View topic - One for the foodies: Anyone tried bringing preserved confit?

It is currently November 11th, 2019, 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 1:36 pm 

Confit on my next trip; it's an idea that I've been toying with. Rabbit, duck, beef, pork, chicken, or just about anything slow-cooked and then sealed in fat. In jars, it'll last practically forever at room temperature! Vacuum-sealing it sounds like a deliciously calorie-dense meal that can last through a week or two.

Here's what I'm talking about. (http://food.rlove.org/2008/12/confit-de ... -duck.html)

Anyone tried doing it on a trip? Questions, comments, rude remarks?

Attachments:
duck_confit-1.jpg
duck_confit-1.jpg [ 45.5 KiB | Viewed 1580 times ]

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 5:36 pm 

Personally, I wouldn't try it unless it was in the fall or winter when the temps are cooler. In the summer the temps can soar and your fat could and likely would go rancid.

If you end up trying it let me know how it goes, I'm quite curious now.

good luck!
lynda

PostPosted: June 12th, 2010, 11:41 am 

I am bringing Confit de Canard (Vaccuum packed) on a trip down the Groundhog next week. I do plan on having it in the first days, but I would love to hear how long people have kept it before consumption.

Confit should last a long time! I will then cook dehydrated potatoes in the duck fat (nothing is as delicious as duck fat)

Jean

PostPosted: June 12th, 2010, 3:35 pm 

I ate some Pickerel done this way a few weeks ago. It was preserved in a Mason Jar, cooked , and sealed as it was taken out of the oven or the pressure pot of boiling water that it was preserved in. Good stuff, tasty but well cooked, so some of the flavor was gone. Texture was much like canned tuna or salmon.

I am guesssing that duck preserved this way would also be OK. But I would wach the temperatures in the Summer. 40C is pretty hot, so if you open up a bottle , then you should either pack it in small amounts or be prepared to consume it quickly after opening and not leave it hanging around for more than a few hours.

Much of our food was preserved this way many years ago before refrigeration and we are still around to talk about it.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2010, 8:34 am 

....and here I thought you were talking about jam..... :D

my grandmother came from old outport Newfie stock.......she could bottle the pope's nose (that would be the chicken's arse).... :wink: they ran a little cannery when she was a wee one so I always took it she knew what she was doing. Anything could be bottled and everything was

anywho.....when preparing she was extremely particular about cleanliness and the sealing process. I didn't do meats with my mom but we did bathces of pickels and acid based preserves.

Now my grandma was never one to throw anything out but a bottle of meat left out of refidgeration too long after opening was tossed. What I wouldn't give for a bottle of her moose and some fox berry preserve right now

You'll never know definatively until you try but if i was going to do it.......I'd take the bottle pack it well in a coffee can and take it that way. The stuff always kept well. There's a cloudyness that develops on the first layers if it's been compromised..... I never got the hang of tellin' how but when it "wasn't fit to eat maid" we just took it as toss it. Could be she didn't trust anyones but her's too :wink:

PostPosted: June 14th, 2010, 9:12 am 

Quote:
my grandmother came from old outport Newfie stock.......she could bottle the pope's nose (that would be the chicken's arse)....

I think you mean it's tail... the other part you refer to is below the tail..... :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: June 14th, 2010, 10:17 am 

:P yes Mac, the tail.......yes, technically accurate as always; my liberty with the language ousted yet again :lol: ...... I do beleive though the old girl would not take exception to Pope and arse in the same sentence though :wink:

PostPosted: June 14th, 2010, 10:35 am 

....And my grandmother, a staunch Roman Catholic, of Irish descent also used those 2 words in the same sentence. Especially when referring to a chicken..... but to other things that displeased her also.