View topic - Day by day food list

It is currently August 20th, 2019, 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Day by day food list
PostPosted: May 8th, 2010, 7:44 am 

Sam82 wrote:
Great thread...I'm getting lots of ideas for my 9 day trip coming up.

It sure is nice having a fresh apple each day for the first couple days of the trip..

When I get out with my son, one of the treats we have often taken for the first portage is a small orange or a tangerine each, put in the cold bag with the fresh food for the first night it makes a great treat. It has become a tradition now and even if it is not a big portage we take a few minutes to take a break to sit & eat.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2010, 8:53 am 

dehydrated mangoes are delish. Markets carry them although the commercial brands of them are packaged with preservatives.

Seems alot less messy than tangling with a fresh one.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2010, 4:21 pm 

pawistik wrote:
What is "instant burger and mash"?
Gail R wrote:
I'm guessing a package of dried hamburger in gravy with instant mashed potatoes?
Why thank you very much Gail. You are spot on! :D
Candied ginger? Mmm I don't think I've tried that before but will sure give it a go...Wasabi peas on the other hand are nice.

@Gail: You never cease to make me smile! Thanks for the good advise and humour. Interesting idea adding flax seeds with my oats...I might give it a go.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2010, 4:34 pm 

Quote:

Sounds like shepherds pie. Of course in the pot its not so neat.
I add dried corn and a little instant veggie soup mix.

The gravy of course is a MUST.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2010, 4:58 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

littleredcanoe wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like shepherds pie. Of course in the pot its not so neat.
I add dried corn and a little instant veggie soup mix.

The gravy of course is a MUST.

From the Food and Recipes section:

Shepherd's Pie by Richard Munn. :D

http://www.myccr.com/SectionTechnique/M ... ipe_id=134

PostPosted: May 8th, 2010, 5:08 pm 

How much does all that food weigh?

PostPosted: May 10th, 2010, 8:35 am 

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P
…….someone was eventually going to ask that question….. How much does it weight?
It’s like getting a new shirt in grad 8 only to have the angry looking blonde ask you….. Well what shade of last years blue is that? You know the feeling……the dread as she gets out her color chart ready to pounce on you…… you’re about to get scaled son. There are two very different trains of thought with tripping….. it’s like foreplay, and yes, I used that word and it’s not golf gentlemen…nor the five minutes the kids actually went to check on a friend instead of texting them (U thr) ; but that’s a rant for another day
No this is the hard and heavy vs. light and….. Searching for a word….nimble, unsatisfied…

Any who

It’s about knowing what is superfluous in your pack and what is going to give you the most bang for the ounce. Travel with Haslam and it’s worth eh insurance of a 40 ouncer just the slow the machosistic fool down; makes Sisyphus look like a sissy

Anyways; it’s not about one or two or 5 trips across the portage. It’s about the utter simplicity and functionality of what you brought. There’s some who take it to the extreme….like handle less toothbrushes and commando without the wink and swagger of an exobishonist. More like a calloused undercarriage. They get a thin layer of lip sweat and dilated pupils if you suggest an extra roll of toilet paper

But as I’m sure you’ve figured out; I’m having fun with the scaled wonders. We could use there wisdom without the fanatical. Two weeks out means the need for some efficiency. Things like axes weight.
Truth? Everyone has their own system and ways and quite frankly there are necessities for some that aren’t needed for others. My pack for 3 days weights about the same for two weeks. I take what I can comfortably carry…..ok, there was one trip where there was a 90 lb food pack. So I learned that maybe 12 cans of chicken isn’t a good idea and I should get use to the chewy dehydrated or pony up for the cardboard freezdried. I won’t pass along the commentary from hubby at the airbase….I did manage to get the dam pack into the truck and was fully prepared to sweat it down the portage….that’s my story and I’m sticking to it
...and yes, I'm recyling t-h-a-t story again :lol:

A smart food pack will get you satisfied and healthy at the end of your trip with one days extra food and fuel. (Independent of what is available in nature)
Personally, I don’t like the individual freeze dried meals but we carry them for emergencies and back ups. Others think they are the cat’s ass. They don’t waste and ounce though and are really favored among our cross-over hikers
Beans and lentils and rice with dried fruits and veggies are light and versatile.
If you don’t have an MSG allergy there is some fun to be had at T&T’s oriental grocery’s and East Indian shops…..Shan seasoning packs are the bomb baby.
Things like lemons and cabbage will last in your pack but weigh.
Sweet potatoes absolutely rock and they are really nice dehydrated either as a mash or as small cubes.
PS…if you decide this is your thing you will be buying a dehydrator.

The coles notes version is:
Aside from your emergency, repair and safely equipment…if you end up back without using it then it should be the subject of scrutiny next time.
And yes, you push your time in the bush out to 4 weeks and you will be looking at the scale as a very important tool.

