View topic - Homemade energy bar recipes???

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 9:21 pm 

Looking for recipes for energy bars that preferably include penutbutter & will last a couple weeks without refrigeration.

Vance in AK. PS. 23:1-2. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 9:48 pm 

Vance in AK. wrote:
Looking for recipes for energy bars that preferably include penutbutter & will last a couple weeks without refrigeration.
You could easily add peanut butter to this recipe - I ate it for lasting energy on the Yukon 1000. Good for sustained energy:

Logan Bread

This delicious quick bread is named after Mount Logan in the Yukon. It is dense and chock-full of nutrients, perfect for hiking or camping. Vary the recipe according to what's in the cupboard! Any type of dried fruit or nuts may be substituted for the ones in the recipe. Prep Time: approx. 15 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 45 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 1 Hour . Makes 36 bars (36 servings).

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I use a blend of white and oat flour)
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (PLR – reduce BP to ½ t or less to make a hard long keeping bread)
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup applesauce
Dash of cnnnamon
Half a dash of nutmeg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup raisins (PLR - I also add another handful of dried cranberries)
2/3 cup sunflower seeds

Directions (soft version)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9 inch square baking pans.

2. In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, white flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, stir together the eggs, honey, molasses, applesauce, and vegetable oil. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir until well blended. Mix in the raisins and sunflower seeds. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.

3. Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top springs back when lightly pressed. Let the bread cool in the pans for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares or bars. Wrap pieces individually, and freeze until needed.

(PLR) Hard version modification for dense, hard, long-keeping Logan:
To make a hard long lasting bread, use not more than ½ teaspoon baking powder, depending on how hard you like it. Without BP it becomes tough as hard-tack. Through experimentation, I bake at 300 for 20 minutes, then turn down the heat to 275 for an hour or more to drive out moisture. What feels firm but slightly giving in the oven will turn hard upon cooling – perfect for keeping in your pack for days (if hunger lets it lasts that long) or even weeks.

Last edited by nessmuk on January 30th, 2013, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 9:59 pm 

Here’s one that is very sweet, good when you need a real energy boost. Do not eat unless you are actively exercising, because if you are inactive the sugar high will result in a crash – will not happen if you are active (such as during a marathon canoe race). You will feel the quick energy surge shortly after eating one of these.

1 6 oz pkg butterscotch morsels
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 Tbs margarine
3 cups miniature marshmallows
¼ tsp salt
½ cup chocolate chips

Melt all in a double boiler.
Remove from heat.
Add plenty of raisins, granola, sunflower nuts as desired.
Spread in a 9x13 pan.
Cut while warm, wrap.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 6:47 pm 

I like these ones. The recipe and instructions downloaded off the Net.
[Homemade Cliff Bars (no bake!)
There is plenty of room for variation here, so let your mind and tastebuds run wild. I have a few variation ideas to get you started. And yes, you can definitely double this recipe and press into a 13×9-inch pan insteads of an 8-inch pan.

1 and 1/4 cups crisp rice cereal (e.g., I like Erwhon Crisp Brown, but Rice Krispies are fine)
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (flaxseed meal)1/4 cup finely chopped dried fruit (e.g., raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, etc.)
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts or seeds (pepitas are great)
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 cup nut or seed butter of your choice (e.g., peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower seed butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine the rice cereal, oats, flaxseed meal, dried fruit, and nuts in a large bowl.

Combine the syrup and nut butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and well-blended (alternatively microwave in small microwave-safe bowl 30-60 seconds until melted). Stir in vanilla until blended.

Pour nut butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until coated (use a wooden spoon at first, then get your hands in it. It will be sticky, but this way you can really coat everything. Just scrape off your hands when you’re done). Press mixture firmly into an 8-inch square pan (sprayed with nonstick cooking spray) using a large square of wax paper (really tamp it down). Cool in pan on a wire rack and chill at least 30 minutes to help it set. Cut into 12 bars. (Wrap bars tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator]

PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 9:31 pm 

No peanut butter but these are damn good!
One of our staples year round.

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup wheatgerm
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 cup sultanas
125g butter
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar

Substitute hemp hearts, chia seeds, flax, etc... how you see fit.

Spray pan with Pam. Cook oats, coconut, wheatgerm, sesame seeds, sunflower kernels and pumpkin seeds in a frying pan over medium heat, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside to cool. Stir in sultanas.
Cook butter, honey and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, without stirring, for 7 minutes or until mixture forms a soft ball when a little is dropped into ice-cold water. Add to dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
Spoon mixture into pan. Use a large metal spoon to press down firmly. Allow to cool. Cut into squares.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2013, 12:12 am 

Some great stuff here guys!!!
I'm still on a diet for the next month or so (Dropped 30# so far) but then I will start sampeling!
I will print these out for later!
Keep them coming!

Vance in AK. PS. 23:1-2. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2013, 4:27 pm 

These are good although heavy. I add a bit more oatmeal but the name of the woman who provided the recipe for the BWJ was Beth Buckley. As in Dave and Beth.
http://www.quietjourney.com/forum/messages/576.html

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2013, 12:40 pm 

db wrote:
These are good although heavy.
They are energy bars. They are supposed to be dense and heavy and full of calories! :wink:

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2013, 2:12 pm 

Thanks db! They look good.
Gotta tell you, you guys have me ready to ditch my diet!

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2013, 8:08 pm 

Use your favorite oatmeal cookie recipe and add peanut butter and whatever else you'd like, (I've added peanuts and Mini M&Ms or dates and slivered almonds). Spread the dough on a cookie sheet, bake just short of normal cooking time, press down with a spatula, then finish baking.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2013, 9:09 pm 

This is a recipe that we finetuned for one of our trips on the Churchill River, hence the name. It is really a blend of several other recipes to create something that we truly enjoy. We've stored these on trips for up to 8 weeks and other than a little smushing and crumbling, they were great.

Churchill River Bars
• 2 cups Rice Bubbles/Rice Crispies
• 3/4 cup wholemeal (whole wheat) flour (if you don't stock this then just use regular flour)
• 1/2 cup wheatgerm
• 1/2 cup nonfat granola/muesli (the toasted kind, not the raw kind)
• 1/4 cup bran
• 5 cups whole oats
• 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate bits
• 1 cup dried cranberries or chopped apricots
• 1 1/2 Cups honey
• 4 Tablespoons butter
• 2 Ounces chocolate
• 1 Tablespoon vanilla
• 2/3 Cup crunchy peanut butter

Mix the first 7 ingredients together and set aside. Then place the remaining ingredients into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. While hot, mix all ingredients together, pour into large baking dish, press firmly to consolidate the entire mass. Place in the refrigerator to cool, then cut into bars.