View topic - Homemade Baked Beans Recipe

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 17th, 2014, 12:31 pm 

- 1 bag (900grams) navy beans (soaked in twice as much water over night)
- 900ml beef broth
- 1 bottle BBQ sauce (I use Bulls Eye Bold)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 tbsp chill powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 cup chipotle pepper sauce
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp worchesteshire sauce
- salt and pepper
- place all ingredients in crock pot and cook on high for 8-10 hours or cook in dutch oven in the oven at 300C for 4-6 hours
- cook until tender stirring occasionally
- place on fruit roll sheets about 1/4" thick in dehydrator and dehydrate for about 10 hours, rotate trays every 3-4 hours.

To rehydrate and eat:
Place serving size into pot, add enough water to be in line with beans. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand for 20 min.

I did not list serving sizes. This recipe makes a big pot of baked beans. I like to use 2 cup serving sizes measured before dehydrating. That makes one very large serving size that will be plenty after a hard day of paddling...for me...I am 260lbs.

Attachments:
rehydrated baked beans.JPG
rehydrated baked beans.JPG [ 132.52 KiB | Viewed 2994 times ]
dehydrated baked beans.JPG
dehydrated baked beans.JPG [ 123.46 KiB | Viewed 2994 times ]

Last edited by Sam82 on February 18th, 2014, 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2014, 8:36 pm 

Nicely done! I plan to do some beans this winter - might just have to steal your recipe!

PostPosted: February 17th, 2014, 11:32 pm 

I'd highly recommend dehydrating baked beans whether it is this recipe or your own...they just turn out excellent. Very low budget too.

Sort of funny, I was going to follow somebody else's recipe on line that looked delicious and I'm sure it is and it called for some sort of canned bean. My wife said "no way", we will make our own from scratch! I'd never had the real deal before meeting her. This will be a nice addition to our meals in camp.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 12:01 pm 

My usual baked beans recipe is good, but this one looks really tasty. And your wife is right on the money about using the dried beans and not cheating with canned.

Maybe I'll give this a try on the weekend. Just one question - what size bag of beans did you use? I am guessing the ~900 gram bag, which does indeed make a huge pot of beans.

Thanks for posting your recipe.

DG

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 12:30 pm 

diagram wrote:
Just one question - what size bag of beans did you use? I am guessing the ~900 gram bag, which does indeed make a huge pot of beans.

My bet is going on a one pound bag - which is still a lotta beans.

My problem with making beans is I pretty much always end up with beans that are still a bit crunchy, even after soaking overnight & cooking the heck out of them (slow cooker, dutch oven, casserole, whatever).

Looks good and I'll have to try this once I get my dehydrator back from the friend I loaned it to.

Bryan

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 12:46 pm 

pawistik wrote:
My bet is going on a one pound bag - which is still a lotta beans.

My problem with making beans is I pretty much always end up with beans that are still a bit crunchy, even after soaking overnight & cooking the heck out of them (slow cooker, dutch oven, casserole, whatever).

I usually use the two pound bag, which does make a huge pot of beans, but the extra freezes well for later use.

A three-stage process seems to help get rid of the crunchiness.
1. soak overnight in cold water; drain
2. add fresh cold water, bring to a boil, boil for at least 30 min., up to 60 min. (more is better). This tends to foam up, so keep an eye on the pot. Drain, reserving cooking water
3. put beans and other ingredients in crock pot/casserole/dutch oven, add enough cooking water to come just to the top of the beans. Cook by your chosen method (usually takes 7 or 8 hours), adding more of the leftover cooking water if the beans get too dry.

Making a huge batch means I don't have to do all the above too often.

DG

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 2:15 pm 

Sorry, yes 900gram bag ;)

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 2:40 pm 

I appreciate your recipe but will reserve it for solo trips.
Seems unwise for me to make it for two when the other is sharing the tent. too bad we can't harness the vapor to fuel the fire.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 3:02 pm 

Looks as if LRC beat me to it.
Here is my recipe made up using separate ingredients:

Tripping Beans

1. Soak a bag of white beans (1#) overnight in a bowl covered with water, then cook at a rolling boil for 1.5 hours. Check to make sure they are completely cooked by sampling several. Cook longer if necessary.
2. Rinse and dehydrate overnight. Beans open up on dehydration. Don’t worry, they close back up on hydration. Store in a closed bottle. They will keep for several years.

Single Meal Quantity – (Non) Baked Beans with Pork
Dried Beans 50g packaged separately
Brown sugar 1 Tbls.
Mustard Packs 3x
Dried Onions 10g
Pasta Powder 20g Can use Dried pasta sauce, or tomato powder,
Molasses 40g sealed in vacuum bag
Pepper 1/8 tsp.
Vinegar packs 3x
Meat 25g can be precooked bacon, or cooked and dried
Tenderloin medallions etc.
Totals ~150g
I package the dried beans separately in a Zip lock bag.
Sugar can be added to the pasta powder. Molasses is packed in a polyethylene vacuum bag made to size. The vinegar and mustard are restaurant packs or if you have several other meals requiring Vinegar and/or Mustard, just bring some small plastic bottles along, that hold enough, sufficient for your needs.
Onions can be put in with the pasta sauce. Pepper is probably with you in a shaker or pack in a very small Zip Lock.

