View topic - BBQing on wood

It is currently September 21st, 2019, 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BBQing on wood
PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 4:23 pm 

First of all, it would be a good idea if admin and a few volunteers make a "best of threads" sticky in here so a lot of the repeated questions aren't asked.

6 of us are going to Killarney Provincial Park. The route isn't that hard. 4-5 hours of relax paddling and portaging (3 portages in total). We leave on a friday and come back monday.

I've done this route (and harder ones) a number of times, but I've never gone camping with a group that demands we bring a cooler to use it for storing chicken filets, meat, eggs, and beer. A cooler? Seriously?

Anyways, that's the way it is. So they want to BBQ the chicken. There's no stove. Is that possible? I've cooked on wood fire before. It's messy. Lots of ash. Is there a good way to BBQ stuff on wood?

Post subject: Re: BBQing on wood
PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 4:30 pm 

Try to enclose the fire as much as possible so the wind can't blow the ash around. Let all flames die down from the fire so that you are cooking on charcoal. Then again, if you are bringing a cooler why not go whole hog and bring charcoal and starter. :lol: :-? . In for a penny, in for a pound.(BTW--I hope you are assigning most of the weight to the folks who are insisting on bringing a cooler)

How do you make a cooler bearproof? :oops: :)

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 4:38 pm 

Cook the chicken at home, wrap in multiple layers of foil and toss in the corner of the fire.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 5:04 pm 

recped wrote:
Cook the chicken at home, wrap in multiple layers of foil and toss in the corner of the fire.

Cook the chicken at home? If that was the case, I would just bring dried and packaged food. My friends want to make kebabs or something!

Oh, and chairs. The new addition to our gear is foldable chairs. Go figure.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 5:28 pm 

Ah kebabs! That's a whole lot easier than cooking a whole chicken.

Enjoy these boneless chicken thighs grilling over a campfire.....the things in foil are sweet potatoes, they take a while but are hard to ruin.

Attachment:
thigh.jpg
thigh.jpg [ 195.58 KiB | Viewed 3039 times ]

PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 5:50 pm 

recped wrote:
Ah kebabs! That's a whole lot easier than cooking a whole chicken.

Enjoy these boneless chicken thighs grilling over a campfire.....the things in foil are sweet potatoes, they take a while but are hard to ruin.

Attachment:
thigh.jpg

Doesn't it take one wind to make all those chickens covered in ash?

PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 6:23 pm 

A little ash never hurt me. I have found food tastes much better cooked over hardwood coals like maple or birch as opposed to any soft woods. Try slicing most of the way through a potato but not right through (so it looks like its a fan), slip thin slices of onion inbetween, drizzle on olive oil, rosemary salt and pepper, wrap in foil. It will cook a lot faster on the coals than whole potatoes and already seasoned.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 10:46 am 

There isn't a lot of good firewood left near campsites in the OSA-Killarney lakes area, so you might have to gather wood somewhere else. This is a wilderness park, and park staff are trying to minimize firewood collecting at lake margins, since this eventually can result in a beaten-down look. Still, firewood gathering isn't outlawed. Some campers at interior sites have gathered large volumes of wood in the past for big cookouts... I've had to see this paddling by several times.

A good BBQ fire takes a lot of hardwood to make a long-lasting bed of coals so you might find that this, and the small firepits, don't make BBQ too easy. Park staff are also trying to discourage elaborate firepit rock construction... they destroy these things by kicking them apart and throwing the rocks away if there's too much campsite "development".

I've taken BBQ'd chicken on trips and it's been great warmed up on a frying pan and gas stove with some margarine. With chicken you also run the risk of salmonella poisoning if it gets warm without being cooked.

No problem if you can't BBQ the chicken... going hungry for a day or two is normal wilderness time well spent.

:wink:

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 2:07 pm 

Quote:
There isn't a lot of good firewood left near campsites in the OSA-Killarney lakes area

I'm not sure there is a better place to gather firewood (deadfall) than the OSA-Killarney area, there is tons of totally dead hardwood (mostly oak) available. The "trick" is to venture more than 50 feet from your campsite (or 10 feet past the thunderbox).

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 7:32 am 

Yes, there is dead red oak up in the quartzite rocks... red oaks are slow-growing and it takes a long time for those stunted oaks to grow and die in the dry rocks. The dead wood at lake margins can often remain in place for a long time as well, maybe hundreds of years.

Sawn-off stumps and branches on dead trees are probably the most unsightly thing seen when paddling along, although picking up wood that's fallen to the ground is also done.

As I suggested earlier, park staff are trying to preserve the natural character of Killarney and I suppose that includes allowing the dead wood to remain in place without all the dead trees and branches being removed and burnt. Thay have not outlawed wood fires yet, so there's probably little that can be done to prevent that except to encourage campers to use stoves whenever possible.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2010, 12:23 am 

I love barbeque on a wood fire.....the trick is to get a roaring fire going and let it burn down.....after an hour or so rake the coals to one side of the firepit and add more wood to the other side....cook over the coals and continue raking fresh coals under the meat....thats your temperature control....its actually fairly easy.... now bbqing chicken fillets?..... go for the boneless chicken thighs...so much more flavour than chicken breasts. But get a stove....at least for making the morning meals.....gettin a fire goin just for bacon and eggs and coffee is a real waste.

[color=

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2010, 7:15 am 

Seriously...take some charcoal. We have done it in the past, and if you are taking a cooler and chairs anyway, the extra weight from a small bag is nothing!

Get the self lighting kind.

BTW, If you are going to BBQ...keep people from throwing garbage in the fire pit ( orange peels, coffee filters, plastic wrap) until AFTER the meal. I've had to teach my group this...they insist on burning things, but need to wait and store it in a bag until after supper !

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2010, 9:53 am 

Watersong wrote:
Get the self lighting kind.

You have to make sure it's been lit long enough to 'ash over' to make sure all the chemicals are burned off before you add your food to the equation.
There's a nasty black, acrid smoke when it's in the lighting phase.

Trev.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2010, 11:53 am 

On the occasions when we take a bbq meal for the first night, I pack a paper wine bag (from the liquor store) full of hardwood lump charcoal.

Once we have a fire established we just add the whole bag of charcoal and wait for 10 minutes for it to burn down. Nothing to carry out and taking charcoal eliminates the risk of no good firewood being available.

I would avoid self starting charcoal for the same reasons Wetdreamz mentioned.

Enjoy

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2010, 3:03 pm 

Quote:
I would avoid self starting charcoal for the same reasons Wetdreamz mentioned.

Aw come on! A little Petro-chemical soot and you guys run for cover? :o

Geez......

(Actually, I like the paper bag idea.....)

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956