View topic - Vacuum sealing canned stuff

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 10:10 am 

Has anyone tried taking the contents of a can of tuna, salmon, chicken, etc and vacuum sealing it? Think it would change the shelf life much? Would be handy..

Matt

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 11:00 am 

You can but you need a pressure canner. Using the boil in a pot method can lead to food poisoning.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 11:44 am 

ChristineCanoes wrote:
You can but you need a pressure canner. Using the boil in a pot method can lead to food poisoning.

I'm confused by that comment?

I just mean take the contents of a can of tuna, put it in a vacuum sealing bag and then vacuum seal it with a foodsaver machine.

Matt

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 12:03 pm 

Dehydrate the tuna. It will last all summer and weigh virtually nothing. I dehydrate onion & green pepper as well and mix it together with the dehydrated tuna.

Dehydrating is the way to go with most, if not all of your camp meals. Pick up a decent dehydrator - you won't regret it. I use the Excalibur 9 Tray with the non-stick drying sheets. You can dehydrate sauces, soups, stews...whatever.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 12:14 pm 

As soon as you break the seal on the can it is no longer sterile. I would treat the contents no differently from any can I open at home and don't finish with my dinner - if able to refrigerate properly I might keep it for a day or so, a couple hours if not properly refrigerated but out of the sun, a few minutes if warm.

Exclusion of oxygen will work a bit to slow the spoilage, but I that isn't even a help against botulism. Botulism sucks and boiling before eating doesn't destroy the toxin produced by the anaerobic Clostridium botulinum bacteria.

All of the items you mention (tuna, salmon, chicken) are things that will spoil very easily and that I wouldn't mess with.

I think ChristineCanoes is referring to a method of sterilizing the contents of the bag.

You can buy foil pouches of tuna, chicken, etc. I think that may be what you are really after. It's similar or the same as the canned stuff, but uses a bag rather than can as the packaging.

And dehydrators are great.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 12:17 pm 

Hey thanks! Yeah, now I understand Christine's comment!

I've never seen pouches of tuna before...where do they sell them?

I do have a dehydrator! Never really occurred to me to dehydrate fish...doh. Project for next weekend!

Mat

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 1:30 pm 

Pouches of Tuna are available in most large grocery chains in Ontario. Chicken in pouches, I haven't seen in Ontario, but are available in US stores.

Also, what is wrong with simply bringing a can of tuna, chicken, shrimps, corned beef etc. with you if you are camping on Crown land? (either wash or burn out the empty can and bring it and the lid out with you).

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 1:41 pm 

Unfortunately the really nice chicken in a pouch (Bumble Bee brand) is no longer made.

Tyson Foods in the US still sell some sort of chicken in a pouch product but IIRC it's not the single serving seasoned type like Bumble Bee had a few years ago.
I have never seen chicken in a pouch anywhere in Canada (the Starkist Tuna & Salmon are still around but not as common as they were 10 years ago. I don't think they sold that well at double the price of cans).

Like Mac says, the canned tuna/chicken works fine and unless you are on a very long trip (or in a PP) carrying a few small empty cans is no hardship.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 4:08 pm 

Chicken in foil pouches is disappearing locally. I haven't been able to find it for some time. Also gone is smoked salmon which was such a good canoe tripping food.

Sure you can get clams and shrimp in cans but I have not tried to dehydrate those. I fear clams would remain rubber balls. We used to be able to get both in foil pouches too as well as crab.

When you vacuum seal a content of a can without dehydrating I would think you are aiming for spoilage and illness.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2014, 6:26 am 

I dried some pre-cooked frozen shrimp one year and was disappointed with the result. One meal consumed within a few months of drying was OK . When I went to get some more dried shrimp out of the freezer several months later, for another trip, it had a very distinctive ammonia odour, indicating some decomposition had occurred during storage.
If I was going to try drying shrimp again, I would only dry enough for one seasons use.

I have had better luck drying crab flavoured pollock, but again I only dry what I might need for a season.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2014, 8:51 am 

I have tried drying shrimp too. Cooked of course. I had the same ammonia problem . The shrimp had been dehydrated only a month pre trip. I suspect the water composition of shrimp is so high and cellular construction prohibits complete drying. I've also bought shrimp already dried at Asian markets. Taste is Awful! I'll haul the can and avoid can ban parks