Using precooked bacon works well to enhance flavor. I would use maybe 4x slices and cut them up with a scissor’s directly into the pot just after all the ingredients have been added. I usually have precooked bacon along on trips so I just bring along enough extra for these other meals.

I put all the pre-packaged ingredients in a Freezer Ziplock add a label with date etc and a note as to what else is needed for this meal… i.e precooked bacon or vinegar and mustard if not prepackaged. Without the note you might forget as you are packing for your trip.

If I don’t use this meal on a trip it gets stored for the next trip. There are no ingredients that will go rancid if kept dry. Pasta sauce could be a problem if you dry commercial sauce. I used to do that then got in the habit of making my own using tomato powder with other dried ingredients and leaving out the olive oil, preferring to add that from a small container as the meal is being rehydrated in the pot.
It takes about 15-20 minutes to rehydrate all this for a tasty meal when using precooked bacon or a bit longer with other meats such as Tenderloin medallions

This is a great meal if you are tripping by yourself. If you are tenting with a companion I would decrease the amount of molasses .

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 5:33 pm 

Sam82 wrote:
Sorry, yes 900gram bag ;)

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll try this soon.

DG

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 7:47 pm 

thanks for the recipe.

pressure cooker is good for beans. Takes about 10 minutes after a night of soaking.

And if you're going to do really do it from scratch you have to grow your own beans!

If you want to try something fancy try this website

http://www.heritageharvestseed.com/

I grew Mandan Black and Hidatsa red last year.

Chris

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 11:28 pm 

pawistik wrote:

Bryan

I had that problem when cooking beans and split pea soup with our well water, which is very "hard". It didn't matter how long I cooked them - still tough! Using water after going through our water softener didn't help either. I guessed it could be the minerals in our water so we now use bottled water and there's no problem with tough beans. :thumbup:

PostPosted: February 19th, 2014, 10:59 am 

splashdancer wrote:
I had that problem when cooking beans and split pea soup with our well water, which is very "hard". It didn't matter how long I cooked them - still tough! Using water after going through our water softener didn't help either. I guessed it could be the minerals in our water so we now use bottled water and there's no problem with tough beans. :thumbup:

That thought had crossed my mind. Our water source is the South Saskatchewan River and the city of Saskatoon (I believe) softens the water in the summer months (when there is runoff carrying minerals) but not in the winter. So, while not iron-tasting well water, and not Regina water which destroys a water heater in a few years, there definitely is some water hardness there.

I googled "hard water beans" and found this near the top of the pile:
http://ruhlman.com/2011/03/how-to-cook-dried-beans/
Quote:
Of course we now have a new food science and cooking encyclopedia, Modernist Cuisine, to go to (my NYTimes review of it seems to have caused a small but healthy brouhaha on the internet). Let’s see if it can help us. Lo! Yes, indeed! It suggests a test. Cook beans in water with some baking soda to make it alkaline. Cook other beans in tap water and in distilled water. The beans cooked in alkaline water will get mushy. The beans cooked in tap water, if it is especially hard, may never get tender. Beans in distilled water should cook just right. True to its exhaustive nature, the book also suggest cooking beans in deionized water, which is not pleasant to drink, it says, but will result in tender but not mushy beans (why you would cook food in something that tastes unpleasant, the book does not say). But the book comes through: if your beans never seem to get tender, it may not be the salt, or the soaking, but rather the minerals in your tap water!

I wonder what difference season might make to my beans? I should try the test it mentions. I do love home-made baked beans so would really like to perfect my recipe.

LRC makes a good point though. Is it irresponsible to make beans on a canoe trip with shared tents? ;) (Beans are great campfire food, consequences be damned.)

PostPosted: February 19th, 2014, 7:04 pm 

After reading the above posts, I like the notion of keeping an eye on the water hardness.I had batch once that was well cooked and dried well, so I thought, but they never rehydrated properly and I struggled through this batch by boiling the rehydrating beans for a longer period before adding the other ingredients.

The soaking water is almost always very hard Guelph water. Most of our water comes from artesian wells located in limestone formations. Also, I usually drain off the soak water and then add fresh, hot de-ionized water to the pot used to boil up the soaked beans before dehydrating. And they seem to come out ok. I suspect I must have used cold non de-ionized water for the tough batch without realizing it might have made a difference. So I will be watching the next time.
If deionized water doesn't work , I will try distilled water.
Can't say I have ever thought much about a water chemistry effect.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2014, 9:55 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
- too bad we can't harness the vapor to fuel the fire.

There are a lot of handy folks here on CCR. I'd be surprised if nobody has figured out a way of doing that by now!!! :rofl:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.