View topic - 30 Day Trip - New Menu Ideas

It is currently December 6th, 2019, 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 27th, 2011, 7:47 am 

I was probably trying to store the dried shrimp and simulated crab for too long a period of time , so I quit making it and went to canned stuff. I should probably retry it again sometime. I usually try to get all my dehydrated tripping meal ingredients prepared/purchased assembled and packaged by late March for each years' trips, hence the long storage times. And some meals don't get used so they go back into the freezer for the winter.

I noticed in the Backpackers article that Little Red posted, the author is using 145ºF as the maximum temperature for drying her meat products. I think the recommended temperature was raised to about 165ºF about a decade ago, by one of the US state agricultural schools that studies food drying... can't remember which school off hand,..... but most of the bigger dehydrators being sold today will go up to this temperature....

For those new to food drying, the best reference book that I have found is:
"Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook" ISBN 0-688-13024-0, usually available from Amazon.

Mike:
You might also try dehydrating shredded beef. I usually buy a low fat cut, cook it for dinner and then return the remainder to the oven for maybe 2-3 hours more at low temperatures to thoroughly cook it, to the point where it easily falls apart with a fork.This dries well and is very tasty providing lot's of beefy flavour to meals that you might use ground dried beef with. The dried product is however very fragile, so I bag it in meal sized amounts and then carry it in a Zip Lok container in my barrel to prevent it from being abraded and broken up.