View topic - 30 Day Trip - New Menu Ideas

It is currently December 15th, 2019, 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 25th, 2011, 9:01 pm 

I'm in the planning stages of my 30 day trip for the month of July:

Looking for new and interesting menu ideas...

Of course, on all my longer trips we regularly eat a lot of pasta, rice dishes, dehydrated ground beef recipes of all sorts... etc, etc...

Just wondering if anyone has any interesting (and different) menu ideas that will keep in the food barrel for over 1 month.

Any variety to our menu on this trip will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

PostPosted: May 25th, 2011, 9:57 pm 

Take sprouts and grow 'em as you go. (5-7 day cycle)
There's so many types and are simple to grow.
Super healthy and super fresh greenery out there.

You can also get individual packets of ranch dressing that do not need refrigeration. Flatbread/tortillas with canned meat, ranch sauce, sprouts, and cheese if available is one of our favourites.

Oh, and don't forget dehydrated yogurt drops!

Canoeheadted.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 7:19 am 

I dehydrate shrimp for alot of my trips, its a nice change to beef and if left in a water bottle for the day you want to use them i find the plump back up pretty nicely.

That said i have never taken them on a trip longer then 10 ish days.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 12:12 pm 

Starches:
Rice
Pasta
Mashed Potatoes
Quinoa

Protein:
dried Ground Beef
dried Chicken/Turkey
pre cooked Bacon
dried shrimp
TVP

Mix in a variety sauces/leathers to create different meals. Of course fresh fish is always a welcome addition.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 12:56 pm 

I find that dehydrated meat and starches makes up alot of my meals... But one of the things I find missing during canoe trips are vegetables. Of course meals like lettuce based salads are mostly out. But I've made dehydrated vegetable salads, that are as simple as adding water to the veggie ziploc at lunch, and then maybe some oil or balsamic/wine vinegar and a baggie of premeasured spices at camp and are ready to eat. I've tried dehydrating all sorts of veggies, and most take it very well. Some One of my favorites is a middle eastern carrot salad. Essentially, it's dehydrated cooked carrots, with cumin, cayene, paprika, garlic, cilantro, that you add a little olive oil and wine vinegar. I also have a roasted red bell pepper salad, with similar spices and olive oil, add a little couscous, or some falafel burgers on a pita, and it's a fast dinner for a night where you opt to take advantage of a no wind evening canoeing. We've dehydrated shredded cauliflower... and used it in lieu of rice, we've made dehydrated shredded cabbage and carrot cole slaw which can be eaten rehydrated, or as a snack dry.

PK

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 1:15 pm 

Try some oriental stuff. For a light meal you can buy one of the Side Kicks, garlic flavoured terriyaki noodles and add in dried ground beef.

Try Pad Thai. You can buy a package ( Thai Kitchen) in your local grocery and bring along some peanuts, an egg ( dried eggs also work) and some dried chicken to add. Some Lime rind if you have one, adds to the flavour. Most pad thai recipes call for bean sprouts.I usually dry bean sprouts and use them rather than fresh ones.They are real easy to dry.

Consider this:
Sweet & Sour chicken with mixed rice, mushrooms, onions, R/G peppers, S&S sauce, etc.
Dried Chicken 60
Dried Rice Mix 80
Carrots 20
R/G Peppers 20
Chicken Oxo 10
Dried Bean Sprouts 10
Onions 20
Dried Pineapple slices 60
Sweet&Sour Sauce -Pac. 2x

Kum Lee S&S Packs at 80g each (numbers are all in grams)

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 3:37 pm 

I've been thinking about it, and the thing I miss most while on a long trip is the lack of "texture" in our meals...
When living off dehydrated food, everything seems to have the same consistency... :-?
Those of you who have done longer trips know what I'm talking about...

My one saving grace is that I bake bread in the reflector oven, to provide us with some "real" food every few days.