Coles note just looses the joy of reading and humor..... but for some, I'm just tooooooo....... fill in the blank..........
cheers all :wink:

PostPosted: May 12th, 2010, 12:13 am 

Not to hijack this thread...but who the heck is Richard Munn and where the heck has he been lately?

Seriuosly....has anyone heard from him?

[color=

PostPosted: May 12th, 2010, 12:38 pm 

Craveman,

Trust Gail on the oatmeal thing. Being from the Cape Breton heelands, she has the right genes for it. Mind you, the heeland fling can have different meanings and it's hard to say what they get up sometimes----baaa.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 12:06 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Craveman,

Trust Gail on the oatmeal thing. Being from the Cape Breton heelands, she has the right genes for it. Mind you, the heeland fling can have different meanings and it's hard to say what they get up sometimes----baaa.

It seems to me Cape Breton is known for their fiddlers :D : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Oq3ZFVjAk
and...
http://www.ibiblio.org/gaelic/Albanuadh/4.2.html

PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 4:57 pm 

Weeeellll now, I missed this.
Afraid Woddy that there's not much scotch blood in me. I'm a lowland Cape Bretoner. True, I did grow up in the culture and identify with them but if I'm honest my dad's people were Welsh via the US as UEL's. Your read The book of Negros? remeber when she's waiting in New York to board the boats?
That's my people and where she was forced to Birchtown my people were in town then moved to Cape Breton
the rest of my blood is Newfie.....a mixture of Norman and Hugeonot lines.

Now Hubby, he's almost 100% Scotch....I can't prove his main line but I think their Orkney.

anywho....about the fiddling....yep, been to all the festivals
and the article about dancing.
My daughter is an irish dancer and we went to a Cape Breton Step ifo thing at the Hightland village while back home. Mary Jane Lammond....anyways the long and short is there is alot of similarities except she doesn't do Starthspeys
Ottawa valley clogging is Cape Breton step dancing

PostPosted: May 24th, 2010, 7:58 pm 

I do most, no make that ALL of the cooking when we go out so planning the meals is my task. Two simple things to keep in mind.

One....You have to eat it, so make sure you actually like it. Don't take stuff that you know you can't stand.

Two....canned means weight. For simplicity sake I take a lot of those instant rice/pasta meals ( Lipton Sidekicks). They are light, tasty, and fool proof. KD has saved my bacon more times than I care to mention too. KD with peas and bacon chunks is a great power breakfast, or supper...lol.

Fresh eggs can make breakfast much better for the first few days, as can some bacon. This only lasts as long as the frozen bottles of water in the small cooler though. Yes I take a soft sided cooler for a few days of fresh rations.

For the main store I take a 60 Li food barrel with a harness to carry it. I put a "T" shaped cardboard divider inside to make it easier to find things. And if all works out I put the pots and such in the top of it.

I take a mix of quick oats and large flake oatmeal and empty peanut butter jars full of raisins and cranberry pieces. If you boil the fruit first it sucks the sugar out into the water and gives you natural sweetness in your oatmeal. Yummers.

We do eat all of the fish we can and that is sometimes every day. But not always. Of course if you can't find any Pike to eat then you are likely canoeing the sahara as just about every piece of water you find has a Pike in it. I prefer to hold out for Pickerel myself. Again...I eat what i like.

Instant soups may be a good addition...they are good and can be used to jazz up some of the dry food mixes.

....Christine

PostPosted: May 24th, 2010, 8:19 pm 

yea yea, I don't cook, 'cause I catch the fish so you can clean them.

Perch are good eating as well and much better than pike. They grow'em big up here. However, don't "count" on fish meals, these are bonus meals.

Generally I don't have much say in what goes into the food barrel, I'll eat whatever she serves me, unless it is Puritan Stew.

Last years trip the barrel was 56 pounds and we are working to get that wayyy down for this year... we aren't getting any younger and we have the Aikens and Obukowin portages on this years trip.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2010, 9:40 am 

segosih wrote:

Two....canned means weight. For simplicity sake I take a lot of those instant rice/pasta meals ( Lipton Sidekicks). They are light, tasty, and fool proof. KD has saved my bacon more times than I care to mention too. KD with peas and bacon chunks is a great power breakfast, or supper...lol.

Instant soups may be a good addition...they are good and can be used to jazz up some of the dry food mixes.

....Christine

We use Grace brand Carribean rice and bean combo's as a staple. Avail in some supermarkets here as well as Carib stores. Comes in 3 or 4 flavors in foil pckgs. We normally cut it with regular rice to reduce the spiciness, or throw in a bunch of veggies(normally dehydrated) and/or dehydrated ground beef. I carry avery lightweight homemade wood stove so fuel is not a problem for the longish cooking times that rice takes.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.