View topic - Boiled Eggs

It is currently September 16th, 2019, 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Boiled Eggs
PostPosted: December 18th, 2010, 9:11 pm 

How long will hard boiled eggs last with shell on, if kept in cooler. And boiled potatos also in cooler.

Post subject: Re: Boiled Eggs
PostPosted: December 19th, 2010, 8:39 am 

Eggs should be ok for about 7 days, as long as they are kept cold. I have used them after 2 days & they are fine, even if not chilled.

Potatoes I have no idea - too heavy for me to carry on trips.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2010, 11:15 am 

I've kept boiled eggs at room temperature for several days with no problems. If they are in a pack in hot sun, they might break down in some way. But I've never worried about them on trips.... their main drawback is the weight and the need to keep them from getting squashed. And they taste great several days in, so they don't last.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2010, 10:08 pm 

or you could take them raw.They last for a long time that way.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 7:40 am 

Wotrock wrote:
Quote:
or you could take them raw.They last for a long time that way.

I'd second that. They will usualy last for at least 2 weeks uncooked. Also, cut up the potatoes, cook them and dry them. They will last for years that way. And you don't carry all that water with you.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 8:12 am 

from what I read boiled eggs don't last as long as raw. Thats cause boiling takes a protective film off the eggs and leaves them more susceptible to bacteria.

But you do have to get your raw eggs off the farm. Fresh and non refrigerated.

That said boiled eggs never seem to last for me past day three. They are so good.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 10:06 am 

raw supermarket eggs will last at least a week.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 10:38 am 

Before refrigeration in supper markets and now in a lot of countries outside of the 2 North American ones Eggs were/are sold unwashed and unrefrigerated. It is the washing that unseals the egg. They then need to be kept cool. Back in the 1940's eggs were oiled to give them a longer safe life. I do not know what happens if you oil a washed egg.
You can run tests at home. Use a light flavoured oil like canola and wipe it on. Just risk one or 2 eggs and it is handy to a hospital if it doesn't turn out like you have hoped. :D
Stay safe
OAF

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 3:11 pm 

I'm another one that likes to take raw eggs on trips, usually I just tape a container under a seat and that keeps them out of harms way. Unrefridgerated from a farmers market I've had raw eggs last two weeks on a sailboat in 80+ heat, but they were definitely getting musty tasting at the end. And yolks in older eggs are almost impossible to keep from breaking, no poached or sunny side up eggs after Day 3-4.
Egg shells are porous, so anything that's airtight will work to keep them even longer, veg oil, varnish, Vaseline. The real trick is keeping raw eggs safe, those yellow Coghlan containers kinda suck.

Boiled eggs I wouldn't trust past Day 3.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 3:12 pm 

I believe for submarines they used to dip the eggs in wax and they would keep for a lot longer. It would be worth investigating. We carrry the raw eggs in a baggy, dropped into a jar with flour.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 6:07 pm 

One more vote for raw. I've had them last 20 days without a problem. I use one of those Coghlan's egg holders but I put a piece of cotton batting on the top and bottom of each egg so that they won't rattle around and break. Last summer we managed to take a dozen eggs without any breaking on us unintentionally. Nothing like fresh eggs fried in Ghee while the mist rises on the lake.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 6:18 pm 

I put a paper towel, or piece of it, in the yellow container. Any that get broken get scrambled. Otherwise it's boil at breakfast for a quick snack as we paddle later in the day.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 7:40 pm 

Contains info on all you ever wanted to know about storing fresh eggs.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustaina ... -Eggs.aspx

It would seem unwashed, farm fresh, fertile eggs keep the best all around. I've kept these eggs for a week or so. The "bloom" on unwashed eggs seals out bacteria.

The following description has not convinced me to try this eveb when the hens are in overproduction mode;

Hundred Year Old Eggs - Also called century egg, thousand-year egg and Ming Dynasty egg, all of which are eggs that have been preserved by being covered with a coating of lime, ashes and salt before being shallowly buried for 100 days. The lime "petrifies" the egg, making it look like it's been buried for at least a century. The black outer coating and shell are removed to reveal a firm, amber-colored white and creamy, dark green yolk. The flavor is pungent and cheeselike. Eggs from chickens are generally used, though duck and goose eggs are also preserved in this manner. Hundred-year eggs are sold individually and can be found in Chinese markets. They will keep at room temperature (under 70°F) for up to 2 weeks or in the refrigerator up to a month. These preserved eggs are usually eaten uncooked, either for breakfast or served as an appetizer, often with accompaniments such as soy sauce or minced ginger.

Doesn't sound appetitizing.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2010, 8:48 am 

To transport raw eggs I keep them in the styrofoam carton they come in and then double it with another styrofoam egg carton over that. Hold the two together with an elastic band. Have not broken one egg so far but take care not to sit on them.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 5:55 am 

CanoeAl wrote:
How long will hard boiled eggs last with shell on, if kept in cooler. And boiled potatos also in cooler.

Eggs can be kept for months. Preserved eggs that is. Chinese preserved duck eggs, specifically. Each egg is packaged. Six to a box. These are the white ones. The taste is not a given, but not that bad either. The black duck eggs are extremely strong smelling (ammonia), but the white ones are OK. They might be sold loose also, in which case they are wrapped in rice bran or 'glued' black coal/ashes. In this case it is the opposite: the pale brown rice ones turns out to be the black eggs and the ones wrapped in dark ashes the white ones. If you want to try, go with the ones sold in boxes. The picture is on the box. Get the white ones.

Simply unwrap the plastic, peel the shell, and that's it. Mix/eat with something else. No cooking needed. Can be stored for months, if not longer.

About regular eggs: it is interesting to see that in other civilized countries, such as Germany, eggs are not kept in refrigerated spaces in stores, but rather alongside vegetables, nearby the veggie/fruit section. Tells I guess about the natural capacity for chicken eggs to preserve themselves.