View topic - Cheese...

It is currently November 19th, 2019, 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2001, 12:22 pm 

I'm going on an 8-9 day trip and both of us are cheese lovers, which leads the question:

How long does cheese last?

I know that the soft cheeses are no good, but we are curious how long cheddar, brick, and gouda would last.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2001, 2:36 pm 

Cheese will keep for about two weeks.

Wrap it in some cheesecloth which has been soaked in vinegar.

We were away from July 27 to August 4 - a total of nine days (and above average temperature days to boot) and both our cheese and our salami kept just fine.

I'd suggest packing the cheese in portions that you would consume in about three days so that you're not constantly unwrapping all your supply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2001, 2:45 pm 

Hi Scott, we have found that the harder the cheese the longer it lasts. We prefer old cheddar and we have never had a problem. We get one 227 g package per day for 4-6 guys. Buying the smaller packages works well because the cheese is unopened until you use it.

We have tried softer cheeses such as havarti, however, we found we had to eat them first as they started to get a bit runny (I guess that could be a good thing if you like to squeeze your cheese onto your pita).

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2001, 3:44 pm 
We just finished a 10 day canoe trip in Killarney during the hot weather in July. We took "lite" (low fat types) of gouda, havarti and swiss. They were small pieces (fist sized) and vacuum bagged. They lasted well opening a different cheese every other day for the whole trip. In the past we have used "regular fat" cheeses and they lasted well but the oils did start to come out of the cheese after several days which made them greasy to handle, but they tasted fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2001, 4:29 pm 

All cheeses, including the soft ones, do really well if you wrap them in cheese cloth, tie off with a string and then dip it in paraffin. We have had it keep up to a month.

I wonder how well cream cheese dehydrates and rehydrates? We have had excellent luck with different types of cottage cheese (5%, 4% and 2%)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2001, 12:53 pm 

I don't think I'd want to trip without cheese. I usually take gouda or edam as well as cheddar. If you notice, most dutch cheese comes encased in wax, which is how they have preserved it for centuries. I have bought the "babybells" (in various sizes) for years and taken them on my trips. Ten years ago they lasted fine for a 7-day trip, but I haven't had the time to go out that long since then, so I don't know about now. I do know, however, that they started putting a "keep refridgerated" warning on them a few years back, but I think that they just do that to protect themselves. You can buy some cheddars dipped in wax as well, but it's usually the more expensive ones from what I can find.

Having said that, I'm not adverse to eating cheese that is a little oily, or even having to cut off some mould. I've never seen mould, though, on the waxed cheeses.