View topic - Homemade Baked Beans Recipe

It is currently October 16th, 2019, 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 7:23 am 

A while since I've run the dehydrator - been busy working on some scale kitchen renos.

Beans starting tonight. Dan, question on the recipe. Chipotle pepper sauce - is that a Tobasco product? 1/4 CUP?

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 12:27 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
I appreciate your recipe but will reserve it for solo trips.
Seems unwise for me to make it for two when the other is sharing the tent. too bad we can't harness the vapor to fuel the fire.

We've "deflated" that concern by having baked beans or split pea soup for lunch meals. I paddle bow so not much of a problem for me. :lol:

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 1:03 pm 

The chipotle pepper sauce I used was a hot sauce. I just made a new batch the other night and used Sriracha hot sauce....end product came out tasting just as good ;)

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 6:29 pm 

Sam82 wrote:
The chipotle pepper sauce I used was a hot sauce. I just made a new batch the other night and used Sriracha hot sauce....end product came out tasting just as good ;)

Sam I have a small jar of Sriracha in my fridge. Franlky 1/4 tsp of it unadultered sets me on fire.

Just want to confirm that you really did mean 1/4 cup.

( Once upon a time my sister in law gave me a recipe handed down for generations. It called for 4 tsp pepper. The result was inedible. Seems the 1 in 1/4 had gotten covered in food)

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 6:48 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Sam I have a small jar of Sriracha in my fridge. Franlky 1/4 tsp of it unadultered sets me on fire.

Just want to confirm that you really did mean 1/4 cup.

Why not make it to taste - start conservative, taste before it's done and add more as needed, or leave it out if spice isn't your thing. 1/4 cup of moderate hot sauce in 2 lbs of dry beans does not sound excessive to me. I would easily put a half to a full tablespoon of Siracha onto a single item on my plate.

I have some canned chipotles in adobo sauce, and some dried chipotles, and some home smoked & dried chipotle powder, and some epicure selections chipotle chili powder (excellent stuff, by the way & don't worry about the price costing more than regular chili powder - it easily goes 4 or 5 x farther than regular store-bought chili powder). All would make excellent additions to a pot of fiery campfire beans.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 9:18 pm 

Good idea Bryan !

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 9:21 pm 

Beans soaking in the pot, other ingredients mixed up in the fridge. Ready for the slow cooker in the morning.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 7:36 am 

Distiller water did the trick. Soaked overnight, boiled for about an hour this morning and they are quite soft.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 8:06 am 

I used a quarter cup of the sauce, wife liked it so not that hot. You really do not need to add the hot sauce. Maybe try without if you are really sensitive to it?

PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 8:41 am 

I used less of the hot sauce - much less. I'm hoping my son will actually eat these on a trip - he is 8 years old and tends to be a picky eater, although not so much when we are on a trip. Anyway, I tamed it down with that in mind.

The house is going to smell fantastic when I get home from work!

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 12:12 pm 

Dehydrated this recipe about 3weeks ago. Had a bowel today for lunch. Put a bowel full into a stainless thermos and added enough boiling water to just cover the beans. Rehydrated for 25 min. Just as good if not better than when they came out of the crock pot. Thanks for the recipe. You seem to have a really good handle on dehydrated food. Do you have any other recipes you care to share? Can't wait for my first spring trip. Thinking beans and bannock for a lunch with a side of freshly caught trout. Cheers.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 12:18 pm 

BOWL oops, guess it goes along with the subject though. Where's the spell check when you need it??

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 4:01 pm 

I brine the dried beans in 3 tablespoons of salt in 1 gallon of water. This softens the bean's skin and interior without the inside getting mushy. (I got this tip from America's Test Kitchen.)

Soak the beans in the brine solution for a full 24 hours before cooking. Drain and rinse thoroughly, then cook as normal. This solves the...vapor problem. (I don't remember where I got this tip, but it really works.)

Pete

Last edited by CPeters on March 30th, 2014, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 7:13 pm 

rayyronn wrote:
BOWL oops, guess it goes along with the subject though. Where's the spell check when you need it??

:rofl: :rofl:

A great chuckle!!

PostPosted: March 30th, 2014, 11:18 am 

rayyronn wrote:

No, "bowel full" pretty well nailed it. :rofl:

My American aunt used to cook huge and wonderful holiday meals for us, whenever we went Stateside for a visit. Years later, I was going through a family cookbook with my Mom, and came across the much loved Homemade Baked Beans Recipe. It had everything you'd expect, including molasses, dried beans, brown sugar etc. To my surprise it also included canned baked beans! What the...? My Mom said "It's called a short cut, so what?" I'll try the recipes shared in this thread, thanks very much for them. We add hot sauce to many things here at home, and I dry home grown chilli peppers for our meals; never thought of hot baked beans before. Excellent idea, thanks.