View topic - Propane burner - how long will a canister last?

It is currently October 18th, 2019, 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2012, 12:56 pm 

I recently bought a single burner unit that takes a 16 onze (454 ml) colman propane cannister. Can someone tell me how many hours of use I can get out of this?

Thanks.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2012, 6:23 pm 

I think the burners that screw on to these propane cylinders are very good combination of the convenience of propane and the low weight and volume of the burner. I think full fledged propane stoves are a little too heavy for most canoe camping scenarios.

I have used screw on burners for years. I just got back from a 5 day trip with two people. We cooked big breakfasts and big suppers, pancakes, eggs, steaks, stir fried vegetables, plus hot water for washing dishes. We used about 2 and a half cylinders. I took 5. To get an exact burn time, I would recommend running a test. I think you get between an hour and two hours, but I've never timed it.

The best price on cylinders is usually at Walmart.

Frankr

PostPosted: July 7th, 2012, 10:36 pm 

We did a trip with nine people and cooking relatively complex foods for breakfast and dinner (no brown rice though!) and used almost one pound per day. We heated water for dishes and tea on a fire most nights to reduce consumption

On fall moose trips with four people we have found the one pound per day rule also works. If you are doing a large group the weight of the stove is worth it. Pancakes for breakfast makes my kids very happy to paddle! We picked up a five pound refillable cylinder which is excellent.

When the five pounder dies I will replace it with one of the new fiberglass ten pounders. You can buy them from cascade outfitters or at some marine stores. They are lighter than steel and you can see the liquid so tell how much propane is left. For larger groups and longer trips where weight is not a big issue these are awesome.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2012, 10:10 am 

Two and a bit for a five day trip for two is about what I get too.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2013, 9:51 pm 

When I got mine (don't use it anymore) I put a fresh canister on, lit it, and let
it burn at full open til it was gone.
Lasted 2 hours.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2013, 12:38 pm 

I love this forum!

By the way, I just found a primus classic stove at a yard sale with a couple of cans of propane/butane mix (no isobutane). It is the smaller threaded cans, not the big green ones.

Any idea how much usage I can get from a primus 450 gram canister?

Any difference with propane/butane/isobutane?

PostPosted: July 7th, 2013, 6:39 pm 

in a non-real world test (on the top of my stove at home), i measured 1.5 hours using a Primus Cruz stove and a 225g canister. out at the site, 2 people, 6 days, we used 3 225g canisters running the Primus Crux stove and a Primus Easylight lantern. usages was: boiling water for coffee and oatmeal in the morn, boil water for soup in the afternoon, boil water for pre-packaged dehydrated meal for dinner. also to heat water for washing and dishes. that's the best I can give you from my experience.

I also have 2 Primus Classic's but I dont use them anymore since getting the Crux. i think the Classics might burn a little faster than the Crux.