View topic - Winter Campout

It is currently November 20th, 2019, 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 4:56 pm 

Sure wish I was down your way, I'd love to join the group. Have never done winter camping, but am planning on getting into it this winter. I have a 3 season Eureka tent and have heard that if you put it in close to the trees you can us it in the winter. Has anyone ever used a 3 season tent in the winter? I am Thunder Bay and it can get rather cold.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 5:11 pm 

Quote:
On 2002-10-31 06:29, scouter Joe wrote:
Lloyd you are welcome to stay with us before and after the trip . Scouter Joe

Thanks! It'll be good to see you & Carol again.

I'll be bringing Sam & Kate, the young English couple from work. They would prefer Thurday to Sunday, so I guess I'm doing the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 5:17 pm 

In the winter I like to look for a sheltered spot in the woods . Someplace fairly open and level . A source for firewood nearby . Water availability is nice but not as important as in the summer . You can melt snow . If your goal is fishing then near a lake is important . Some people set up on the lake but the wind can be a concern and cold air settles in low areas . Scouter Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 5:21 pm 

Great we'll look foreward to seeing you again . If this campout goes as well as last year it should be a blast . Scouter Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 5:21 pm 

Quote:
On 2002-10-31 16:56, Debbie wrote:...I have a 3 season Eureka tent and have heard that if you put it in close to the trees you can us it in the winter. Has anyone ever used a 3 season tent in the winter? I am Thunder Bay and it can get rather cold.....
I've used a Timberline in Killarney in mid-winter. No problem. The tent is not warm (your sleeping bag will have to handle that) and the A-frame sheds snow just fine. Just stay in the shelter of the trees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 5:26 pm 

Quote:
On 2002-10-31 16:56, Debbie wrote:
Has anyone ever used a 3 season tent in the winter? I am Thunder Bay and it can get rather cold.....

As Erhard has said, the season-rating is only about being able to shed snowload, for the most part. No tent is warm unless it has an external source of heat. When you're sleeping in it, the temp inside will almost be the same as the temperature inside (less the wind chill). A candle lantern can make a little bit of difference, but you're relying on your sleeping bag to hold the body heat in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 5:52 pm 

The dates are fine with me and 3 days in the bush is just right. Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 7:19 pm 

Hi all, anytime in February works for me, set some dates and lets go! I'm definitely in for an longer trip(Mike/Georgi)if the interest is there and the Tue - Sun timeframe works for me. I have several possible areas off the Budd car route that I'm waiting for fishing information on, but once the date(s) are set we can then start the "where to" part!

Sid

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: smokey on 2002-10-31 19:21 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 7:36 pm 

We will be using a 3 season tent as well. I think we should be looking for an area that is sheltered by the trees, not in the open and close to water or should I say ice. Near a lake where we can dip a line (not take a dip) would be great. I think we would want to be somewhat away from the tracks. I agree with Georgi that it would be nice if we set up a trail or do a little bushwacking and exploring. Has anyone looked to see if there will be a full moon??? Wouldn't it be nice to have a night snowshoe trek??? When we decide where we are getting off the "Budd" I would like to order the topo's and study the area. Any guess yet??
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 7:54 pm 

Debbie,
I spend half of my winter outings in a cold tent and the other half in quinzhees. As quinzhees take most of the day to build they're not for anyone on the move - that's why tenting is the only practical way to move about in the winter.

Richard was right on when he states that a cold tent is a really cold tent. I use a three-season sleeping bag in a quinzhee or hot-tent but in a cold tent is use
1) reflective ground sheet under a
2) hard foam mattress which is under a
3) thermarest
4) minus 20 down bag
5) fleece liner in down bag
6) poly fleece underwear, socks and toque
7) on occasion my extra large 3 season bag over everything.

May I respectively suggest you try your winter system out someplace within 20 feet of a cabin, car or your own back-door.
Minus 25 and 5 miles from safety is no time to find out your ideas didn't work.

If you want, I can send you several lists of pers gear, sleeping gear and general tips. I hand them out teaching Scouters, Scouts and students. Might help.
p.s. played safe winter camping is a hoot!
cheers, and keep your toes warm.
Ted

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TripperTed on 2002-10-31 19:55 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 8:09 pm 

Dan, the Pogamasing(41-I/13) and the Low Water Lake(41P/4) are the two 1:50000 maps that I'm using at present to look for areas for this trip. There are a few real likely looking spots along the rwy where you can away but still be fairly close to get out if required. I have some enquiries out with some folks as to fishing and species in a few named and unnamed lakes and will post the info in next couple weeks when I get it.
Sid

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 8:40 pm 

Can anyone answer a few questions that I have in regard to bringing my short-hair yellow Lab on a winter trip?

Is there more of a danger to her if the temperatures drop to very cold? I am not worried at all about my husky...but the Lab will need some extra protection. Booties and some type of coat for starters.
Any suggestions and previous experiences? I'd hate to have her miss out on all the fun.

Thanks,

Mike S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 9:58 pm 

Can I also ask:

How many are you are familiar with the Superior? The Budd Car?

Just in case there's two different arrival or departure dates for the group.

Along with smokey's idea of topo, I think we all need to really get an idea of where we're all going to be...you know, the loved one's might get all worked up over the train being a day or two late....or whatever

Georgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 10:34 pm 

I'm in just myself, can do the sugested week Tuesday to Sat.
Mike you could drive with me if you like have a supercab so there is room for the dogs.
Goergi with the Bud car you just stand beside the track and it will stop for you in case you want out early, we know you can never stay warm.
As far as location Smokey will find us a lake or lakes that on the topo's should only be 2-3 kms from the train tracks. We will arrive at our destination between 12:30 and 1:30 depending if the train is on schedule.
Feb is a long way off yet.
Bill Poort

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 11:01 pm 

I guess it's the tripper in me Bill?

Just love to peruse where I'm going, how I'm getting there etc.....

I have got the snowshoes ready! ( new batch of spar varnish) and I know that the quiet one has has gotten snowshoes for his anniversary ( if you could believe that!?)

temps are finally where I can enjoy them and planning a trip is all the more fun.

( topo-maps are in hand!)
Georgi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Georgi on 2002-10-31 23:02 ]</font>

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next