View topic - Dehydrating Chicken for Pad Thai?

It is currently October 22nd, 2019, 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 11:19 am 

I've been meaning to try this for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. So has anyone tried dehydrating chicken and then rehydrating it to use in Pad Thai or something similar?

I'm thinking of using boneless chicken breast, slice 1/4" thick or a bit thinner and probably cut into bite size pieces.

Last edited by Barbara on March 13th, 2013, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moved to The Camper's Kitchen forum

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 11:22 am 

Try a substitute. A few days into your trip, you should have plenty of Toe Phoo inside your boots.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 12:43 pm 

Use Ground Chicken, cook well and dehydrate.You need about 35-40g dried chicken /person.

If you like to experiment then try to use chicken breast cut up in small pieces, then you need to cook it very slowly for a long period of time (steam cook it) and then shred it before drying.Otherwise you will end up with shoe leather. And it might taste like Toe Phoo (sorry, couldn't resist)

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 3:23 pm 

I have not had much success with fresh cooked chicken,it stays kind of chewey. I now dehydrate canned chicken chunks. It works much better.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 3:26 pm 

I've had good luck cooking chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) coated in Shake and Bake (using milk) at 400 F for 20 minutes.
I cut them up, then dehydrate them.
In the morning of the day I plan to use them, I put them in a spare plastic bottle and let them rehydrate.
Once posted a chicken recipe here but don't see it anywhere.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 4:38 pm 

Try poaching chicken breasts. Cut into /5-.75" cubes. Dehydrate at 140 F for 6-8 hours, checking often. They should be flexible, not rocks! Rehydrate as Allan suggested.

When we visit the US, we call ahead to the nearest grocery store and ask them what is in stock, and if they can orders us in more if necessary. This week they had 18 packages of Bear Creek Creamy Potato soup waiting (and gave us a bulk discount to boot- amazing soup, surved with bacon and cheese YUMMM!), and chicken breast in foil pouches. We have used the chicken breast in spicy Thai stir fry and a variety of Pad Thai's.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 5:37 pm 

To poach them would I just boil them?

I'd forgotten about trying to find chicken in foil packaging. I'll have to take a look the next time I'm at the grocery store.

Tofu (as opposed to Toe Phoo!) isn't completely out of the question, but chicken would be nice.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 5:58 pm 

I've got the dehydrated chicken thing down (it took a few seasons of trial & error). Cook your chicken by simmering in stock. Do NOT brown it. **Then use 2 forks to pull it apart into strands before dehydrating**. Chunks aren't practical as they take way too long to rehydrate. Strands of chicken will reconstitute with about 15-20 minutes on a very low simmer, so you can make 1 pot meals with it as it rehydrates in about the same time that it takes to cook rice, etc.

I cook a big batch of chicken & dehydrate it at the beginning of the 'dehydrating season' - usually February. I store it in the freezer, and add it to other dishes as I cook & dehydrate them in preparation for upcoming canoe trips.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 6:09 pm 

Yeah! You have it down to a science.
Slow cook it in chunks.Or use the ground stuff.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 8:02 pm 

I concur with canoeguitar. Cook the chicken in stock, shred, spread evenly on trays and dehydrate.

I did this last year by cooking up a red thai curry dish as per the recipe, pulling the chicken out, shredding and dehydrating. Curry sauce was dehydrated separately as a leather. Wasn't at all rubbery or chewy, and the reconstituted dish was delicious in the field.

Ken
http://kokanie.ca/canoe-trip-reports

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 9:23 pm 

Interesting. I'm going to try the simmering and shred method. Last year I dehydrated ground chicken a few times and while it dehydrated just fine and hydrated well enough...it's kind of gross eating rehydrated ground chicken in stir fry dishes... .

PostPosted: March 14th, 2013, 9:01 am 

Chicken breast does not have much flavour. Dried and reconstituted has even less. I assume you are adding it for protein. You can get Texturized Vegetable Protein at the bulk stores. It used to be sold back in the 70's as Proteinettes and we did use it for backcountry recipes. Then it disappeared from the shelves. Anyone using it in recipes now? I've been thinking of getting some and trying it out. Relatively cheap and less work than the chicken and you could flavour it to suit your palate.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2013, 9:25 am 

My thinking on the chicken breast definitely included the fact that it is a low fat, high quality protein source. I was also looking for texture, shape and size. Ground beef is easy to dehydrate and use, which I'll admit leads to me overusing it and not leaving enough variety. That hasn't been a big deal on short trips, but still worth changing up. Nonetheless, ground chicken would be a disappointment to my taste buds in Pad Thai.

With Pad Thai, the flavour is primarily coming from the Pad Thai sauce, but even then the chicken breast is a good fit.

TVP is an option, especially with a flavoured dish like Pad Thai, but it still isn't quite the same texture.

The talk of shredding and dehydrating does have me thinking of pulled pork. That should be a perfect fit.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2013, 12:44 pm 

Last time I tried to poach a chicken, the farmer shot at me. :o

PostPosted: March 14th, 2013, 1:49 pm 

I generally use organic chicken thighs. Cheaper than chicken breast & has more flavour when reconstituted. TVP is great for chilli - another dehydrated tripping staple. Also, try potato leek soup. When cooking it, avoid using any milk. A few extra potatoes will make a thick soup after blending. Great for the dehydrator if your machine has the proper sheets for holding sauces & liquids.

...And then there's Beef & Guinness Stew ;-) A killer!

www.mikemonaghan.ca