View topic - Dehydrated Pulled Pork

It is currently July 18th, 2019, 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dehydrated Pulled Pork
PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 12:17 am 

This is more of a test; first time trying this.

More like 'shredded pork' than pulled pork. Usually a shoulder roast is used for pulled pork, which I thought would be too fatty to dehydrate. I picked up a pork rib roast on my way home to give it a try.

First, trimmed as much fat as I could - which was tricky because with pork the fat tends to run through. Cut the roast in half and placed both halves in the crock pot, covered with BBQ sauce and set it to 'high'. Cooked on high for about 2 hours, then dropped the heat down to low for a while.

After 3 - 4 hours, removed the roast from the crock pot and proceeded to 'shred' them with 2 forks:

Then, returned the shredded meat back to the crock pot to sort of soak up the liquid.

Lastly, placed on 'fruit leather' sheets, approx. 1 cup per tray.

Set dehydrator to highest setting, and that is where it is now.

Will check it in the morning. Should be done by then and I will re-hydrate some to see how it turns out.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 1:44 am 

I look forward to seeing your result. If you can dry-cook it using a low & slow method like a smoker, then the fat melts out of it. The fat and collagen melting are what allows the pork to "pull". So in the end it's practically lean meat - well, maybe not quite.
Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 8:34 am 

So far so good. About 6-7 hours to dehydrate. There was no fat leaching out of the meat and was only a little bit on the sheet.

Will post pictures later. I have some rehydrating and will leave some out in a bag over the next week to test the shelf life.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 6:20 pm 

The verdict: works just fine!

Yielded this much:

Added boiling water to a small portion:

Simmered on the stove for a few minutes:

And enjoyed a bit for lunch!

PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 7:42 pm 

I've dehydrated pulled pork shoulder once before. To deal with the fat, I made sure it was cooked to 200F to render the fat into liquid. When pulling the meat into shreds, I removed any leftover bits of fat, then rinsed the meat in a colander.

Usually my meat experiments turn out dry and tough post hydration, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the pork turned back to soft and moist with very little effort. Much better than that frustrating chicken breast.

I'm still worried that some residual fat will turn rancid, so I've got a test batch sitting in my pantry at room temp for 2 weeks that I'll test soon.

I believe Laurie Ann March claims success with pulled pork recipes.

KP

PostPosted: March 25th, 2014, 10:48 am 

Awesome! I am going to go try this

Instagram: http://instagram.com/man_camping

PostPosted: March 25th, 2014, 9:24 pm 

Tried my 5 week old dehydrated pulled pork today. The one sitting in the pantry, not the freezer.

No rancid smell. Boiled the required water with a generous amount of salt, 90 ml water, 2.5 ml salt. Added the meat and stirred. Like a sponge, the meat sucked up all of the water in about 3 minutes. Simmered on med-low for 5 minutes under a cover.

Soft, tender, moist, a bit oversalted, and fantastic taste and texture. Went very well with some bottled bbq sauce and a bun.

Once again, I'm convinced this is much easier than trying all of the tricks to make chicken breast comply with my demands.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2014, 7:00 pm 

This looks great! Thanks for the diy with photos.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2014, 3:44 pm 

gobsmacked wrote:
Once again, I'm convinced this is much easier than trying all of the tricks to make chicken breast comply with my demands.

Have you tried canned chicken? I've never had luck dehydrating chicken breasts but the canned chicken works well. I would never eat it otherwise, but for the back country it's plenty delicious :)

PostPosted: August 11th, 2014, 9:00 pm 

I'm leaving tomorrow and ill let you know how it turned out.
Forgot the write down the water:porc ratio, but seems easy enough to eye ball.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2014, 8:00 am 

Should be easy to eye-ball. If you add too much water, just simmer a little longer.

I still have the pulled pork in the freezer - perhaps will bring along on my next trip.

One trick I've started doing with dehydrated food on trips is to get it 're-hydrating' sooner. I bring along a dedicated Nalgene bottle. A couple hours before a meal, I will dump the meal into the bottle and add water. When meal time comes, just need to heat it up and adjust the water content. I find this works better than just dumping the dried meal into a pot of boiling water.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 12:41 am 

I made some for a trip a few weeks ago! I used a very fatty pork shoulder roast, and I also got quite fancy with my homemade barbeque sauce, but that's just how I roll. After browning the meat, I cooked it in the slow cooker for probably about 10 hours, "pulled" it, and allowed the whole mess to cool so it was easy to remove the majority of the rendered fat. It was still kind of greasy in the dehydrator, so I just soaked up the oil with paper towels, changing them frequently until I wasn't picking up any more grease. After dehydrating, I kept it in the freezer, as I do with all my dehydrated meals. It lasted over two weeks on a trip! I don't think it would last more than a month at room temperature due to the remaining fat content, but it works and tastes a treat. I used it for pulled pork burritos and also with jalepeno&cheddar biscuits on the same trip. Mmmmmmmmm.
Also, I've found the best way to rehydrate it (and other one-pot meals) is to just dump it in a dry pan, add water to cover by an inch, bring to a boil, and then cook to the consistency you like by either adding more water or reducing the liquid.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 1:38 pm 

I realized I never re-posted after my trip. The pork didnt rehydrate well at all. It was terrible and dry. I havent had issues rehydrating meat before, so Im not sure what happened.

When I came home, I had a second batch left over in the freezer, and tried it under controlled conditions, as to make sure that nothing in the field had led to the poor results. Alas, the same conclusion. Even after a very long time rehydrating, the meat was jerky. I dont know where the issue is, maybe the fact that I used a lean cut of pork? Maybe I over dehydrated? If anyone knows where I went wrong, please let me know, since this meal would rock if it was more palatable.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 10:13 am 

Try it with a pork shoulder/butt with the full fat, you can put it in the fridge before dehydrating and take the solidified fat off the top before dehydrating. This might not be perfect to get all the fat off, but last year it lasted over a week outside the freezer. Use the rinse method from AndrewMC if you need it to last months unfrozen. I did that last year and it turned out great for me. Did you taste any of it before dehydrating? Trying to slow cook very lean meat will tend to make it hard even without the dehydrating step.

Paul

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2016, 9:01 am 

anyone done this since with better results? We have a trip soon and a 6lb Boston Butt . For two its too much
We will smoke it first so fat is not an issue. I really don't want four days straight at home of pulled pork.

Should I try to dehydrate leftovers and put through a food processor? Or will I get something like baby food?

The alternate meat is already packed. Spam......