View topic - Vanilla in your coffee!

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vanilla in your coffee!
PostPosted: February 10th, 2013, 1:16 pm 

I like pure strong dark roast coffee with NOTHING in it but the pure coffee, with a shimmering coffee oil slick on top to make it extra strong and bitter...mmmm.....but for winter camping and hiking to save time and fuss, I use instant (ya I know, I know, its like roasted sawdust), plus lots and lots of de-caff instant since I don't like sweet drink mixes. Sitting around the woodstove or fire in winter, its cup after cup of hot decaff, and in summer, a hot decaff or two after dinner.

The instant roasted sawdust needs something. I don't add the white death (refined sugar or coffee mate).

So I tried Cooks vanilla powder, and man is this good!

http://cooksvanilla.com/product/4/Pure-Vanilla-Powder-4.5-oz.html

It does have the evil “dextrose” in it, so that is a compromise. It does sweeten it a bit, but its not too bad for the sawdust taste of instant. I don't use it every cup, but the vanilla is a welcome change from the instant coffee blandness.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2013, 4:13 pm 

Great idea--gotta try it. Currently, I also go with the instant coffee on the trail, but add half a teaspoon of hot chocolate to kill whatever it is that makes instant coffee less than real coffee.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2013, 4:27 pm 

You just reminded me to call my wife and ask her to pick up more starbucks instant coffee packets from costco. It's still instant coffee, but it's pretty good as far as instant coffee goes. Will keep my eye open for vanilla powder.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2013, 5:33 pm 

+1 on the HC powder.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2013, 6:10 pm 

Sounds yummy,but website says that orders for outside USA cannot be ordered online. Would you mind sharing how much the shipping was?

PostPosted: February 11th, 2013, 6:40 pm 

Esther wrote:
Sounds yummy,but website says that orders for outside USA cannot be ordered online. Would you mind sharing how much the shipping was?

Hi Esther,
I bought it off the shelf in a gorcery store here in Tbay. Check your local grocery store baking section and spices section - you might find it or a similar brand.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2013, 10:16 am 

HOOP, have you considered using a Melitta #2 cone filter for "just as fast as instant" coffee? I like the filter method since I can use the same coffee I drink at home and it produces a good cup of coffee with easy clean up and no waste (burn the filters in the stove). I also filter drinking water through the filters to remove various woodland debris.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2013, 11:40 am 

dks wrote:
HOOP, have you considered using a Melitta #2 cone filter for "just as fast as instant" coffee?

That's my main coffee method now, using the GSI filter holder. http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp ... rip/coffee

But, there are times when the speed and simplicity of instant is still appreciated. I really like good coffee, but sometimes the need for caffeine trumps my desire for a quality brew. And the Starbucks 'Via', though expensive, are an otherwise good compromise between speed (doesn't get any faster) and taste (the taste is decent, better than some grounds).

(Just saw this on the GSI website & I would consider adding that to my coffee quiver, saving the unit mentioned above for solo trips. http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/30_oz_java_drip )

PostPosted: February 12th, 2013, 12:10 pm 

pawistik wrote:
dks wrote:
(Just saw this on the GSI website & I would consider adding that to my coffee quiver, saving the unit mentioned above for solo trips. http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/30_oz_java_drip )

i have that - mine is a few years old but the spout pours really badly. always burn my hand with it! maybe i am just a klutz, but i don't think it's worth getting and lugging on a trip if you already have the collapsible filter, save your money!

PostPosted: February 12th, 2013, 7:18 pm 

Here's what my wife uses---works well.(and so does my wife but only after she's had her morning coffee) -
Attachment:
Coffee.jpg
Coffee.jpg [ 3.9 KiB | Viewed 2418 times ]

(I don't drink coffee on trips---unable to find a Tims anywhere out there.)

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2013, 4:30 pm 

baileys - that's all i have to say on the coffee front. doesn't require refrigeration - tastes great

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 12:56 pm 

HOOP_ wrote:
I like pure strong dark roast coffee ...
So I tried [adding] Cooks vanilla powder, and man is this good!
Recently I ran out of milk at home and discovered that Courvoisier V.S. is as good as Vanilla Powder or Baileys.

Disclaimer: I do not work for LCBO. :)

PostPosted: August 24th, 2013, 10:33 am 

Since we've wandered off the strictly vanilla topic.......ever since my last round of Beaver Fever I can't drink black coffee without feeling the lump of lead in my stomach the rest of the day. But I love my coffee, so I needed to find a way to bring cream on a trip...

Powdered coconut cream! Part creamer, part sweetener! This stuff is great in camp coffee, you have to stir twice as much to dissolve than a powdered creamer or refined sugar, but it really knocks that bitter oil taste off instant or the super strong cowboy coffee some people feel is necessary when outdoors.

As a bonus, the stuff is great to cook with too! I even add it to rehydrated tomato sauce & ground beef to make a creamy Bolognese. And the only way I can eat a smallmouth bass is with a Thai curry sauce.

There is a difference between powdered coconut CREAM and coconut MILK! The cream is...well creamier.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2013, 10:43 am 

Nice!!! Good call. I use it all the time at home never thought to bring it on a trip. I suppose mix in some white rum and juice crystals and you could have a 1/2 decent piña colada!

PostPosted: August 24th, 2013, 8:09 pm 

Do you have a brand for the powdered coconut cream?

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!