View topic - Booze

It is currently November 20th, 2019, 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Booze
PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 7:13 pm 

We usually bring a flask of single malt scotch whiskey. If there aren't going to be too many long portages and weight's not as much of a consideration, we'll bring a litre of red wine too (in a lightweight plastic, fold-flat flask).

It's always so satisfying to return to camp after a day of paddling and exploring, take a refreshing swim, change into fresh clothes and then sit back in the shade of the tarp with one's favourite drink.

Happy hour is never happier. 8)

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 2:47 pm 

For me it's scotch or whisky in a plastic bottle. Plus I usually bring a wine skin filled with my favourite red which I keep slung over my should during the portages.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2011, 11:30 am 

I use a 750ml stainless bottle with a good Scotch.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 11:17 pm 

Fill a 1L platypus bag with vodka and bring a bunch of crystal light.

Now I'm thinking some Scotch is in order next trip though......great idea guys!

PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 10:18 am 

I bring a large flask of Scotch or 40 Creek and drink it straight - on chilly evenings, I make a scotch 'tea' with hot water. I also adore white wine - who knew that frozen chardonnay could be so awesome! For trips over 5 days I also drag along a few tetra packs of red wine. And that is all just for me. And I don't share. :evil:

PostPosted: March 26th, 2012, 10:11 am 

For me it's a tetra pack or two of wine, and maybe a micky of scotch or whisky.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2012, 12:54 pm 

Long Island Iced Tea and whatever juice (tang, crystal light, etc.) that happens to be handy. Comes in plastic bottles, and seems to taste good no matter what it's mixed with.
Beer - IPAs preferably. Red Racer IPA specifically, cause it's yummy and comes in cans
Scotch - Single malt and an Islay. Usually Laphroaig, but if I'm feeling wealthy than Lagavullin or Ardberg

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 12:17 pm 

marcjboudreau wrote:
Beer - IPAs preferably. Red Racer IPA specifically, cause it's yummy and comes in cans

I love Red Racer. I did a three day trip last fall (one day upriver in with 4 portages and two days to make it back) with my Polar Bear backpack cooler. We filled it with Red Racer's IPA, Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin' IPA and some Club for my brother-in-law. He was converted to the Red Racer on that trip.

Just a little ice (two medium zip-loc bags so they're easy to pack out) and we had ice cold beer for two days.

Otherwise I prefer nice bottles of wine in PlatyPreserve wine preserves. I love those things. I even use them at home since it takes me a month to get through a bottle of wine.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 6:51 pm 

Appletons, 40 Creek and Laphroaig, preferably having all three along. We tried bringing Baileys along one year and it was nice to put in coffee in the morning, but the weight to fun ratio wasn't quite there. I remember us distinctly saying next time we'd take the same volume of rum in place of the Baileys. I really enjoy red and white wine but for some unknown reason never brought it canoe camping before but have brought it on backpacking trips. Don't know why that it is the case.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2014, 12:15 pm 

Bailey's!

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: March 30th, 2014, 2:26 pm 

I like vodka and crystal light as well but Kevin C's sequel to the Happy Camper has me considering other options.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2014, 3:21 pm 

I keep my scotch single malt at home and bring whiskey in the bush.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2014, 11:59 am 

kgd wrote:
Appletons, 40 Creek and Laphroaig, preferably having all three along.

Kgd, you are welcome to trip with me any time. Forty Creek is my main rye, though this month I bought a bottle of locally made rye whiskey from Last Mountain Distillery here in Sask and it's pretty good, in my estimation.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2014, 8:44 am 

Canadians know how to drink. I lean toward a few beers and some Kentucky bourbon.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2014, 10:06 am 

It depends. A wee dram of Irish (Jamieson's) or Scotch (Balvenie) is nice in the evening. This summer I think I'll take a few Guinness. Sipped sparingly, as the sun comes up, or goes down...whichever. Taking alcohol can add to a trip, but not having any has never taken anything away from a trip.
Slainte.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next