View topic - dinner meals advice

It is currently December 15th, 2019, 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: dinner meals advice
PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 8:32 pm 

I'm going to be preparing two vegetarian dinners for seven people and would appreciate recipes or suggestions about what to make. It is going to be a three-week trip so it would have to be dried/instant/light weight. I prefer simple, one-pot meals. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: dinner meals advice
PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 8:49 pm 

Take $100 to MEC and pick up 10 "2 serving*" MIAB (Backpackers Pantry is good/safe choice), then turn around and grab a bunch of chocolate bars (fair trade of course) for dessert.

Your group will love you, a complete meal in 20 minutes, no dishes...no POTS and they can all fight over which loser gets the sweet & sour whatever and all you need to do is boil water.

* A 2 serving pouch is a very substantial meal for one but half isn't enough for most people, that's why I suggest 5 to provide one meal for 7 people.

As long as you are not serving in the first couple of days you can satisfy most people with just about anything that's hot, quick and contains sufficient calories.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 9:03 pm 

These dehydrate well...
-Corn chowder
-lipton pasta dish with added corn, mushrooms, and mushroom soup
-vegetarian chili

-Bear Creek brand makes some great hearty soups.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 9:28 pm 

My fave is Grace brand Carribean rice and beans.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 9:49 pm 

Uh Oh.. One thing comes to mind... :rofl:

seriously there are some vegetarian recipes under the Recipe Section here..

One of my pastimes is marching through the supermarket.

One of my meals is this

http://www.soupsonline.com/m-53-alessi-vigo.aspx

with bannock

And you can dehydrate a good spaghetti sauce and punch it up with lots of different mushrooms...also dehydrate them

Sometimes I take this

and make this to pour over

Uh thats one pack per bag of tortellini..not 12 packs of pesto!

Also at http://www.trailspace.com/

enter the search word lentil.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 5:28 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:

That last bit is VERY important. Not just lentils - any legumes . Coz remember that vegetarians get most of their protein from that source & 'specially on a trip, a bunch of carbs on their own isn't gonna do it. Carry some thing that rehydrates fairly quickly - e.g lentils, split peas, black-eyed peas, northern beans - stay away from the stuff that takes hours - e.g. kidney beans, pinto beans.

Remember too, that good vegetarian food is NOT just a carnivore's meal with the meat left out. Think balance. :D

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 9:51 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:

:tsk:

Stirrin' the pot, are ye? :roll: :lol:

BTW, I have the book and it's a good one.

A Fork In The Trail

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 10:02 am 

I also have a couple of home recipes for mac and cheese..one uses tomato juice and cheddar and worcestershire.If I make a batch that is too big for dinner at home I dehydrate the leftovers.

Same for mac and swiss and broccoli with a good parmesan. Bet you dont eat meat at every meal at home. Take a look at your vegaterian meals at home.

For the most part the above book didnt fit my dehydrating style. I tend to buy or dehydrate individual items then mix and match--other than the couple of "got too many leftovers" above.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 11:33 am 

I second the recommendation for dehydrating your own vegetarian chilli (or other stew-like dish). I'm a strict non-vegetarian, but I've had "veggie ground" in chilli and it has been very good.

I also second the recommendation for the A Fork In The Trail cookbook. This cookbook is not for everyone, as some of it's meals are more complex, but they are usually very good from what I've tried so far. The portions as recommended in the book seem to be a bit small for me so I adjust accordingly. There are a number of vegetarian offerings in that book.

I also have made some excellent curried lentil dishes, loaded with dried fruit. That recipe comes from another excellent cookbook Cooking The One Burner Way. That recipe book is my go-to book for simpler fair and the basics.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 11:58 am 

I've done trips like Recped recommends, with boil water and eat from the pouch for dinner, and I've done the Bear Creek soups, Vigo Red Beans and Rice, the Knorr /McCormick pouches added to pasta, Middle Eastern tabouli, couscous, hummus, baba ganouj, and I've dehydrated full meals. What I prefer depends on the type of trip. Usually I prefer to spend my time out paddling, and exploring, and I like meals that come together real fast. Sitting around in camp waiting for something to simmer for a hour sounds like a huge waste of my time, and fuel which weighs more than most people consider on longer trips.

So regardless of which way you go.... make sure that your menu fits the interests of the group you are with. Your gourmet pancakes that take two hours to make in the morning won't go over nearly as well wit the crowd that wants to get on the water as it does with party that takes a relaxing start each morning. So unless you know your partners, keep it simple, make more than you expect to need, and learn from the people you trip with what works, and what doesn't for that crowd.

PK

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 1:32 pm 

Battenkiller wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:

:tsk:

Stirrin' the pot, are ye? :roll: :lol:

BTW, I have the book and it's a good one.

A Fork In The Trail

So, have you tried the recipe for C***L****S****? :lol: :roll: :tsk:

(or maybe the kosher version, you know...the yentyl salad)

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 2:34 pm 

wotrock wrote:
So, have you tried the recipe for C***L****S****? :lol: :roll: :tsk:

(or maybe the kosher version, you know...the yentyl salad)

Now what would a nice Italian boy like myself be doing slurping down stuff like gefilte fish and matzohs? Give me bacala and rapini any day.

I haven't tried any of the recipes yet. I only bought the book to be supportive, since Laurie gave me lots of behind the scene support back in the lawless days when I first joined here.

I know my books, though, and this is a well thought out and carefully laid out book. The recipes look yummy, but I'm a meat n' potatas kinda guy, with salads and fresh veggies and fruit on the side. And of course, plenty of that good American craft beer. If Laurie can figure out a way to dehydrate a bottle of Stone Brewery's "Ruination Ale", I'll buy all her books.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 5:19 pm 

Clearly you have missed dehydrated beer.

Here it is. Almost dehydrated. Concentrated.

http://www.patsbcb.com/content/view/1/26/