View topic - Holes in Storage Bags

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Holes in Storage Bags
PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 3:09 pm 

So I just dehydrated some spaghetti and meat sauce. Everything went great until I vacuum sealed the individual portions. At this point the spaghetti poked holes through my bags.

My solution then is to use less sharp pastas like elbow pasta. Does this make sense?

Are there other foods that will poke holes through the storage bags when vacuum sealed? Anybody have tricks to avoid this problem?

Thank you

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 3:15 pm 

I haven't tried it, but I read someone wrapped the food loosely in a paper towel before sealing it. This also provides a napkin for cleanup.

kp

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 4:22 pm 

My jerky often pokes holes in the vacuum bags. And I've had the issue at other times as well. I have wrapped the jerky in paper towel, but I guess I prefer to arrange pieces so that the pointy bits point inward if possible. Sometimes I've re-bagged the item inside the now-perforated bag.

My vacuum sealer has a "gentle" setting so if I think of it I'll sometimes use that setting.

Bryan

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 4:45 pm 

Dehydrated potato cubes will put holes in the bag as well.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 5:29 pm 

Please enlighten someone who has never intentionally dehydrated anything.....

Why dehydrate a product that comes from the store dehydrated in a box for 99 cents?

I understand dehydrating the sauce but the noodles????

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 5:46 pm 

We store and transport our's the first bag, then transfer food into a new bag with boiling water then put that back in the holy bag for extra backup.
2 bags yes, but very lightweight and zero dishes to do.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 7:55 pm 

Thank you for the tips. I am going to try some things and report back.

I've been told cooking/mixing everything together would allow the flavours to be soaked in better. It also makes dividing up serving sizes easier in that you make each serving size before dehydrating. That being said I think I will do the pasta and sauces separate from now on...does not seem worth the hassle.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 8:22 pm 

I do the meat separately. It dehydrates at a higher temperature than veggies / sauce.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 8:25 pm 

recped wrote:
Please enlighten someone who has never intentionally dehydrated anything.....

Why dehydrate a product that comes from the store dehydrated in a box for 99 cents?

I understand dehydrating the sauce but the noodles????

It does cut down the cooking time while on a trip, although more prep work. You can do noodles / sauce - the just add water. No need to cook.

Although I prefer to cook noodles on the trip. It's enough work to dehydrate all the other stuff as it is.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 8:35 pm 

AndrewMc wrote:
I do the meat separately. It dehydrates at a higher temperature than veggies / sauce.

For spaghetti sauce I find it works much better do dehydrate the meat and sauce separately. On the other hand chili works really well when cooked up and then dehydrated as a 'finished product'. I'm really not sure why it seems to be that much of a difference since I'm using essentially the same tomato sauce in both. My guess is that the kidney beans have something to do with it, but it's really just a guess.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 9:58 pm 

Interesting.... It could have to do with the kidney beans. They don't dehydrate well on their own - tend to split and break up into pieces.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 11:34 am 

One solution, make foil pouches to put dehydrated food in and then vacuum seal it. I just did 9 meals this way and have had no holes yet.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2014, 10:07 am 

To make Spaghetti with meat sauce you really only need to dehydrate the ground beef.
Buy tomato powder, available in cans from Walton Feeds.
Make your own pasta sauce from the powder, adding spices some dried onion bits, maybe some dried mushrooms, all of which can be bought in your grocery store.
Boil water, add ground beef and rehydrate by boiling for a few minutes, then add pasta powder mix and a little bit of olive oil to the sauce as you rehydrate it.
Cook the pasta separately. Usually ~10-12 minutes. You can be eating it all in about 25 minutes.

You can use the same dry pasta mix to make Lasagne or Chili.
Lasagne is real easy.Instead of using lasagna noodles, which are hard to package use Penacce.
Penacce is bronze cut pasta that travels well in a bag, and cooks up in ~10minutes.It is much easier to layer cooked penacce into a small frying pan than cooked lasagne noodles, which may need to be cut into shorter pieces. Add sauce then layer on shredded Mozarella, etc.

For Chili, precook the brown beans, for a good long time (several hours) and then put them in the dehydrator and dry them. The brown beans ( or white beans) split when you dry them, but close up again as they rehydrate.

I usually keep a good supply of dried food ingredients on hand and then weigh out the various ingredients needed for a meal(s).
This is a different approach than most people take, but if you are doing multiple trips yearly, then it is pretty easy to make up numerous meals and combinations of meals from the supply of dried ingredients that you have on hand and keep adding to the supply as you consume them.
Most of the dried veggie stuff will keep for a few years so you don't have to make a new batch of each ingredient every year.
I do dried ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, dried pulled pork, and dried shredded beef. The shredded beef can be very tasty when rehydrated.The meats all store well in a freezer for more than a few years.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2014, 5:33 pm 

Thx, Mac. I didn't know about Walton foods. Might give them a try for tomato & other stuff.

Here's what we do: (1) dehydrate ground beef separately---used for pasta and other meals (2) take a jar of tomato(store bought or wife's homemede) and reduce the water by simmering in a fry pan---do until consistency is similar to tomato paste (3) finish on parchment in the dehydrator.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2014, 5:37 pm 

Good idea on the parchment paper, those fruit roll trays are hard to find.