View topic - The Absurdly Low Caloric Content of Freeze Dried Dinners

It is currently December 16th, 2019, 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 8:49 pm 

Allan Jacobs wrote:
This discussion reminded me of the Hubbard expedition.
Please bear with me in the following.
Has anyone read those journals carefully enough to know how they ate?
I understand that some fish have little fat. And I vaguely recall (perhaps my failing mind is playing tricks on me) reading that fish with little fat are common in that area.
Hubbard died of starvation, and Wallace nearly did so. Was the cause perhaps lack of fat? Or were they just unable to live off the land in general, perhaps because they were rushing to get back?
Just musing, from a base of zero knowledge.

From my interpretation they just ran out of supplies and although they were quite successful at catching fish early on, as the seasons progressed they just failed to gather enough wild food. Plus it was so cold that they were probably burning way more calories than anticipated. I think I recall them eating mouldy flour from a discarded sack and other fairly desperate moves.

This sought of brings up the debate about whether in an emergency you should ration supplies so that you last longer or eat enough so that you maintain performance in the short term. I guess it depends on if you are waiting for rescue or hope to make your own escape!

PostPosted: July 13th, 2014, 6:08 pm 

Twice now I've had to abandon my endeavours due to trip organizers refusing me the ability to provide my own food. Both organizations offer these freeze dried meals which are low in calories and high in sodium as part of their package and will only allow me to alter their menu if I have a medical condition.

A doctors note? I'm sorry but I believe in preventative medicine before it is too late. I don't get hammered every night knowing that liver disease can be cured by an unsuspecting donor or smoke a pack of Players day in day out with intentions of having chemotherapy down the line. As an organizer of one of these programmes would I really want someone with a medical condition that requires low sodium in my care?.. Portaging, carrying heavy packs, paddling all day in the sun ...

I'm not saying that a weeks worth of a salty diet is going to lead to any complications to my health but there is that factor that it is I who want to enjoy myself and any trip I'm involved in. Those that guide all summer long and subject themselves to these super easy, super salty meals are putting themselves and what they love to do at risk. There is far too much evidence to support this.

I will borrow a line from a popular T. V. show when I say " I once ate a Mountain House turkey dinner and it was the saltiest thing I ever tasted... And I even once ate a box of salt. "

PostPosted: July 13th, 2014, 7:28 pm 

re salt
For comparison the Keg French Onion Soup has 2541 mg of sodium

PostPosted: July 13th, 2014, 9:50 pm 

bearburrito wrote:
Twice now I've had to abandon my endeavours due to trip organizers refusing me the ability to provide my own food. Both organizations offer these freeze dried meals which are low in calories and high in sodium as part of their package and will only allow me to alter their menu if I have a medical condition.

A doctors note? I'm sorry but I believe in preventative medicine before it is too late. I don't get hammered every night knowing that liver disease can be cured by an unsuspecting donor or smoke a pack of Players day in day out with intentions of having chemotherapy down the line. As an organizer of one of these programmes would I really want someone with a medical condition that requires low sodium in my care?.. Portaging, carrying heavy packs, paddling all day in the sun ...

I'm not saying that a weeks worth of a salty diet is going to lead to any complications to my health but there is that factor that it is I who want to enjoy myself and any trip I'm involved in. Those that guide all summer long and subject themselves to these super easy, super salty meals are putting themselves and what they love to do at risk. There is far too much evidence to support this.

I will borrow a line from a popular T. V. show when I say " I once ate a Mountain House turkey dinner and it was the saltiest thing I ever tasted... And I even once ate a box of salt. "

What foods would you carry on a one week trip, in the hot summer, working, paddling etc? I don't think freezer dried is the only food these organizations provide. Breakfast and lunches are completely different.

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

PostPosted: July 14th, 2014, 5:43 pm 

I guess that would very much depend on how much I'm charging my customers.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2014, 7:31 pm 

Bear

You have me really curious. I have guided for a few companies and my OH and I are in the process of starting our own company. I have never seen a freeze dried meal on a guided trip. They would be way more expensive than prepping meals from scratch. What type of food were the companies you were looking at specifically including that you did not like?

Christine

PostPosted: July 14th, 2014, 8:21 pm 

Hey Christine

I still need that paddling instruction but I'm caught up with work right now and every time I think of heading your way I slip into the west side of the park and lose myself. Maybe in the fall you can correct me of my evil ways.

But to your question: That is the problem I have asked these organizers for their menu and they refuse to give one. Well why would I not want to know what my daily nutrition is if I'm not allowed to bring my own food? It seems silly that I must give a deposit for a trip before I can find out what I am eating. And of course through e-mail it was implied that if I had a problem with low calorie, high sodium meals I should venture no further unless I could find a medical problem or wacky religion that prohibits such salty intake.

As silly as this sounds... but as a quasi vegetarian I think t is my right to know. But good luck with your guiding and if someone should ask you what you would feed them please don't bother letting them know for your bookings will surely grow.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2014, 8:31 pm 

Hi Bear,

Now I understand. I think some companies hold their menus close to their chest but yes I completely agree some companies are better than others at adjusting meal plans to suit dietary needs and I totally get wanting to have some control over food choices while on trip!

Christine

PostPosted: July 16th, 2014, 3:18 pm 

You can always add fat to freeze dried meals. Olive oil transports wonderfully.

Most people supplement with nuts and other sources of fat and protein; this would include cheese.

Last edited by Hiker Neil on July 17th, 2014, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thread split.