View topic - GSI Pressure Cooker

It is currently September 16th, 2019, 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GSI Pressure Cooker
PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 2:51 pm 

I received a GSI pressure cooker for Christmas. Mostly because I was wondering out loud (to my wife) if it would be that benefical . I tried a few meals on the stove top at home and it really cut down on cook time.

Does anyone here have experience with this cooker? and how has your experiences been.

Canoedad
Now living in Kamloops BC

Post subject: Re: GSI Pressure Cooker
PostPosted: January 19th, 2010, 10:55 am 

I got a GSI pressure cooker for Xmas, too. And I think I'm at the same stage as you. I tried the Colorado River Roast recipe in the owners manual and it was pretty good. A small roast with all the vegetables that tastes fantastic in 14 minutes, really, it was more than pretty good. So what to try next? I'm thinking pork & beans from scratch; something that would normally take hours to cook.

When it comes to camping with the device, I'm still not sure of the best fit: car-camping, winter camping, or canoe camping?

PostPosted: January 19th, 2010, 5:08 pm 

Zemi, Dad......

your assignment

Get your chewyest dehydrated chicken and cook it in the gadget. If you can shave time off and let me eat before mindnight or not crack a molar, I'm interested.
break it with a fork, tender

I think that might be it's biggest asset....if it works
you game?

edit forgot....cook us some spicy whole mung beans
how much time and does it stick?
I can think up stuff :P

PostPosted: January 19th, 2010, 9:25 pm 

In our basement stash of paddling gear we have 2 GSI pressure cookers (don't ask). They have been used to good effect, they work great on reducing cook times on dehydrated chili, raw pinto/black beans, lentils and rice. It did take a little fiddling to get used to the ratios, and volume that could be cooked, but we deemed it a success.

Now for the reality. We have taken a pressure cooker on one trip, actually only half a trip. When returned to town to restock we shipped it home. Since that time we have not pulled it out again.

The reason? It was heavy, bulky, hard to pack due to the handles, and it was not adequately large to cook for a crew of 4 hungry paddlers. It was great for 2-3, but not 4.

Just some thoughts.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2010, 10:49 pm 

I have now used the pressure cooker several more times. Mostly after work when all we want is to get supper over with.

Put a couple of steaks in with bar-b-que sauce, Now I believe these steaks were misdirected to me by a shoemaker cause I had bar-b-qued a couple before Christmas and got lock jaw chewing them. This time i was able to cut them with a fork and what a taste. stopped the process with ten minutes to go and put in some small potatoes. Done in 30 minutes