View topic - The Absurdly Low Caloric Content of Freeze Dried Dinners

It is currently December 6th, 2019, 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 10th, 2013, 6:46 pm 

They keep the fat levels low as it keeps longer- less chance of going rancid.

We also tend to make up recipes with very little or no fat for dehydrating, adding it later at the cooking stage.

do brains actually have any fat?

I'm always a bit doubtful about any claims that say a particular type of food won't make you fat. I tend to think that if calories in minus calories consumed plus calories excreted is greater than zero it has to go somewhere!

If you want fat try nuts. Macadamia are likely the highest in fat but peanuts and most other nuts and seeds have plenty enough to keep you happy.

If I remember correctly fat requires more water to be metabolized so don't forget to add a splash to your whisky!

Chris

PostPosted: October 10th, 2013, 6:54 pm 

I don't think that you need to view the freeze dried meals as a complete meal. I am less bothered by the low calorie count as frankly I don't need them. But I also like gorp.. and that is on the side. I snack all day.

Cheese, landjaeger that sort of caloric stuff. I wish I lost more weight on canoe trips than I do. I do carry olive oil and herbs and ingredients for bannock..which does not help at ALL.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2013, 7:14 pm 

After reading this thread I did some quick research........

In addition to the 600 calorie MIAB I also consume other stuff during a day of paddling, not hard at all to get up to that 2500 - 3000 level.

Breakfast - Oatmeal with dried fruit, tea with sugar and a bit of chocolate
Lunch - A wrap with cheese and other "stuff"
Snacks - Granola bar(s), chocolate, nuts, dried fruit
Dessert with dinner - Cookies, Cakes, bread & jam, chocolate

One 100gm chocolate bar a day by itself is more cals than a MIAB as is 100gm of nuts

I have little extra body fat so I understand how easy it is the fall short on caloric intake, used to be a problem for me when I had nothing but tea and cigarettes for breakfast, skip lunch for the most part and don't bother with after dinner snacks. I've changed my ways and now can come home from a two week trip without losing any weight......and it feels a whole lot better!

PostPosted: October 10th, 2013, 8:44 pm 

I am with the lads on the right of the comic. But I have to admit that most of what I eat is from agriculture and its starchy carbs. I really should be eating total Paleo: meat, fat, fat, meat (I class fish as "meat", and fish brains are a source of fat and supposed to be really good for you and ), nuts, berries, fruit, and some occasional green leafies.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2013, 7:44 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

Thread drift alert!

When you read the layman literature regarding diet, endurance activities, (as in canoeing), weight loss, paleo nutrition, type 2 diabetes, the Atkins diet etc. you have to shake your head and wonder how come there are such deep divisions (and mud-slinging) between the proponents of one type of macronutrient intake levels and another. In the past 2 months I have read no fewer than 12 books on the topic. There seems to be a lot of cherry picking of studies and accusations of study authors cherry picking their results or simply drawing conclusions that aren't supported by their own data.

For fat, how about taking a cedar box full of Oolichans.

More on-topic, for a one or two nighter I think the store-bought freeze-dried meals are OK (if supplemented by sufficient numbers of Snickers bars. :lol: ) but for a week-long trip I would definitely want to dehydrate my own food. One could always go a bit paleo and forage for grubs and berries. Either that or pan-fry a few pickerel or trout!

PostPosted: October 12th, 2013, 4:15 pm 

Like recped, I also target 2500-3000 calories for an average day of paddling / portaging.

My daily menu typically looks something like this:
Breakfast: Granola (750 kcal)
Lunch: snacking on GORP and dried fruit throughout the day (750 kcal)
Dinner: Meat + veg (400 kcal) plus rice or pasta (600 kcal) plus maybe lentils or chick peas

Most of my food energy comes from carbs, some from protein, and almost none from fat. You need the carbs to supply glucose to your muscles' aerobic pathways during ongoing exercise as well as to replenish your liver and muscle glycogen stores during the evening. Some (not too much) fat in your daily diet is ok, but you don't want to depend on it for the bulk of your energy needs. The body can burn fat as fuel, but fat is usually only a minor contributor to the day's burn, and in this context all of us have lots of body fat to spare.

If you're an Excel wonk, I have a not-at-all-user-friendly work-in-progress spreadsheet that can calculate calorie and nutritional information from user-input recipes and ingredients. PM me and I will email you a copy if you're interested.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2013, 6:39 am 

You can figure out your basal metabolic rate here:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Then you can factor in activity level using the Harris Benedict Equation: sedentary, multiply by 1.2; light excercise, multiply by 1.375; moderate exercise, multiply by 1.55, heavy exercise, multiply by 1.725, extra active 1.9 (that info is all in the above link too).

I'm pleased that this thread has generated a lively conversation!

I do want to clarify that commercial freeze dried food was not my only nor my main source of nutrition. I just think it's beyond ridiculous that a company can market a meal with so few calories as a meal specifically designed for people who are, by definition, doing strenuous exercise. But then again, most of what I see that in the commercial "outdoors" markets is now targeted towards city folks out for 1-3 night "expeditions".

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2013, 6:44 am 

chris randall wrote:

Cell metabolism is fat dependent. Brain function is highly fat dependent, which is why fish oils and other fatty acid containing food supplements are sometimes recommended for people suffering from neurological problems.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2013, 9:02 am 

SteveBoal wrote:
chris randall wrote:

Cell metabolism is fat dependent. Brain function is highly fat dependent, which is why fish oils and other fatty acid containing food supplements are sometimes recommended for people suffering from neurological problems.

Of course it is, dumb of me to forget out the myelin sheath. I was thinking more in terms of subcutaneous fat and other fats around muscles that we normally see in meat.

Also a good source of parasites in some cases!

PostPosted: October 13th, 2013, 10:18 am 

Quote:
For fat, how about taking a cedar box full of Oolichans.

Good for starting campfires, too.

Some prefer to catch bigger fish. There's a hugely underutilized resource in Canada... blubber.

For the rest of us, wouldn't simply adding some margarine work... some mountaineering types take tubs of marg on their high-energy treks.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2013, 10:29 am 

Olive oil or ghee is neater!..Makes some of those freeze dried "meals" taste better too.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2013, 9:54 pm 

This discussion reminded me of the Hubbard expedition.
Please bear with me in the following.
Has anyone read those journals carefully enough to know how they ate?
I understand that some fish have little fat. And I vaguely recall (perhaps my failing mind is playing tricks on me) reading that fish with little fat are common in that area.
Hubbard died of starvation, and Wallace nearly did so. Was the cause perhaps lack of fat? Or were they just unable to live off the land in general, perhaps because they were rushing to get back?
Just musing, from a base of zero knowledge.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: October 14th, 2013, 7:58 am 

One of the recent revisionist thoughts I read was that Hubbard actually had beaver fever. His guides were fine, but were unable to continue moving quickly because Hubbard could not continue.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2013, 5:23 pm 

Low caloric content of the freeze-dried pre-packaged meals has long been a pet peeve of mine.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 8:18 pm 

SteveBoal wrote:
... Brain function is highly fat dependent ...

I'm not sure I understand you there.

The brain burns some 400 calories per day, virtually all of it from glucose. Unlike muscles, the brain cannot use fatty acids for fuel: fatty acids are bound to albumin in the blood, and cannot even cross the blood-brain barrier. Any fats needed within the brain itself (myelin for example) are synthesized there, so in effect, the brain is isolated from any ingested dietary fat.