View topic - Dehydrating Chicken: A tutorial

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 13th, 2011, 6:20 pm 

Just wondering Mike. Did you think of putting the dehydrated chicken recipe into the "Trip Prep & Food > Food & Recipes > Add Recipe" section of this site? It would make for a great addition to the shared recipe database.

Just so it doesn't get buried in a thread and become hard to find.

The link to it is at the top of the every page of the forum.

Just a suggestion.

Dave

PostPosted: July 27th, 2013, 1:16 pm 

Brining, pressure cooking and cutting the meat into small pieces against the meat grains (rather than tearing them into strips) seem to be working quite well.

I have posted a description (and pictures) of how I dehydrate chicken here in case you are interested in the details:
http://www.thefoodmethod.com/2013/07/the-secret-to-dehydrating-chicken-for.html

PostPosted: August 27th, 2013, 10:43 pm 

Hi Mike: Thanks for the tutorial. First we tried cooking the chicken, then slicing it and placing in the dehydrator. Next we sliced the chicken first, then boiled it, then placed it in the dehydrator and that seems to be working out best for us. We are not rehydrating the chicken, it is being used as doggie treats. And thanks to your tutorial and our new dehydrator, we are saving money on the cost of the doggie treats. We are going to try making fish doggie treats next.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2013, 9:12 am 

What I do with chicken and beef, is to prepare the dish before dehydrating. I use ground meat too, as I found shredded much tougher upon rehydration. Lasagna is always a favourite. Fajitas prepared with everything but the cheese and the wrap is always delicious. Stews work great. Pot pie recipes without the crust, then scooped onto bannock after rehydrating and heating is yummy. I do keep the dehydrated salsa separate for some dishes.

Though I don't mind doing some food prep in the backcountry, it is real nice to have all the ingredients already mixed. I just ensure that the precooked meals are chopped up into small enough pieces to dehydrate evenly.

I have had people scoff at the fact that the lasagna is chopped up, but boy, just watch them devour it when it is ready. :)

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"