I've dehydrated ground beef and shredded chicken for years, but I'm interested in the idea of dehydrating shrimp: do you use canned shrimp? Frozen shrimp?
How do they rehydrate? Do they stay firm or turn into a shrimpy-mush...

A few shrimp/Pad Thai type meals would add some nice variety to our menu...

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 3:48 pm 

I am interested too. I have dehydrated shrimp in the past and they were fine (and did not turn to porridge) but a while ago I dehydrated them..froze and vac bagged the result and got an awful ammonia odor when I opened the bag. Clearly something went wrong...

I have tried the dehydrated shrimp in Asian markets and they are tasteless.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 3:57 pm 

the shrimp would go well with a curry sauce, there are sauce packets by "Thai kitchen" or "Asian Home Gourmet" that you transport easily (non-refrigerated).

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 4:31 pm 

I've dehydrated shrimp and used them in meals. I used the pre-cooked frozen with shells. Thaw the shrimp, peel and pinch-pull the tails off. I used a sharp knife to slice the thickest part open a little more, so it would dry more evenly. Before putting on the dehydrator tray I used paper towel to press out the excess water, then added a shake of Club House Lemon & Herb Seasoning. I should make notes because I can't tell you how long it took them to be leather pliable. Cool then bag. I kept them in the freezer until ready to pack and I've kept them in the barrel until the eighth day. I used the shrimp with dehydrated red peppers, onion and cauliflower and an "Asian Kitchen" pouch of peanut sauce. Served with Jasmine rice...yum.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 6:30 pm 

I have had the same problem with shrimp that Little Red is speaking about.
After drying they go off when stored in the freezer for longer periods of time such as 6-12 months.

Lately I have been using canned shrimp and they are OK, but I would prefer using dried ones.

Also, I am not a big fan of rehydrating shrimp in a jar for several hours before using them. I would prefer to boil them up for a few minutes as a part of the meal preparation and not have them hanging around too long in the rehydrated state.

I could also add that the simulated crab made from pollock when cooked and dried also gives off ammonia (amines from decomposition) after a period of storage in the freezer.

I am all ears to hear if anyone has really solved this problem with dehydrating fish products and getting material with good shelf life.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 9:05 pm 

Here is a discussion of shrimp and tuna

http://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-meat.html

Only white meat tuna in water.

Reading around, canned chicken is the best to dehydrate though in a pouch there is not that much liquid. Canned crab, shrimp and oysters used to come in foil pouches too. As I liked them , they disappeared :cry:

Otherwise to avoid leather chicken pressure cook it. I haven't seen a pressure cooker since I was a kid.

Don't miss the fruit section. I really like dehydrated pineapple and strawberries.

Nor the secret to tender rehydrated beef...bread crumbs!

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 9:37 pm 

Mac wrote:
After drying they go off when stored in the freezer for longer periods of time such as 6-12 months.

The shrimp I dehydrated were only freezer stored for maybe three weeks.

I've never tried salt cod for meals. Is the prep too time consuming for it?

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 10:25 pm 

splashdancer wrote:
Mac wrote:

The shrimp I dehydrated were only freezer stored for maybe three weeks.

I've never tried salt cod for meals. Is the prep too time consuming for it?

:rofl:

The last thing I want to do on a canoe trip is babysit a dead fish. You have to soak it at least a day and change the water till its no longer salty..sometimes six to eight times. Maybe for base camping and fish chowder...

I'll have to remember to dehydrate the shrimp right before the trip.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2011, 7:23 am 

I buy pre cooked frozen shrip, thaw them, pull the tails off and dehydrate for what seems to be a very long time (i never really pay attention to such things) untill they are hard and dry. I have never cut them up or sliced them open. I then ziplock them and keep them in the freezer. I have dont it a few times now and at no point have i noticed a smell comming from the shrip.

I have found that they dont rehydrate that fast, and if you just put them in water and boil when cooking dinner they are still rather chewy and hard (i like eating them dry similar to shrimp jerky.) however if you have them sitting in water for a few hours plumps them back up to close to their original size and texture.