View topic - Upgrading Zebra Billy Cans

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 4th, 2013, 5:10 pm 

These pots are well known in the UK, particularly amongst the "bushcrafting" folk and have been widely featured by Ray Mears on his TV series and in his books.

Not so well known in Canada but are available from Bushcraft Canada and also Canadian Outdoor Equipment.

They are very robust (heavy) but this durability is definitely a plus point if you are using them over an open fire. The bail handle is particularly useful if you want to hang the pot and also helps keep the handle out of the flames.

Unfortunately this handle also makes it impossible to nest pots inside one another so though you can use some of the space inside to store cups and other items is does increase the space occupied in your pack if you have more than one pot.

I bought a 12cm pot recently and from reading a tip on BushcraftUK I have changed the handle to make nesting possible.

The picture below shows my smaller modded pot alongside my kettle with the standard handle.

I ground off the rivets, removing the flat handle then adding a length of bicycle brake cable instead. It's connected via a couple of split links from the fishing tackle section at Canadian Tire.

Worked fine on this test run on top of my new titanium Yukon mini firebox. The ferrules I used to clamp the wire are aluminum so I am slightly concerned they may loosen but hopefully they are sufficiently far away from the flames to be OK!

Chris

PostPosted: May 5th, 2013, 2:10 am 

I dunno..... In the States, we had Billy Beer, and cans of same now have modest worth to collectors. But UK Billy?

PostPosted: May 5th, 2013, 8:25 am 

Blame the Australians.

I'm pretty sure it's an Aussie term that has come back to the Mother country!

If you listen to Waltzing Matilda there is a line that includes "watching while his billy boiled" or something similar...

Chris

PostPosted: May 5th, 2013, 4:41 pm 

When dealing with a campfire one must not get a Billy can mixed-up with a Jerry can, otherwise one might become zero!! :o

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2013, 12:55 pm 

That's a good looking kettle as well. It sure makes sense to be able to nest them together.