It is currently October 15th, 2019, 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fish Frying Experts
PostPosted: March 24th, 2014, 4:54 pm 

I fry fillets with whatever oil is at hand. I notice olive oil is
now popular. Is one oil clearly more suited at frying fish in
field conditions than others? Human health is not the interest
I want simply the oil that consistently produces the best golden
fillet.Or as I suspect they are pretty equal .

Post subject: Re: Fish Frying Experts
PostPosted: March 24th, 2014, 5:23 pm 

Coconut Oil!

Has a higher smoke point and stays solid (less chance of container leakage).

When you first put it in the pan you will get a strong waft of coconut aroma but if you can taste it at all when the fish is done it's an improvement.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2014, 6:04 pm 

I'll bite! (get it, ha ha!)

I have been using olive oil exclusively for about 15 years now for my one pot meals and for frying pancakes and fish. I use open fire and white gas stove, and last summer I used an alcohol stove. My fish turns out good as usual with all heat sources. I don't use any breading, I just fry as-is, and sprinkle with Tex-Mex seasoning.

In a fry pan, olive oil will spit and splatter quite a lot, so be aware that it will leave a scent around your cook area, so I recommend not cooking anywhere near your sleeping area with it.

I am guessing its not the best frying oil, but I don't care because I am an olive oil nut, and its what I use. I will say that I have learned that you don't need a lot of heat to fry fish, so if the frypan is really spitting and splattering badly, there is probably too much heat anyway.

This winter for cooking fish in the hot tent, I started using an aluminum pie plate over my frypan as an oven lid. This is my baking rig for bannock. It works extremely well for fish, and it contains the fat splatter nicely. It works very well for cooking lake trout in the round (gutted, skin on). You know how thick lake trout can be in the round, and at home one usually wraps in foil and bakes in the oven instead of frying. Well the pan and lid bannock rig worked very well. I flip it only once. I will see if I can post a photo for that. I am working on a video showing that, but editing will be a while before I can upload.

For video showing frying walleye fillets in olive oil over an open fire, you can see this at the 9:04 mark in this video link below. The image in the thumbnail is pancakes in olive oil starting at 4:05, and before that is OvaEasy eggs starting at 3:28. This should make you hungry :D

PostPosted: March 24th, 2014, 9:15 pm 

I use olive oil or butter for most of my frying, but for fish, I deep pan fry in lard and Rocky Madsen's ... wicked good!

PostPosted: March 25th, 2014, 7:56 am 

For fish frying my favourite is ghee. The advantage of ghee is that all the milk solids are removed (i.e., it is clarified butter) so it won't spoil. However, if you're more into oil I'd suggest grape seed oil. It fries very hot, perfect for a fish fry.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2014, 1:10 pm 

Yup, grape seed oil. I also use olive oil. And I too have taken ghee on canoe trips.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2014, 3:57 pm 

Here's a chart of cooking oils and their "smoke points"

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/collecte ... points.htm

The experts say that fish oil should be at about 360°F or higher, you want an oil that can reach that temperature without burning. Since camp cooking temperature control is probably not as good as at home it's likely you will see higher temperatures so a high smoke point is even more important.

If the temperature is correct there will be little oil flavour imparted into the fish so the "taste" of the oil is less important than it's good temperature range.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2014, 5:50 pm 

Thanks recped for the chart . No
More grabbing whatever oil is handy time to simply pick a brand
and stick with it.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2014, 7:30 pm 

D.B Cooper wrote:
Thanks recped for the chart . No
More grabbing whatever oil is handy time to simply pick a brand
and stick with it.

Multiple brand/types still rule just depends on the application.

Of course for the thrifty paddler "whatever oil" usually means whatever is the cheapest! The nice thing about oil is the long shelf life.....watch for those specials.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2014, 8:03 pm 

In a camp group, we carried either corn oil or canola oil in bulk, both of which worked well for frying fish. On extended trips, we would let the oil cool and then pour back into a separate container to save "fish oil" for the next time. On occasion, we even added a bit of bacon grease for flavor and variety, although I couldn't imagine frying anything in bacon grease at home!

The key to frying fish successfully is to have the oil warm enough before putting the fish into the pan. If it's too cool, the breading - if any - soaks up the grease and you end up with a soggy mess. If it's too hot, the breading burns before the fish is cooked. When the oil temperature is just right, the fish is heavenly.