View topic - Weight of White Gas

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weight of White Gas
PostPosted: September 4th, 2013, 3:58 pm 

As a disclaimer, I have very poor skills at math - the most complex calculation I encounter regularly is tipping!

After years of eye-balling, I decided to finally approach my fuel consumption needs in a scientific manner.

What is the weight in grams of 1 ml of white gas?

As a start....I believe - and thus could be way off - that 1 US fluid ounce of white gas weighs approximately 21.26 grams....

Post subject: Re: Weight of White Gas
PostPosted: September 4th, 2013, 4:40 pm 

The density of naptha (white gas) is reported to be 750–785 kg/m3, which means the specific gravity is 0.75 to 0.785. Therefore 1 ml of white gas should weigh in at 0.75 to 0.785 grams.

Given that 1 US fluid ounce = 29.5735 ml, 1 US fluid ounce should weigh 22.2 to 23.2 grams.

Pretty close to your calculated value.

Now what is your rate of fuel consumption in millilitres per hour of stove usage?

PostPosted: September 4th, 2013, 7:42 pm 

Rate of consumption in ml is trickier, I haven't gotten to what 1 ml of naphta is in grams!

Not having actually measured total burn time of the stove, I came up with approximately 220 minutes, over the course of all meals and teas/coffees prepared.

Converting total number of grams consumed (543g) to fluid ounces of white gas (25.54), I calculated that 755 ml of fuel were used. Accordingly, it would appear that the 755 ml were consumed over 220 minutes, at a rate of 3.4 ml/minute.

My estimated time could be way off, since other than keeping track of mileage and speed, I rarely measure time while on a trip with minutes, seconds, etc, but the angle of the sun...

PostPosted: September 5th, 2013, 12:21 pm 

bimber, you wrote, decided to finally approach my fuel consumption needs in a scientific manner.
and then asked for the weight.
I would have thought your interest would be quantity or consumption, over weight.

I usually use a consumption per day rate, as in 1/10 L per person per day for a hot breakfast and supper on the tundra (cold lunch).

PostPosted: September 5th, 2013, 1:39 pm 

Prior to my last trip, I measured the weight of the fuel using an old kitchen scale, not the volume in ml - volume is the figure I was looking for, but had to get to it from the starting point of how many grams in fuel I used...

Now once I have a better estimate of total time the stove ran, I might finally venture out again and come back with a 100ml of fuel, rather than the 400-500ml up to this point!

PostPosted: September 5th, 2013, 2:28 pm 

Hmmm, I've never considered carrying less than a full 1L bottle. In other words, I always add a full bottle if needed for the trip length, never a partially full bottle). I start the trip with the stove full if that's enough for the trip (a weekend) I don't carry another bottle. If I'm out for a week, I carry a full bottle in addition to the stove, and continue to add full bottles as the length of the trip dictates.

PK

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 12:40 pm 

Many people prefer to have a larger safely margin than 100 ml of fuel.

Extra fuel often comes in handy.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 5:53 pm 

Presumably you waste some fuel each time you have to prime the stove plus it is probably difficult to actually use the last drop of fuel in the bottle?

I think there are better ways to save some weight than trying to skimp on fuel.

I suppose if you take food that could be eaten raw it would serve as a back up or just be confident that you can cook over a wood fire if needed.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2013, 7:57 am 

Running out of fuel in the Canadian Wilderness isn't the end of the world. You can always cook on a wood fire so long as there isn't fire ban.

PK

PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 11:24 pm 

My safety margin is subject to how far out my route takes me, the season, weather, and appetite, to begin with. Regardless, I've often come home with sometimes only half the fuel being consumed. This is because, of all the meticulous planning, somehow, the tradition has been that fuel bottles are the last thing to be filled and packed away.

I agree with PK - thus far, a wood fire has never failed when in a pinch (other than nearly ruining a pot on one occasion).

Coleman white gas, by the way - has a mass of approximately 0.7 grams per ml. Good to see I haven't entirely lost middle school math...