View topic - When is the Ground Beef done?

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 8:47 pm 

I'm dehydrating my first batch of ground beef tonight. I researched the process thoroughly here and elsewhere, and now I'm getting nervous! I followed the steps as below:

- cooked till water evaporated;
- rinsed in hot water through a colander;
- pat dried on paper towel;
- spread out on drying trays in a thin layer, breaking up clumps;
- temperature set to 155/68;

After about 3 hours, much of the ground beef seems fairly dry already, the granules seem crisp, the pebble size pieces getting there. I'm worried the really small stuff will turn to sand, before the rice-krispy size bits are dry.

Am I on the right track? What should it look and feel like when dry?

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 7:46 am 

Yes, you are doing OK. Being small the little pieces rehydrate well.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 7:58 am 

When you first cook it, make sure you break it up into small bits. I dehydrate for 24 hours. Its 100% dry. Dry and hard like sand and gravel. It rehydrates fine. On a trip I add it to cold water, bring to a boil, and simmer for about 20 minutes and its done. It keeps with zero worries.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 8:35 am 

I would have gone with 165F for dehydrating the meat, even though it is already cooked. 4 hours usually does it for me at that temp.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 11:55 am 

What you are doing is fine and you end up with a good product. Course sand-like hard granules of ground beef. When rehydrating I pour on boiling water and insulate in a home made fleece cozy. Doubled zip-lock freezer bags work fine. In 20 minutes it is ready to use. Just make sure you have added enough hot water. After it is rehydrated, try mixing with instant mashed potatoes along with rehydrated pre-cooked and seasoned mixed veggies. Sort of a shepherd's pie. Very tasty and satisfying.

The next time you cook the ground beef, try adding minced fresh onion and some herbs, salt and pepper. Just before it is done, mix in a couple of tablespoons of flour. What you get is wonderful when rehydrated. Way better than plain unseasoned beef.

I have never washed the just-cooked beef in water, but I do use the leanest I can buy, and press it between two cookie sheets with paper towels to extract any grease. Never had any problem with it going bad. If I know I am not going to leave it at room temperature for an extended period, I might not even bother with the press. I always store my dehydrated food in the freezer if I am not going to use it for several days or weeks. Fat does have flavor, as long as it doesn't go rancid.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 3:28 pm 

Well everything looks to have turned out great - thanks for all the advice!

But, my enthusiasm led me to overlook the exact amount I dehyrdated.

Does anyone know what volume a serving of dried ground beef is? 1/2 cup?

I want to separate out 2 serving portions for chillis and pasta sauces amongst other things....

PostPosted: July 31st, 2013, 10:01 am 

I use 1/2 cup as a single serving, but I know some use 3/4.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: August 6th, 2013, 11:23 pm 

Hi

I have not researched other posts but would like to add (again?) my experience with hamburger.

My tip is refers to how you cook the hamburger. I use lean or extra lean. Seasoning can be add or not. I place the hamburger into a large fry pan and cook with the lid on, to steam the meat.I break larger pieces up to small pieces. Cook till just done, re no pink, overcooking toughens the meat. Drain, pat down. Dry thoroughly.

I double bag and put it the freezer. You can trip with it either double bagged or vac-packed depending on the length on trip and weather.

Fried hamburger DOES NOT rehydrate as well steam hamburger.

Karl