache Lake http://www.cachelake.com/ Their soups are very good, their prepackaged frybread is good, their eggs are tasty. Their meals take a little longer than thhe boil and pour in a bag style meals. But probably only in that you do have to clean a pot. Plus I think overall the Cache Lake stuff tastes better, their servings are better sized for multiple active people, and they tend to pack up smaller as they don't have to come in a container that you eat out of.

PK

PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 5:15 pm 

thank for all the info. will try some of your suggestions and get back to all of you

PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 10:55 pm 

I am sure you will find things you like. Don't forget the local grocery store, it is filled with products that are easy to make and with a liitle fore thought very tasty. In my previous post I missed a couple of things:
I meant to say most commercial meals are horrible not all. for the trail foods stuff they make a couple of cheese cake mixes that I intend to buy until I am stripped for parts and cremated. One of the very attractive things for me is they make meals for 1. which when you are single and enjoy solo travel is handy. They don't scrimp on the portion size either, their Sierra scramble egg breakfast is also very good. I just recieved an order from them stocking up for this summer, I ordered their sample pack which is a 1 of everything affair to check out the rest of the products. Now the only delimema is to try them now or wait till I am paddling. I'll try them now, there's nothing worse than getting out there and discovering you hate the food and it's self inflicted.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 4:58 pm 

Doug
just order there backcounty 6-park to give it a try.

thanks

PostPosted: June 12th, 2010, 1:59 pm 

A couple of weeks ago I noticed packaged tuna steaks from Clover Leaf at the grocery store. These packages don't need refrigeration. I bought the lemon pepper one and had it for lunch on a wrap. My wife was quite skeptical but was surprised how good it tasted and gave it her seal of approval for the next camping trip.

I have also seen pasta sauce in plastic pouches at the grocery store. My dehydrator doesn't have a tray for doing sauces so these pasta sauce pouches are great.

As for freeze-dried meals, I have only had Mountain House. I ate them for a full week on the Wabakimi Project. I enjoyed them; the chicken stew was my favorite.

For freeze

A proud participant of the Wabakimi Project in Aug 2008 and August 2010! (http://www.wabakimi.org)

PostPosted: June 12th, 2010, 2:38 pm 

Gorp wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I noticed packaged tuna steaks from Clover Leaf at the grocery store. These packages don't need refrigeration. I bought the lemon pepper one and had it for lunch on a wrap.

I have also seen pasta sauce in plastic pouches at the grocery store. My dehydrator doesn't have a tray for doing sauces so these pasta sauce pouches are great.

For freeze

I have taken these camping and they worked out quite well.

No to side-track too much, but if you put parchment paper on a tray you can dehydrate the pasta sauce. I usually evaporate some of the water in a frying pan first.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.