View topic - Campfire Cooking - building a good fireplace

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 8:33 am 

Thanks for the advice Wotrock and CRandle. The Littlbug has no bottom, so I was going to use an old galvanized tin plate (baking sheet material) set on rock. .http://littlbug.com/littlbug_stove_senior.html
I wouldn't trust anything organic underneath. I do have some experimenting to do. I wasn't intending to move it around, but that's something to consider. I've looked at other fireboxes, and could easily start a collection, but I'll start with this one, and see where it takes me. I might also try the alcohol burning option, though I add twig fires in mind.
As per the OP, rebuilding smaller more efficient fireplaces can be enjoyable. Again, thanks Splake for this video.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 10:12 am 

Quote:
At the risk of going slightly off topic, why buy a firebox without a base?

The firebox should burn hotter with a metal base... the metal bottom will help keep everything going at a higher temp, and it will help keep out water vapor that may be on the ground... water vapor coming up from the ground tends to kill fires.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 9:35 am 

FT,
I must disagree with this. Metal, as you know, is a very good conductor of heat. It won't protect the ground from the high temps of the fire, so the same amount of heat will still be wasted in evaporating any moisture in the ground. To have less effect on the soil, both in terms of heat loss and damage to the soil, some form of insulation is needed. The best way I can think of is to provide an air gap between the fire and the ground. On my stove this gap provides bottom draft. I think at least one of the designs on the market has 2 metal plates with an air gap in between.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 11:06 am 

Wotrock, the effect of water vapor on a fire is that it kills the fire, maybe by displacing oxygen that can get in to the flames. A metal bottom is said to keep water vapor escaping from the ground out and away from the flames so the fire burns hotter.

If you can rig up something that sends steam into a fire, you'll see right away that the steam kills fire (yes, I actually tried this once with copper pipes).