View topic - 10 days of dehydrated foods

It is currently October 16th, 2019, 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 8:30 am 

Hello,
I haven't posted in a while and I realized serious knowledge deficiency due to lack of contact with the members here. 'nough sugar. Here's the question.
The 5 of us are doing a 14 day trip in Alberta backcountry. While this isnt the longest trip I've undertaken this will be the most physically demanding as we'll have to backpack most of our supplies, food etc. There won't be much canoeing on this trip. So while doing Algonquin trips I would take a good variety of foods with me, some dehydrated and some "real", all I had to do is just carry this stuff over the portages. Now I am seriously concerned about weight management of the pack as I'm carrying with me 14 days worth of food, etc. Obviously, the first thing that comes to mind is that I will dehydrate pretty much everything, vacuum pack it, it won't spoil and will be very light. But I have never lived off dehydrated food for 14 days. Can anyone comment on your experience of living off dehydrated foods for an extended period of time? Would you have any concerns about dehydrated chickena and turkey which was vacuum packed and opened on day 14?

Thank you,

Jack

PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 8:52 am 

The simple answer to the question is NO. I have no concerns about home dehydrated foods on a canoe trip. Your dehydrated chicken should be good several months into a canoe trip if prepared correctly. I have dehydrated fruits and veggies for one trip and used them on another 6 months later.

PK

PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 8:54 am 

Properly dried and packaged, dehydrated food will last months. I would not be concerned about 14 days.

In my experience what I notice the most on long trips is the monotony of both flavours and textures. The flavour monotony can be solved by using a variety of sauces, repeats at least 5 days apart, but the texture monotony I don't yet have a solution for. I use rice, pasta, and instant potatoes in a rotation but still notice it. I have found that eating several snacks of trail mix instead of eating a lunch of soft pitas helps. The crunchy is a good balance for the soft dinners and breakfasts.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 8:55 am 

No concerns at all. I prefer home dehydrated over commercial freeze dried for two week trips.

You have the option of dehydrating lots of veggies and fruits. Commercial freeze dried meals are short on those and I used to have vegetable and fruit cravings after two weeks out.

No more as I do my own.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 10:56 am 

If the flavor of dehydrahated food is getting monotonous, you can add some flavorful items that will also keep... salami, grated parmesan or romano, jerky... making fresh bannock is good, with margarine.

Be sure and eat healthy food... I take some dried kale leaves, and that keeps for years. It's the healthiest thing you can eat. And after you choke down several mouthfuls of dry kale, anything tastes good.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2011, 8:54 am 

Thx everybody for your tips.

jack