View topic - Boiled Eggs

It is currently December 15th, 2019, 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Boiled Eggs
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 6:52 am 

Quote:
. Tells I guess about the natural capacity for chicken eggs to preserve themselves.

Yes. That is if the eggs are unwashed. But getting unwashed eggs is the dilemma.

Quote:
Commercial eggs are all power-washed. Some people say unwashed eggs (if produced under hygenic, polyculture conditions like you find in small farms) are better because they naturally contain an invisible membrane on the outside of the egg that seals in air and keeps out bacteria. This is what supposedly allows you to keep them unrefrigerated. Washing eggs removes this natural membrane, and commercial producers have to spray the eggs with a substitute sealant. Of course, that artificial sealant isn't as effective as nature's, so here in the US, unrefrigerated eggs spoil very quickly.

Under the right conditions, power washing is unnecessary. Joel Salatin, the exalted farmer in Omnivore's Dilemma, says in this article that accredited labs can't find even a trace of salmonella in his unwashed eggs or in the chicken manure.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 5:08 pm 

While recently traveling in England and Wales I spent some time in grocery stores. I was surprised to discover eggs on the same shelf as dry cereal, with no provision at all for refrigeration.

I stayed at a farm house B&B where all their eggs came from free-ranging chickens and other assorted birds. The kept their eggs in a big bowl on a sideboard with no thought to ever refrigerate them. I ate those eggs every morning and they tasted great.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 9:11 am 

If the eggs have been washed, could you apply a wax or something to seal them? I have been to farms where the eggs are stored out on the counter but never really thought about why they aren't in the fridge. There are a couple farmer's markets around me that sell fresh chicken eggs as well as goose eggs.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2011, 12:48 pm 

LinusM wrote:
If the eggs have been washed, could you apply a wax or something to seal them?

Anything that's air tight, varnish, Vaseline, coated with veg oil. I've heard or tried all of the above and they work at keeping fresh eggs for a couple of weeks. The yolks do get soft after the first week so sunny side up eggs are only on the menu for the first few days.

Keep them stored pointy side down.