View topic - Dynel fabric available

It is currently September 16th, 2019, 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dynel fabric available
PostPosted: May 16th, 2019, 12:43 am 

I have obtained a small quantity of Dynel fabric. Dump your Kevlar felt and use this superior highly abrasion resistant fabric instead! (search the forums for "skid plates" for more info).

None of the usual Canadian suppliers carry this particular product, ordering a single yard from the USA is very expensive so I've brought in much more than I need for my own uses (a single yard 54" x 36" is enough for many skid plates).

I can supply a single yard for CA$24 including shipping (plus applicable GST/HST).

You can contact me directly via the email link below.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2019, 6:51 am 

That's great, thanks recped - email sent!

PostPosted: June 6th, 2019, 4:11 pm 

Hi, I've had my Swift Adirondack 13.6 Pack Canoe with no skid plates for 2 years, so there's some wear and tear below the bow. Hence I'm also considering your Dynel and some G/Flex from amazon.ca, but first I have two questions, please.

First, I read a review at [url]mec.ca[/url], where someone got feedback from the G/Flex manufacturer that they didn't recommend G/Flex 655 Thickened for skid plates using kevlar pads. They recommended their less-viscous G/Flex 650 Toughened instead. Amazon.ca sells both at about the same price. Has anyone tried this with Dynel?

Second, I have an old tube of AquaMend (a boat epoxy with fiberglass fibers in it) that has expired so I'm looking for a way to use it up. It would be ideal if I could just apply that to the skid plate area as a much simpler (and free!) alternative. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks, and happy paddling.
...Terry

PostPosted: June 6th, 2019, 5:48 pm 

I don't know about Aquamend, just had a quick look, It doesn't look like it would work at all, as it would not easily saturate the fabric.

My "advisors" also recommended the 650 over the 655. I have used the 655 for applying s-glass slid plates and small patches but the dynel would probably wet out much better with the 650.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2019, 6:07 pm 

I agree about the 650 and Dynel being the best solution. My second question was whether the Aquamend would be useful (not as good, but still useful) as a skid plate on its own, without fabric, since it has fibers in it.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2019, 11:57 pm 

My s-glass skids (started as 4 layer) wear through quite quickly, I've been adding a new layer every year with a couple of spots seriously worn. S-glass is better than regular glass cloth so I doubt Aquamend would be much good. Even my older boats with kevlar felt wear through in spots and thus I am trying the Dynel which is supposed to be the most abrasion resistant material.

The nice thing about the s-glass is that it's nearly invisible on my yellow canoe until you get within a foot or two. The Dynel will be obvious but such is life.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2019, 2:13 pm 

A quick shout out to recped for the quick turnaround on the dynel. Received it well packed and quickly. Thanks! :thumbup:

PostPosted: June 19th, 2019, 5:37 am 

Package received Mr Recped - thanks very much!

PostPosted: June 20th, 2019, 2:13 pm 

Got mine too - yay! Thanks, recped. But hmmm, my amazon.ca order for peel ply hasn't arrived, nor has the 3rd party seller responded to my query. Anyone out there have a source for peel ply, or are you using something else as an outer layer during curing?
...Terry

PostPosted: June 20th, 2019, 4:59 pm 

What's peel ply something to protect it while it cures?
West systems makes a special type of plastic for that which does not stick to the epoxy - I have some somewhere. Forget what it is called though. I got it at the Chandlery here in Ottawa - they have a website.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2019, 5:00 pm 

They call it "release fabric"

https://www.thechandleryonline.com/prod ... ts_id=4041

PostPosted: June 20th, 2019, 5:25 pm 

Peel Ply, Release fabric, both the same thing. You don't have to use it (I never have previously), it simply allows you to squeege the skid plates to aid in ensuring good saturation without using too much epoxy. It also leaves a slightly rough surface (the fine weave of the fabric) which helps if you plan to paint the skid plates (I don't).

Years ago I used plastic wrap to accomplish the same thing, probably doesn't work as well.

The Dynel will swell when you add the epoxy, if you use a lot of pressure to compress it you will probably avoid the "dreaded" thick and ugly thing you normally get when you use Kevlar felt.

You can order release fabric / peel ply from Noah's Marine, Composites Canada or Plastic World, probably others as well, anyone who sells fibreglass and epoxy should have it.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2019, 6:11 pm 

Oh OK then just order from the link I provided above ...